Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
colcannon

Posted by bengardening (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 19:17

Can someone please post their recipe for this. I wan to make it at work but I don't know how. The recipe I looked at said to warm the cabbage and potatoes in pan and then put it in a glass bowl and brown it in the oven. I don't understand how you would heat it up in a pan without scorching it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: colcannon

I don't follow a recipe. After I cook the potatoes and cabbage I mash the potatoes a bit, add them to a pan with butter and mix in the cooked cabbage, then add a bit of milk or cream. I have never scorched them, just make sure you have enough butter in the pan and reheat on low. Or you can just put them together in a casserole dish and reheat in the oven

o

It's just like any other casserole that you put in the oven so why do you think you would burn it.....just cook it at say 350 till it is nice and piping hot...and brownish on top... I actually do mine on the stove top...

o

This is the recipe I used. I was even better tonight. I saw lots of recipes that called for kale instead of cabbage and I may try that some day. I didn't measure 2 lbs. of potatoes--just peeled and diced 3 large baking potatoes. It's just like making mashed potatoes 'cept for the cabbage.

COLCANNON

2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
3 cups thinly shredded cabbage
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel potatoes and dice into one inch cubes. Place potatoes into a pot, and cover with water, and place over a medium to high heat. Simmer them for about 15 minutes or until tender. During the last five minutes of the potatoes cooking time, add the cabbage so it will cook. Drain all vegetables and place into a bowl or back into the pot. Add heavy cream and butter; mash the potatoes and cabbage together with either a potato masher or a hand held mixer. Season to with salt and pepper to taste, before serving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here