SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

old radio shows

sheilajoyce_gw
10 years ago

My siblings and I have been group emailing each other about the old radio shows we remember listening to as kids. Some were after school or Saturday morning shows, and others were weeknights when Dad would turn on his shows which we enjoyed too. He liked Fred Allen, Tallulah Bankhead, Fibber McGee and Molly, and the Edgar Bergan Show. I loved Mortimer Snerd and Charlie McCarthy, and the Fibber McGee and Molly show. He also liked Baby Snooks, who I thought was funny. Then my older sister would tune in to Gang Busters, which scared me, Mr. Keen Tracer of Missing Persons, Dragnet, and the short series Mr. President, where the name of the President was not revealed till the last sentence of the show, Inner Sanctum.

The kiddie shows we liked were the Green Hornet, Sgt Preston of the Yukon, Sky King, Let's Pretend, the Buster Brown Show (especially, "Pluck your magic twanger, Froggie!), Big John and Sparky, the Cinnamon Bear at Christmas.

TV did not come to our town till the 1950s. But the old radio shows were the best.

Comments (17)