Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Computer help please

Posted by scissors (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 17:59

I have two computers and a netbook and all three are working very, very slow. Any ideas why? I just had the one computer in the shop so I doubt it's a virus. I'm thinking maybe the modem is starting to go?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Computer help please

Unplug your modem for about a minute and plug it back in and try your computer(s) again. See if that improves the speed.

o

Yes first thing to always try is a power down and power up in specific sequence. Power disconnect the computers, the router and modem, leave for about 5 minutes, that allows it to flush and re register, then power up first the modem let it get fully lit up, power up the router let it get fully lit up, power up the computers. That sequence quite often helps.

o

I agree with the reboot, but also you might need to do a cleanup on the computers. Start with reboot and go from there.

o

How about a simple defrag if it wasn't done by the store. That can do wonders to increase the productivity and speed of your systems.

Anne

o

Windows 7 does defrag automatically no need to worry about that, however we don't know what windows versions these are. Since all computers are experiencing the problem it is likely not computer specific. Doing malwarebytes scans, clearing caches, and deleting temp Internet files is always recommend.

o

Windows 7 does defrag automatically

Yes, it does...but...it's not always timely.

Doing malwarebytes scans, clearing caches, and deleting temp Internet files is always recommend.

I agree.

Anne

o

Check how much RAM is operating:

Open the Control Panel and click on System.

It should list several facts about your computer's system and how much RAM it sees. If you are supposed to have 2 Gb of memory, but see only 1 Gb, then a memory card could be missing or poorly seated, or the memory card is bad.

Just because you machine has been in the shop, do not assume that everything is ok inside the case. I had a tech attemp to give my computer a checkup. He called me and said it had failed and he could not figure out exactly what the problem was, but I was probably due for a new computer. I took it home and during boot up, saw only 1 gb flash on the screen and I knew it should have had 2 gb. I opened the case and found that one memory board was not seated; On one end, the clamp was hanging open and the board was partly out of its socket. I reseated the memory card and that was the end of the problem. Apparently, the memory board had been disturbed during their check out and had not been fully reseated.

Win XP ran ok with 2 GB of memory, but Win 7 likes a lot more. Performance deterioates if there isn't enough memory.

Open the task manager:

Control panel>Performance Information and Tools>Advanced Tools> Task Manager

Or do:

Ctrl+Alt+Del and then choose Task Manager.

This will show you all the processes that are running and memory used. Most of the processes are system related and you'll recognize such things as printer programs, etc. What you are looking for is a memory hog that is not supposed to be there. The computer may crash or behave badly if you close an essential program. Do not confuse the two 'explorer' s. "I. e. explorer" is the browser; plain explorer is the system.

If you mess up the computer by closing an essential program, it is fixable by shuting down and rebooting.

Some anti-virus programs will slow the computer considerable. Open your anti-virus program and examine tis settings. Is it running scans all the time? Does it run in background or foregound?

Another big hit is having 2 firewalls running. If you are using the firewall in your anti-virus program, turn off the firewall in Windows. Use one or the other, but never both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here