Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Niagara Falls

Posted by Nita__AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 17:37

I knew there were several people in the Niagara Falls area. Lindalou, do you live on the Canadian side or the US side? If on the US side do you have a passport? We have passports and are able to go over. I know it is supposed to be more spectacular on the Canadian side.

Also doesn't Marcia live near Niagara Falls, Ontario? The more the merrier!!!

We will be camping on the US side since we will be putting my cousin, Timm, on a flight home from Buffalo. Then we would cross into Canada to go to Windsor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Niagara Falls

Yes, Nita, go to the Canadian side!!! The falls are very impressive from there!

Moni

o

Yes Marcia lives not that far from Niagara. Just a hop, skip and a jump by car.

o

Yes, the Canadian view is supposed to be better. I'm so glad you're coming to this area!

o

I've crossed the border without a passport. Most border guards will just look at you and size you up. If you have a US-issued drivers license they will generally let you through (both ways). The view of the Falls is definitely better from the Canadian side.

o

Yes, you should have a passport. Not only to get into Canada, but to get back. The US is far more particular about those entering or reentering.

o

i live on the US side and don't have a passport. maybe, i can get one til then. :)

o

I wouldn't try to go across without a passport. They are easy to get and it doesn't take long to get them either. Go to the Post Office and get the form. You will need a photo, which you can get at Walmart or the Post Office. Fill the form out and take it back to the Post Office with a certified copy of your birth certificate.

o

If you are in that area don't miss Niagara by the Sea--I think that is the name. It is a very small town that is very similar to England. Cucumber sandwiches, high tea (by reservation) and such a neat town. Hope that is right! It was worth it!!!
Marie

o

Niagara on the Lake is the place you mean. Well worth seeing.

o

Janie, when did you crossed the border without a passport? I'm asking because the requirement had been changed since December 2006.

Before Dec. 2006, a proof of citizenship was all it required for Canada and Mexico. Now either a US passport book or a passport card is required.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

HI NITA! You sure travel fast. Seemed like just yesterday, you were with us in Houston. Have fun and if you can, please post photos of Niagara Fall (^_^) Have a safe trip!

Here is a link that might be useful: Passport Book vs. Passport Card

o

Thank you for the correction. Don't know how far it is but I don't think it is very far. We were in the summer and all the flowers/plants are the same as in England and there were several neat gift shops. DH thought he was in England again. Worth the trip.

o

with all the fuss about drugs the last few days you will need either the enhanced drivers licence or a passport for sure....

apparently detroit bridge is hot spot for cocaine, and the tunnel for marijuana...crazy..what else could go wrong for the big "d"??

o

Part of Niagara Falls as seen from the US side.

o
RE: Niagara Falls-2

Buildings in Canada viewed through the mist of Niagara Falls.

o

You really need to go to the Canadian side to see the Horsershoe Falls. Decades ago I really enjoyed the Maid of the Mist boat tour and the caves tour.

o

i live on the US side and don't have a passport. maybe, i can get one til then. :)

o

Taken 2003 on my cross country ride... and no, after seeing this, I didn't go to the falls on the US side.

photo Ontario016.jpg

photo Ontario017.jpg

and I was up at Niagara on the lake too. Definitely worth seeing... as where several other sights along there.

photo Ontario011.jpg

o

Every year they change the design of the Floral Clock, and it is worth seeing. Right beside it is the Lilac Gardens with many different varieties. When they are in bloom it is fantastic. The Horticultural School is also worth seeing and it is that way. Lots of picnic places on route as well.

o

Heather, there was this "little old man" that literally picked me up along the road. He drove me all over, and showed me his favorite sights. I just wish, my camera would have worked better.

Moni

o

Niagara on the Lake - Victorian bakery makes the best Empire Biscuits I have ever eaten and Niagara area ice wines are some of the best in the world.

You do need a passport on both sides of the border.

o

The last time I visited Niagara Falls Canada was August 2010. No problem crossing either way, even tho I was in a rental car.(Supposedly a "red flag" to border guards). I now have a US passport. But I'm not up to travelling that far right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here