Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dinner St. Patrick's Day?

Posted by patti43 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 17:08

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! It was so sunny all day, but now it's a little overcast.

Tonight for dinner we're having corned beef, colcannon, cooked carrots and mint Klondike bars (for the green color and because they're so darned good). This is my first try at colcannon, but it's very easy.

What are you having for dinner tonight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dinner St. Patrick's Day?

Marie Callender's beef pot pies. And leftover apple crumble pie.

o

I've heard of colcannon Patti, and I've meant to try it, but keep forgetting. It's cabbage and potatoes, right? How was it?

Today was a cold and sunny day. Hubby went out and shovelled the snow from under the clothes line and I hung out our sheets and towels!! Yum, smell so good!

A friend recommended Basa fish recently. I had never heard of it, and know that you are quite the fish-lover, with your tilapia. It turns out that it was on sale this week, half-price. We bought a package and I liked the look of the fillets, so we went and bought 2 more today, without even trying it. 6 frozen fillets in a bag, for $5, regular $10.

I made it tonite, heavily seasoned with my spice mix, in a skillet. Along with it we had stir-fried veggies and rice. We both loved it. I'll have to think of different ways to serve it. I'll go back on the seafood thread that we had a few weeks ago and see if something tempts me. We don't eat fish at all, even though I know it's so healthy.

o

I was going to lie and say "snake", but no, we're having chicken.

Both DH and I have a bit o' Irish in us. You?

o

Ham and cabbage.
With a box of irish potatoes for dessert.

o

No Irish fare here. Just leftovers from last night... porkchop, mashed potatoes/gravy, with peas instead of corn.

That colcannon sounds pretty good. Especially since I like both mashed potatoes AND cabbage.

Shirley

o

Kath, I've never tried the beef pies, but I love the chicken. Did you like the beef?

Jasdip, we haven't eaten yet, but colcannon sure is easy to make. Now that's dedication on both your parts for DH to shovel and you to hang out sheets in the snow!! Were they "crispy"?

Chisue--:-) You know snake tastes just like chicken, don't you? Yep, I'm 1/4 Irish. My grandfather was a baby and his siblings very young (I think there were 9 of them) when they came to the states. Grew up hearing that brogue.

Monica, isn't St. Patrick's day a big deal in PA or do I have the wrong day? Someplace there is a huge parade--I was thinking it was Philly.

o

Corned beef (slow roasted in the oven), baby red taters and cabbage. Can't wait for dinner!

o

Nothing special here for my supper. Bologna sandwiches and iced tea.

Sue

o

Since it's just me tonight, I bought a single serving of c. beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage at the grocery store. Yum. Am wearing a bright-green shirt!

o

Shirley, the colcannon was very good, but I couldn't distinguish the cabbage taste with the potatoes.

Angelaid, corned beef always tastes so good to me because it isn't something we eat a lot of during the year--and that makes it special. Enjoy yours!

Marilyn, at least you didn't have to cook it ;-)

Sjerin, what a great idea--I forgot the deli depts. offer it. I have on a green sweatshirt.

o

Yes, there was a parade in center city Phila...sponsored by the AOH (Ancient Order of Hibernians)

o

Does anyone else find it hard to picture *Marilyn Sue* with just a bologna sandwich and iced tea? Can't be.

o

I slow roasted my corned beef brisket in the oven also(in beer) along with baby red potatoes and baby carrots, steamed the cabbage, it was all excellent.

My mothers fathers family was from Ireland or so we have been told, never did any ancestry on them but would be interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here