Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wedding Gift for Gay Couple

Posted by enjoyingspring (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 16:59

My Nephew and his partner are getting married this summer, They are both in their early fifties. I would like to get them a fun gift but can't think of anything. They certainly don't need anything for themselves or home they have been living together for 25 years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wedding Gift for Gay Couple

Restaurant or movie gift cards?

o

think of their hobbies, and what they love, theater, music, food, etc. go with something associated. I had a couple friends that loved to dance, and I got them salsa dance lessons, they had a blast and learned something new that they can do together.

o

Congratulations to them! I don't know if you are considering the fact that they are gay to be part of the equation, but the fact that you identified it as such seems so. What would you give a hetero couple in this circumstance and why would them being gay change that? It doesn't matter. They have proven themselves to be a wonderfully committed couple and are now formalizing it. Why would you highlight that they are a gay couple when asking a question about a gift?

Are they registered anywhere?

Above all, I would suggest that you help celebrate that they have found that special person to share love and life with. That crosses all boundaries.

o

I'd give them the same thing I give all newly-weds--cash! If they are planning a honeymoon, it always comes in handy and after 25 years, surely something needs replaced--sheets, pots and pans, etc.

o

I don't think you can go wrong with gift cards.

o

Just an additional thought. You said they don't need anything for themselves or home because they have been together for 25 years. Well, after 25 years, wouldn't they be ready for some new things?

I would bet good money that they are registered someplace.

o

Depending on what they like, gift cards to: movies, theatre, restaurants, sporting event, golf courses. And yes, after 25 years, new sheets and towels might be fun, so maybe a card to an upscale home furnishing place? I'd love to register again and get some new things and I've only been married 12 years!

Are they sending out formal wedding invitations? You could have it nicely framed for them?

Congrats to them!

o

A donation in their name to something they care about?

o

When my aunt & her husband celebrated their silver wedding anniversary, I couldn't think of anything they needed that they wouldn't have bought for themselves, so I went for the "small" & personal.

They liked to drink coffee together every morning, so I gave them 2 nice insulated mugs & a pound of Kona coffee.

When my brother & sister-in-law got married, I gave them a framed print of a (enlarged) photo I'd taken of them at my grandmother's house after their wedding;
they were standing under a big pecan tree we used to climb when we were little (hid from many a grown-up in that tree!).

Something needlepoint would be nice, maybe, as someone suggested above, something commemorating the wedding.

o

Gift Cards/money are always the way to go if in doubt.

o

I want to give them a "Keepsake", something they can look at to remember the day. They DO NOT need gift certificates, sheets or pots and pans.

It doesn't have to be expensive, something fun and memorable.

o

Take some of the special pictures that you have of them and make an album or a collage etc etc...If you could do it of the wedding it would be really meaningful.

o

I can't think of a "keepsake " that would be fun and memorable. I may not be thinking along the same lines as you, but I think of " tchotchkes" when I hear the word "keepsake ". I'm drawing a blank.

Do they collect something in particular? Are you thinking in terms of a figurine or collectible? What kinds of items are crossing your mind?

Getting married after years and years of being denied is pretty momentous.

o

How about a Photo Blanket? ... basically a blanket with a personal photo or custom graphic on it. WalMart offers several options and prices.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: WalMart Photo Blankets

o

What about a sterling silver frame engraved with the date and maybe their initials? They could use it to frame their wedding picture.

Other ideas:
Name a star for them as a couple
Plant a tree in their name (or give them one for their garden)
Give them a commemorative garden bench
Have a plaque made for their house engraved with "Established and the date of their wedding"

o

I went to my cousin's house a couple of weeks ago. They just got married this past fall. They had a wooden engraved wine box with a bottle of wine. It had a lock on it and it was engraved with their names and the month and day of their marriage but the year 2037 (25 years in the future) to be opened 25 years from now on their anniversary. They were in their mid 20's but you could do something like that to be opened 1 year from now. It looked really cool. She said she googled wine box and there was lots to choose from. It was very cool.

o

Maybe a photo book, like from Shutterfly? You can use text, so you could personalize it with stories.

o

we got something really nice on our silver anniversary from a close friend, it was a silver goblet but it was in two halves that fit together to form one, a figure s shape, with our names and date engraved on each half. I have them in my living room on a shelf. Very unique.

o

When my DH and I got married almost 34 years ago~~~I had a stained glass piece made, it is circular with a butterfly in the center (for the rebirth of our relationship) and our names and the date etched around it~~~has hung in our kitchen window from day 1. When my DS got married we had one made for him and his bride~~~it is more beautiful than ours, it is a mountain scene with trees, and a creek they are out door kinda people. My son cried when he saw it~~they hang it in their living room.

o

Since they're getting married in the Summer, how about a really nice picnic basket, outfitted with everything they will need -- plates, utensils, glasses, napkins, tablecloth/blanket, a nice bottle of wine, and wine bottle opener. Include a gift certificate from an upscale "deli" so they can get some cheese, fruit, crackers, etc., of their liking. It's a gift that can be used over and over again and will always remind them of their wedding and your thoughtfulness.

o

How about something with the new monograms? Etched bar glasses. Monogrammed towels or pillowcases or napkins.

o

i'm hoping my ds1's mil and her partner have the same oppertunity someday...they're both avid readers so i'd make a donation to the library...

or find a special frame for the wedding picture...(they, too have everything)

mostly i'd give my attendance!

o

Scissors.....I like your idea of a wood wine box with an engraving on it. I just think I may go with that, it is something they can keep. Will put their names and date of wedding on it. Thanks for that idea.

o

Fun2bhere had an idea that gave me one...how about donating a parkbench at a local park in their name?

Someplace they visit, so they can sit on "their" bench?

o

"It doesn't have to be expensive, something fun and memorable.
Take some good pictures of the day, the guests, the venue and most of all the couple and load them into a digital photo frame - you can even add music.

o

I like Fun's ideas. One of the nicest wedding gifts I've seen were champagne glasses for each with their initials engraved on them. I remember the glasses came in a special case. They can use them on their anniversary or any special ocassion.

Congrats to the couple!

o

When some friends of ours were married last summer, as they walked back up the aisle (casual aisle as it was a beach wedding), they were holding hands and threw their joined hands in the air and said 'We're hitched'. I was lucky enough to catch a photograph at just the right time - hands held high - and was able to print it and put it in a silver frame in time to take it to the reception with us. They absolutely loved it! So, if you like to take pictures and get lucky enough to catch one at a good time, I think that's always a great option. Or even if you already have a photograph from an earlier occasion.

o

Our daughter-in-law gave us lovely albums from their small wedding for Christmas presents. The photographer gave her the disc of the pictures taken, and she used a site she has used before and made a gorgeous, meaningful album for each set of parents and for them too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here