Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

repairing an enamel pot

Posted by kathleenca (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 2, 09 at 16:53

I have a Vollrath Kook King pot from the '30s. This cookware is enamel over steel. My pot, which I love, has developed a hole about the size of 1 or 2 pin heads in the bottom, where the enamel was chipped before I acquired it.

Does anyone know where or how to fix this pot? I have contacted the manufacturer, done some Google searching & called the one enameling company in my area (which does only aerospace work & doesn't know another company).

I have also posted this on the Cooking forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Kook King pot - different style than mine

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: repairing an enamel pot

You used to be able to buy little washers to patch pots with. I have an old glass jar with a metal lid that has two, maybe 3 patches on it.

This is the top.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is the bottom of the lid.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I don't know how effective the patches are on pots. I have seen old pots with patches but that was because people were often not in financial shape to buy a new pot.

I see little enamel pots like that at thrift shops very often. If you are attached to it as a keepsake, I'd just keep it and find another one to use. But...that's me. ;)

RE: repairing an enamel pot

First thing I thought of was what Marilyn said. I have a huge roaster that was mended with them. They are called Mend-its or is it Mend-ets?? They are hard to find though...but I haven't done an online search for them, so you might try that.

RE: vintage

Boy! THey might be really hard to find! LOL
These are vintage,but gives you an idea of how they are or were sold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mendets

RE: repairing an enamel pot

Hi Marilyn,
I just finished reading your post about the baby possums. Boy they are cute! I had no idea their ears were so big - they don't seem particularly noticeable on adults.

At one time I knew about those washers; I appreciate you making the effort to post the pictures. Yes, people used to have to repair many things. I saw a picture somewhere on GW showing a welded crack in a cast iron pot.

You've given me an idea, though; I'll take the pot to our local real hardware store to see if they have an idea. I like this pot a LOT - it's a wonderful green, looks great in my kitchen, & it's a good size for soups, etc. - 4 qts. Instead of handles, it has a bail like a bucket. I want to try to get it fixed before relegating it to plant-growing.

I didn't mention it, but the Kook King enamel pots all had pint & cup measure lines on the inside of the pots. Very handy.

Thanks, Marilyn
P.S. Congratulations on your house!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here