SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Dang mice!!

joyfulguy
11 years ago

The other day, while doing some "organizing" in the living room, I found a Christmas stocking, of the deep red, with white fluffy top, variety, lying in a pile of things.

With a nice hole dug into it ... and nothing apparent inside to attract a mouse.

A few days ago I was going to be carrying on a shortish day, at home, so went to put on a pair of heavy gray wool socks, that had been lying on some books in a bookcase, near where I'd been darning some socks a while ago, but the wool ones were intact, with the tops pulled up over the feet, ready to slip the feet into, then pull up the top ... or so I'd thought. There as a hole chewed into the top of the top sock ... with some chewings lying beside it.

The well water tested as polluted (too close to the former barnyard) when the farm was sold eight years ago, and still smells when hot, so I bring water from the city in jugs for drinking and most cooking.

Some of the mostly formerly cider jugs take to leaking when they get old, or damaged - some seniors can attest to similar circumstances - and I'd repaired one with duct tape a while ago. When I looked at it, sitting on the counter the other day, the duct tape looked unusual ... and a mouse had chewed a corner of it off (but it still held water O.K.).

They chewed one of those pillar-style dispensers that one finds for catsup or mustard in restaurants, a while ago, right down to the level of the catsup inside.

And chewed a hole in a bottle of pancake syrup in the same cupboard ... which I didn't notice till some of the syrup dripped onto the floor.

Last night, having bought a 1.5 quart coated cardboard carton of apple juice yesterday, and not having room for it in the fridge, I placed it on a table in the back porch ... with some trepidation, for mice had chewed stuff there, earlier.

This afternoon, when I came out, there was liquid on the table ... the mouse had chewed some places on the corners of the carton and some of the liquid had come out. The carton is now reclining, quietly, upside down, in the sink. I'd set it on the carpeted stair, at first ... but thought better of that idea ... just in case!

I've caught some in traps ... but the traps sit there quietly, unused, a good bit of the time.

With regard to just yesterday: Mouse/mice ...1 ... Joyful ...0.

ole joyfuelled ... in spite of it all

P.S. One nice thing about it - no family fuss going on in my family food factory.

I get my own way in my kitchen - apart from the (silent) mice, that is.
o j

Comments (27)