Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify Animal Feces (Picture)

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 16:16

aka poop.

Can anyone tell what animal these are from? It is a small pile beneath my bird feeder. I laid the pine needles over it so you could see the size. The 'pellets' are perhaps just a bit over 1/2' long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal poop

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify Animal Feces (Picture)

Deer or rabbits, I'd say. (I realized there's a difference, but I haven't seen either in a while.) :-)

o

I have a rabbit (pet), and domestic rabbits' feces are more round than oblong and quite a bit smaller (although my little guy is only around 6 or 7 pounds). I am not sure about wild rabbits, though. I think it'd have to be a fairly large rabbit. I don't think I've ever seen deer feces, although I know there are some deer in the area.

o

I would say deer...I included a link to a lovely pic of deer poop! LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Poop

o
Yes, Deer

Yep - I think that's it. Gee - I wish I'd seen the deer! It's been a few years since I've seen any in my yard.

o

What a coincidence!

I'm going through pictures right now and came across this one.

It is skunk poop! There were other piles, but not all together like yours.

I took the pic so it could be identified by maintenance and know what to do about it. They did!

Sue

o

Sue - I don't see a picture - - - and I'd like to compare it to mine! (ha ha - let's compare poop. Ugh).

I do know for sure that there are skunks around here, too. I guess I was hoping that it was deer ...

o

I guess it is possible that it's deer but the deer poop I see is rounder than that looks...not so oblong...

o

Sorry, I guess I just pooped out!

Photobucket

Sue

o
Bigfoot, perhaps?

Hmmmm, I don't know, Sue. "Yours" looks moist and stuck together(sorry for being so graphic!). "Mine" is dry and the pieces are separated from each other.

I wasn't able to find a picture of skunk feces on the web. All I could find were descriptions, saying that it's between 1" and 2" or so long. The stuff in my yard isn't - it's about 1/2".

Lions and tigers and bears - oh my!

Suzieque

o

I'd sure like to help ...

... but, unfortunately, in this advanced state of decrepitude ...

... C R S!

ole joyful

o

I checked on Google images and found this pic. It compares Deer skat (poop) with Rabbit skat. Apparently they are often mistaken for one another.
They do look very much alike.

Here is a link that might be useful: comparison of Deer and Rabbit Poop

o

This has got to be the most "unusual" topic yet! LOL

o

Oh, I forgot to mention that "Mine" had been rained on overnight.

Sue

o

I'm not quite sure whether you guys aren't as all wet as the feces under discussion!

ole joy-foul

o

I'm going with deer pebbles. I little deer.

o

Suzieque, whatever it is it is an herbivore. You can tell by the roughage. So you so not have to worry about dangerous coyote or anything attacking your pets.

You can contact a university in your area or wildlife management organization and they could identify it?

Here is a link that might be useful: ID Send Photo

o

Definitely deer, it's in my yard too!!!!!

o

Ok, it's deer! Mush's photo confirmed it. And whatever animal it could've been, I'm very happy to have it in my yard. My pets don't go outside unless on a leash with me, and I wish I could see everything that walks through or pauses in the yard.

Every couple of years a fox family takes up residence in the back of my yard and raises a family; I love to watch them. I'm always afraid my reactionary neighbors will do something like try to poisen them or else call animal control to trap and remove them. I like having them there! They are more afraid and cautious of us than we are of them.

Ok, I'm glad that the deer like what I have in my bird feeder. I just hope they are careful crossing the street.

Thanks everyone!

Suzieque

o

I think we can officially say that we've covered it all on this website now.

Too funny.

o

Heck - you can't say that I didn't give you any warning in my title! :-) For those who think that this thread is too graphic or unusual, I think you must've missed a fair number of pretty weird threads in the past. (Seriously, sorry if the topic of identifying wild animals by what they leave behind is bothersome!)

o

I went out to the yard yesterday and saw a pile of deer poop and I can tell you, it looked exactly like what you showed us.

o

By the quantity, size, and shape, I think its deer droppings. Deer loves bird feeders! Their preference is sunflower seeds.

You might try posting over on the "Nature Net".

o

What a crappy thread!

o

No sh*t kframe?

o

Oh Susieque, I hope my comment didn't make you think that I was complaining about the topic. I thought it was funny because we all feel like we can discuss anything here. :)

Sorry if my comment sounded that way.

o

OK, I have to say I was baffled at first - and no, I'm not above any conversation. However, it seemed strange to have someone post this. Buuuuuut, after reading it, I have to say that this has been very informative. I'm glad to have seen it because I actually have something very similar in my yard. I'm disappointed because there are NO deer anywhere near my yard. We do have plenty of rabbits though. I haven't seen them in my yard in a while because a stray cat has found a home there. I hope that's what is is though because it has been a mystery I want solved - because my little 4-legged friend LOVES to eat them. I'll have to check into that.

THANKS FOR POSTING!!

gneegirl

o

To gneegirl:

Rabbit pellets are smaller than deer crap and a set of their droppings are much less in volume than for a deer. A deer, when taking a dump, may move a bit thus spreading the load. It may be all in one pile, or have a begining pile followed with some scatter. They are not all careful about this. [How do I know? I'm not a 'crappy student'. I have watched deer deposit a midnight dump in the moonlight in my backyard, then the next day, I looked at the results in the hard light of day.]

o

I'm all pooped out from reading this thread. ;-) Pat

o

That's deer poopies. After a winter of feeding 12-20 deer, I became a poo-ologist! LOL

And, in the spring, you can tell when the bucks have peeed. It stinks to high heaven. Something to do with the rut and hormones.

Wes carries a booklet in his inner coat pocket when out on his hunting scouting trips. It's all about animal scat. He's seen moose, elk, and bear scats...all very close to home.

He called Harry in and headed back to the truck when he found warm, steamy bear scat.
He's a smart man; he knows he better protect my Harry Boy. LOL

o

I would have guessed rabbit or hare, Suzieque. We've had pet deer and usually their poop was a little more clumpy than what you show. Actually, it would be clumps that consisted of mashed together "beads" and then a few loose ones, too, and always very black and shiny, no matter what they'd been eating. It was usually done while walking, too, so it was more spread out. And the deer never showed any interest in our sunflower seed feeders. (They wanted baby carrot, fruit roll-ups and Kit Kats!) lol I've never even seen the wild ones under our feeder, I guess they're holding out for the corn we feed them.

I know more than I need to about deer poop and pee, after having one live in the house with us until she was 4 months old. :)

o

I don't recognize it, but I could tell you all about what cat and dog poohs look like. What a shi**y subject!

o

Yah, I thought deer poop was darker and shiny too. I have rabbits here at home, but their scat is more like what susie posted. The scat at the river has a gloss to it. LOL
Leslie

o

Nor was my post complaining. Maybe it wasn't that obvious.

o

Oh ladies - no offense taken! I was hoping that it didn't offend anyone, that's all.

o

When I read this post and its thread, I had an ah ha...momment. I have seen this kind of scant around my open bird feeders. I guess the deer like bird seed too.

o

I saw some animal feces in my garden near where I planted a fall crop of peas. They were a light brown almost a tan color. The size and shape was same as a a Hazel nut. Anyone have any ideas. I have never seen any like that before. Thanks. Sheila

o

I have to start looking at the original date on posts. I cant believe I read posts from 2009 to get to the latest

o

grammahoney is right as far as the dozens of deer in my Tennessee yard! I think it all depends on what part of the country you live in and what they feed on. "Mine" is shinier and lots darker, even rounder.

o

Being an old farmboy I know the answer but I am not telling....

It is more fun to sit here and see everybody guessing, which of course tells me they "don't know shi#" ....LOL

o

Being an old farmboy I know the answer but I am not telling....

It is more fun to sit here and see everybody guessing, which of course tells me they "don't know shi#" ....LOL

o

Why on earth are you feeding wild animals?! They are extremely destructive of plants and shrubs and cause many vehicle accidents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here