SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

? about heartworm testing for dogs

amicus
11 years ago

I just brought my dog in for her annual exam and vaccines. Every year I also give her the anti heartworm medication. Our vet doesn't give out heartworm medication until they do the bloodwork, to ensure a dog doesn't already have heartworm. What didn't occur to me until I got home, was that my dog probably shouldn't need the heartworm blood test.

Our vet gives me a box containing 6 months of anti-heartworm treatment. However, our mosquito season here is only 4 months long, so our dog gets her first treatment one month BEFORE any mosquitoes hatch, and her last medication one month AFTER they have disappeared. In view of the fact that she is treated for heartworm every year, am I correct in thinking she shouldn't need the blood test to ensure she doesn't already have it, since there are no mosquitoes who could have possibly bitten her in the interim between treatments?

I wouldn't care if the blood test for heartworm wasn't $65.00, but we live in a major city, so vet fees are extremely costly here. If I could knock a little off my almost $400.00 annual checkup/vaccine appointment, it would help. Obviously I won't jeopardize my dog's health, but I just can't see the rationale for that heartworm blood test in this situation. Any opinions?

Comments (23)