Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Microwave - Week 4 March 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 14:00

With the summer heat on it's way, I thought we could post good microwave recipes.

Baked Potato with Thyme Cheese Sauce

Here's a weird-sounding but quick, easy, and delicious idea that I use for any meal, breakfast to supper. I got the idea from a cheese-sauce recipe in a book on landscaping with herbs that I was given about 15 years ago and can no longer find. Mairi Meredith

1 potato
Butter
Salt and pepper
Shredded cheddar or Colby cheese
Dried thyme
Honey

Pierce the potato and microwave until soft, usually 3-6 minutes. Open it up, butter and salt and pepper it, then top with a generous handful of shredded cheese. Crumble a generous pinch of thyme between your fingers and sprinkle over the cheese, then drizzle with the honey. (Trust me!) Microwave for another minute to a minute and a half, until the cheese is melted, and enjoy! This smells so good that I recommend going out for a stroll after the meal, then coming back in to enjoy the fragrance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Microwave - Week 4 March 2013

Two Minute Microwave Fudge.......

1 lb powdered sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

Sift powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt into a 1 quart microwave safe bowl.
2 Stir in milk and vanilla.
3 Mix well.
4 Place butter on top.
5 Microwave on high, 2 minutes.
6 Beat with wooden spoon until smooth.
7 Stir in nuts (OPTIONAL).
8 Spread in 8 X 8 X 2 inch baking pan.
9 Chill about 1 hour or until firm.
Mine firms up right away with no need to chill......

o

Didn't we just do Microwave recipes a few weeks ago?? I don't cook in mine--just heat liquids and melt butter :-)

o

Patti, just did a search because thought I was having a senior moment about the category for recipes this week. The search did not reveal anything for microwaves for the weekly recipes.

How to Cook Steel Cut Oats in the Microwave Oven

1 part steel cut oats
4 parts water
pinch of salt for every 1/2-cup of oats

A large, microwave safe bowl that is at least 4 times larger in volume than the amount of water, e.g. if cooking 1 cup of oats with 4 cups of water, you will need almost a gallon-size bowl

Stir together oats, water and salt in large microwave-safe bowl. Loosely cover the bowl with a microwave-safe plate.
Microwave on high for 10 minutes. After 5 minutes, stop and stirring the oats. Return to microwave and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.

o

Well, now you had me thinking it was a senior moment on my part. Heaven only knows I have plenty of those. It was

Recipes for Microwave - Week 3, February 2013

o

Well, darn. Wonder why that didn't come up in my search. I am going to make a folder in my favorites just for the KT weekly recipes and save a link for each week. That way I can review just to make sure that categories are not repeated. Thanks, Patti.

Regardless, here is a great recipe my sister sent to me.

Lemon Curd

1 1/4 cups white sugar
3 whole eggs + 2 egg yolks
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3 lemons, zested or use vegetable peeler and cut in long curls so it is easy to remove from curd
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Let mixture sit for 10-15 minutes so that sugar dissolves more. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Microwave butter until half melted, let cool, then stir into sugar/egg/lemon mixture. Cook in the microwave at 70% for one-minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the microwave, and pour into small sterile jars. Refrigerate overnight before using. Store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator. Makes 2 cups

o

I want to apologize to everyone for selecting a category that we just recently had. I hope you will bear with me to complete this category this week. I hate to switch in the middle of the week.

o

Apology accepted WC! LOL. I too thought it was familiar, and checked and it showed up for me, the top of the list.

Like Patti, I just use mine for reheating leftovers, or warming the cat food. :)

But my mayonnaise recipe can be made in either the microwave or on the stove. I just checked the previous thread, and I had posted it there, so I won't put it here again.

o

Well, I may have to eat my words--I plan to try your sister's lemon curd recipe. Love the stuff!

o

hey that lemon curd can be used in the lemon bars recipe that was on recently, replacing the can of lemon pie filling. I love lemon curd. I plan on making the 2 ingredient lemon bars. I have to make a bunch of stuff for us to sell at our yearly plant and bake sale for the garden club. I have found several recipes that only use 2-3 ingredients, that's what I am going for!

o

I use my microwave a lot, especially in our long hot summers. And thank you for forgiving me for posting a duplicate subject for the week.

Chicken in Wine Sauce

Power Level: HIGH
Cooking Time: 14 minutes
Yeld: 4 servings

1 lb. boneless chicken breast, sliced thin
1 medium onion, sliced
1/4 c. margarine
salt ad pepper to taste
1 medium green pepper, cut in strips
1/2 c. white wine
4 oz. sliced mushrooms, drained
2 Tbsp. flour
2/3 c. chicken broth

In oblong baking dish, heat onion and margarine 3 minutes on HIGH until onion is tender. Add chicken and heat 3 1/2 minutes, stirring once.

Season with salt and pepper; add green pepper and wine, heat covered 2 1/2 minutes; add mushrooms and flour blended with broth. Heat 3 1/2 minutes until sauce is thickened, stirring twice.

o

Buckeye Bars

1 c unsalted butter
1 1/2 c creamy peanut butter, divided
16 oz. powdered sugar
8 oz. chocolate chunks

Melt together butter and 1 c peanut butter in a microwavable bowl on High for about 1 1/2 minutes. Mix well. Stir in powdered sugar; pat into a lightly greased 13x9” baking pan.

Melt together chocolate and remaining peanut butter in a microwavable bowl on High for about 1 1/2 minutes; stir until well blended. Pour chocolate mixture over peanut butter mixture. Chill in refrigerator until firm; cut into squares.

Store in airtight container.

Yields: 5 dozen

o

MICRO SALMON FOR ONE

1 8-ounce salmon fillet
1 medium-sized ripe tomato, halved crosswise
1 red-skinned new potato, pierced with a fork
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, halved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or parsley or dill)

Place the salmon, tomato halves and potato in a microwavable dish. Drizzle with the olive oil and the juice of half a lemon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and half of the basil.

Cook, covered, in a microwave for 4 minutes (this recipe was cooked on HIGH (full power, 1000 watts) in a carousel microwave oven).

Sprinkle with the remaining basil and serve immediately with the unsqueezed lemon half.

TIP: I often buy a 1- to 2-pound salmon fillet and cut it into 2 to 4 portions, then freeze them. The frozen fillets cook in the same amount of time as fresh salmon.

Makes 1 serving
Source: Simply Delicious by Sheila Lukins from Parade magazine, March 28, 1999

o

Blueberry Pretzel Clusters
Posted By KeepItSweet On April 10, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

Makes 14 chocolate clusters

9 ounces high-quality dark chocolate
3/4 cup salted pretzel pieces
1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried

Gently melt the chocolate in 30 second increments in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring in-between

Once chocolate is completely melted, add blueberries and pretzel pieces and stir until completely coated

Use a tablespoon to drop large clusters of the mix on a baking sheet lined with wax paper

Chill chocolates in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until candy is completely firm

Store chocolates in refrigerator for up to 3 days

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here