SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

...and another 'Collins' steps forward to claim me

caroline94535
10 years ago

I received an email from another Collins and spoke to her on the phone this morning. This time it's a cousin, Mary Lou. She also lives in southern Missouri and promised a whole stream of 'Collins' that would soon be knocking on my virtual door.

She is eight years older than I. Her father, Charley, and my father, Basil, were half-brothers from our grandfather, Lee. He divorced in the 1930s and had custody of his first three children, her father being one of them. He then remarried and had 8 (?) more children, one of them being my father.

She told me she had gone to the county courthouse and read our grandfather's divorce papers where he was awarded custody of the children from his first marriage. I can't wait to get a copy.

Her father knew no other mother than his "step" mother, Anthia, who was my father's mother, and loved her dearly.

It's so wonderful to talk to people who actually knew these family "names" as real people.

My father had a sister, Lucille. My mom remembers meeting her during the brief marriage. Her daughter, Linda, is the next cousin on the list to contact.

Mary Lou shared a couple more very interesting stories on two great Uncles. They certainly lived the wild, wild west lifestyle, even if they were stuck in the middle of the country. Mama warned me I'd meet some colorful characters if I dug very deep into the history. As always, Mama's right! She's enjoying the search right along with me.

Mary Lou shares my love of gardening and wander lust. She was a coast-to-coast truck driver for 20-some years! She has children and grandchildren, so there's even more relatives to learn about.

Old Fixer - She had heard the name of our great grandfather, Ezekiel, but she had not seen the 1919 West Plains Quill obituary. I'm sending the link to her. She was amazed.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz