Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Easter - Week 5 March 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 13:06

Yesterday just got away from me and forgot to post Week 5 of March.

Regardless, I thought since Easter is nearly upon us, this would be a good opportunity to post your recipes that you usually serve for Easter.

Here is one of my all time favorites:

Carrot Salad

2 cups shredded carrots (about 2 large carrots)
6 T to 3/4 cups raisins, up to you
1/8 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoons sugar
1 to 1//2 tablespoons milk

Place carrots and raisins in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, sugar and enough milk to achieve dressing consistency. Pour over carrot mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Easter - Week 5 March 2013

Don't forget we have Easter recipes at the KTGP

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Recipes

o

On my menu for Easter

Mushroom Rice Bake
1 1/2 cups long- or whole-grain rice, uncooked
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
1 small onion, chopped

1 (10-1/2-ounce) can condensed beef broth
(10-3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup (½ stick) butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared casserole dish.

3. Cover and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

o

Great garnish for poultry, ham or pork. Place drained canned peach halves with the pit indentation up in a shallow baking pan or pie pan and fill the hole with a tablespoon of prepared jarred minced meat. Heat through in a moderate oven 15 minutes. Serve with the meat or poultry.

o

I'm making this to take to Georgia for Easter. Couldn't be easier!

MARSHMALLOW WHIP CHEESECAKE (Peacock Coffeehouse)

Graham Cracker Crust:
40 squares of graham crackers (crushed)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine (melted)

Mix above ingredients. Press into top and sides of 9 x 13' greased pan. Reserve 1/2 cup for top.

Filling:
10 1/2 oz.(1 bag) large marshmallows (40 marshmallows)
3/4 cup milk
2 - 8-oz. packages of cream cheese
12-oz. Container of fat-free Cool Whip

Melt marshmallows and milk over low heat. Beat cream cheese; add marshmallow mixture. Let cool. Stir in Cool Whip. Pour into crust and sprinkle reserved crumbs over top. Refrigerate until set.

o

I like to make this a bit ahead of time so that it will get carrot juicy.

Carrot Salad

This colorful traditional salad is one of my mother-in-law's favorites. It's fun to eat because of its crunchy texture, and the raisins give a slightly sweet flavor. Plus, it's easy to prepare. DB, Dalhart, Texas

4 cups shredded carrots (about 4 large)
3/4 to 1-1/2 cups raisins
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk

Place carrots and raisins in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, sugar and enough milk to achieve dressing consistency. Pour over carrot mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.

o

This used to be a must when I had family to cook for on holidays.

Pineapple Casserole
Caution: grate your own cheese, do NOT use preshredded, as it does not melt right with the pineapple.

Plus I always double the recipe. even triple

1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drain, keep juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers

Drain pineapple, save 3 Tbsp of juice.
Combine sugar and flour with 3 Tbl pineapple juice. Add cheese, pineapple. Mix well. Put in greased 8 x 8-inch baking dis).
Mix crushed crackers and melted butter together; sprinkle over pineapple mixture.
Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
or until bubbley

o

Orange Cake with Pineapple Frosting

1 French Vanilla Cake Mix (I use Duncan Heinz)
1/2 cup all purpose flour )
3/4 teaspoon baking powder ) OR 1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt )
1 envelope Dream Whip
1/4 cup powdered sugar or 1/3 ��" 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 envelope orange Kool Aid
1 1/3 cups milk
5 1/3 T butter
4 eggs
1 t vanilla

Sift dry ingredients together. Beat the milk, eggs and butter, then add them to the dry mix and mix (may need to add a tablespoon or two of milk so that batter is of the right consistency). Add 1 t vanilla and mix well.

Bake in a 9X13 pan as directed on box.

Pineapple Frosting

1 8-oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 lg. container Cool Whip
1 5.1-oz box vanilla pudding mix

Mix pineapple and pudding. Let stand for a few minutes. Add desired amount of Cool Whip to the pineapple mixture and spread over cooled cake.

o

Pineapple Gravy for Ham

Pour 20-oz can crushed pineapple with juice into pan with ham juices. Whisk together about 1/3 cup of water and 3 tbls. of cornstarch (the amounts really depend on how much ham juice there is). Add slowly to your ham juices in the pan, whisking the whole time. Only add what you need of the thickener. You may have to adjust so that gravy is not too thick or too thin.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 16:28

o

one bag prepared slaw or finely grated cabbage and carrot mix...

half can drained crushed pineapple (reserve if needed)

1 small bag minature marshmellows

slaw bottled dressing or your fave....

mix slaw. drained pineapple, and dressing to taste and chill....just before serving, add marshmellows....adjust both pineapple and marshmellows (you don't want it too sweet)

o

I inherited this from my former MIL and can't tell you how many times I've made and served this. Even gave as food gifts at Christmas. Gread condiment!

PICKLED PINEAPPLE CHUNKS

1 lg. can pineapple chunks, well drained
2/3 c. cider vinegar
1 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
6 or 8 whole cloves
3 sticks whole cinnamon

Drain pineapple chunks and set aside. Mix the drained syrup with all other ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add pineapple chunks. Remove from heat and cool. Store covered in refrigerator.

o

Peas with Cream and Vinegar

1 10-oz. package frozen peas, cooked
1/2 cup whipping cream
2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Cook frozen peas as directed; let cool to room temperature then put in refrigerator and chill.

Whip cream until very soft peaks form. Gently fold in the red wine vinegar to the whipped cream so that the cream doesn’t collapse. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold the whipped cream mixture into the peas.

Serve immediately or ASAP.

o

Fruit & Nut Easter Eggs

1/2 cups butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (4 oz) maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup coconut
Sweetened condensed milk
Extra confectioners' sugar
1 pound dark chocolate candy melts, dark chocolate candy coating, or semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the butter, vanilla and salt. Mix well with an electric mixer. Beat in the confectioners' sugar gradually.

Stir in the chopped cherries, pecans and coconut.
Add just enough sweetened condensed milk to moisten and hold the mixture together. Knead the mixture until it is well blended. It should be easy to handle and shape, but not sticky.

Use the palms of your hands to roll the mixture, a small amount at a time, into egg shapes. (The amount depends on the size and number of eggs you want to make. Use additional confectioners' sugar to prevent it from sticking to your hands.)

Place the candy egg shapes on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Melt the chocolate in a microwave oven or in a double boiler. Dip each egg in the melted chocolate to coat, then lay on a waxed paper lined tray and allow the chocolate to harden. Place the eggs in paper candy cups.

o

Pickled eggs and beets! I love to use the pickled eggs to make deviled eggs, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here