Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone like kale ?

Posted by pump_toad (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 12:27

Yesterday I bought a bunch of kale and now I am wondering just what to do with it. Hope, some of you folks have a idea or better yet a recipe.
Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone like kale ?

I love kale......I like to cook it in salted water just enough to take some of the raw out of it, drain it well and then saute it in olive oil with a little onion or garlic........

You can just saute it and not pre cook it but I like it better with a little pre-cooking...

Look up kale chips too........so good....

Kale is also so easy to grow...If you have any open dirt, just throw some seed on the ground and wait a few days....yum.

This post was edited by ruthieg__tx on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 12:58

o

I use a bunch of it every day in my green "sludgie "! I also like it in soups and sauteed alone or with other vegetables.

o

You can make a salad with it....massage the kale leaves and then chop up and dress it with your favorite dressing.
Or, my favorite way is to chop up some bacon and fry it to render some fat, add some chopped onion, add chopped kale and cook until tender.
Or, instead of bacon, use chopped up ham.
Or add it to soups.....or cook some and add it to mashed potatoes.

o

I use it in soups, salads, smoothies and stirfrys. And yes, I like it....now.

o

This is a wonderful salad. My husband, who normally hates kale, love this and goes for seconds!

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 small garlic clove, finely grated
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper
2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 pounds total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
1 cup finely grated Pecorino
print a shopping list for this recipe

preparation

Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
Measure 1/2 cup oil into a cup. Spoon 1 tablespoon oil from cup into a small skillet; heat oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel��"lined plate. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Kale-Brussels-Sprout-Salad-368295#ixzz2OUDZUctO

o

I do it very simply - just remove the thick stem part and chop and cook the leaves for a couple of minutes in some bubbling chicken broth with chopped garlic. I use a slotted spoon to drain and take the kale out and serve on the dinner plate and then with the leftover broth and kale I just add some more stuff to it and call it soup the next day.

o

I love kale chips. Just tear it up (remove any thick stems), coat lightly with olive oil, sprinkle on some kosher salt and bake until crispy. Better than potato chips!

o

Thanks for the kale suggestions/recipes. Guess I had better get mine cooked tomorrow.
Lois

o

I love kale, and I am getting some this week in my organic box of veggies. I have not tried kale chips yet, but I do like it chopped small and in a tossed salad. I also love this recipe:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet & Savory Kale

o

I massage raw kale with a little olive oil and salt to tenderize it, and then stir in an avocado and some lemon juice. It's so good! Creamy and light.

o

I buy kale occasionally and eat it raw chopped in a salad. Just cut out that hard center vein part.

o

In the Good Housekeeping this month with Dr. Oz on the cover, inside are some recipes from him, and one is a kale and blueberry (and other stuff) smoothie.

o

I just usually cut it up and throw it in our green salad!

o

I like it in the copy cat recipe for Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana. That is my favorite soup, and it has kale in it.

o

Haven't tried it yet, but seems to be the "new" superfood everyone is talking about these days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here