SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

waiting......on hold........waiting.........

maire_cate
10 years ago

10:00
This morning I placed a call to my local Social Security office and got the usual recording that due to call volume I should expect a wait of 15 minutes. That seemed reasonable.

10:48
After being on hold for 45 minutes I got a new recording "Due to high volume all operators are busy. Please try your call again later. Goodbye."....and then they hung up.

11:00
Called the national Social Security number. Recording said wait time of 35 minutes.

12:05
After waiting over an hour someone picked up my line, but never said anything and for 10 minutes I could hear them talking in the background. Then they hung up and my call was disconnected.

!2:20 - I'm trying again.

Comments (15)

• socks
    10 years ago

How frustrating! Outrageous! So sorry. Don't give up.

• patti43
    10 years ago

I had the very same thing happen. Half hour wait the first time but they disconnected me right after that message. I tried several days in a row. Then I got a message that said it was an hour's wait, but if I left my name and number someone would call back within 24 hours. So that's what I did and made sure I was home to catch the call. Sure enough they called and they even arranged to have my interview by phone instead of going to the office downtown. I was impressed---after I finally got through to them.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I hate when I've been on hold "forever" and get someone pick up and all of a sudden I get a very fast busy signal.
    Crap, they disconnected me. Start all over.

Even more frustrating than sitting on hold, is only getting a busy signal.....which is the case of Revenue Canada. I guess they can't afford a system where people wait in queue. (sarcasm). They think we have the luxury of constantly re-dialing till we hear a ringing phone.

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried a different tactic this time.

We have 2 land lines here at home so at 12:20 I called and left my phone number for them to call back. The recording said you would not lose your place in line.

Then I called on the other line and waited on hold. This time I only waited about 35 minutes and they answered my questions.

That was at 1:00. They still haven't called on my other line yet and that's been almost 2 hours.

So I certainly don't believe the "you won't lose your place in line" bit.

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

(Could this be a fast course in how to cope with the "phone-hold" blues?]

Sometimes when I've been given the recording of how important my call is to them, when I finally get through, I've been known to suggest to the warm body on the other end that, since their agency has been saving money by having me sitting chewing my fingernails on my end of the line for, say, 14 minutes, that I felt it appropriate to pay them back in kind by wasting their staff time for 14 minutes by talking nonsense, then getting down to business. When they say that they're too busy for such nonsense, I reply that if they don't want to talk to me, that I'd like to talk to their supervisor: that's happened a couple of times.

Or I may ask whether they know how some folks can make up to 35% annual rate, or more, on some of their money, guaranteed ... and when they ask what that has to do with anything related to the business at hand, then I suggest that maybe they'd prefer to talk nonsense, as related above.

Don't recall having had anyone hang up on me, but if they can't (or won't) talk to me that way or put me through to their supervisor, sometimes (if I've called there with similar experience before, may have come this time forearmed) I've asked whether, as (so-and-so) is president of their agency, at (such-and-such) address ...

... could they tell me what his/her email address is?

Actually, I should follow through by, as I've suggested here before when people complain here about poor service somewhere, not crabbing to others at the bottom end of the totem pole, but blow off my steam directly to the president.

Confession time: haven't done that ...

For shame, Ed!

ole joyful

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ed - you've made my day!!

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

Maire, I am glad you got out of the hold mode. It's frustrating for sure. It's the reason I go to their office whenever I can pull that off instead.

Mondays are usually the busy days.... but then, today is Tuesday... so I am not sure what could have held them up.

Moni

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

Some of you, having heard this story before, may want to skip on through.

As for the " 35% annual rate or more on some of their money ... guaranteed ..." in the story - it's possible.

Apart from low or 0% temporary teaser rate, most regular credit cards charge 18% or so annual rate on balances owing carried over the first billing date, which figures also include purchases made on the day before the billing date.

Since most of the stuff that most of us buy using the card is not deductible, if we are in the 25% income tax rate, we must earn $24.00, pay$6.00 in tax, and have $18.00 left to pay the fee on a $100.00 loan.

That's without counting that they charge and bill every month, which adds up to more than 18% per year.

That's without counting any extra fees for paying less than the minimum required monthly ... or being a day late with the payment, etc.

If one chooses to use a store-issued card, most of them charge about 28% annual rate which means that a person in 20% tax rate must earn $35.00, then pay $7.00 income tax, to have $28.00 left to pay the fee on a $100.00 loan.

A good reason to make doubly sure that one pays off one's credit card balances owing in full, every month.

Which I claim to do ... but didn't this month: was about 7 days late.

Getting stupider, day by day, it looks like.

How many days do I have left, did you say that you guess there may be?

ole joyful ... who often takes life rather seriously ... but not full-time

• drewsmaga
    10 years ago

Ed -- love your posts!

• grandma_bonnie
    10 years ago

My friend told me this hint. I live in California and if they offer you the option of Spanish, take that option and you'll get thru sooner and if they question why you pressed that option, tell them I said so!

• alisande
    10 years ago

Maire, thank you for being a test case on that "won't lose your place in line" issue. Shame on them!

I'm laughing at Grandma Bonnie's suggestion--which is probably an excellent one--envisioning myself ending up with someone who doesn't speak English.

• chisue
    10 years ago

Hola! Isn't THAT a hoot!

I always take the option to have my call returned. That's proven much faster with Soc. Sec., Medicare, and with our airline.

I once called the home a tile setter to ask when he was coming to lay our bathroom floor. I got his Spanish speaking wife. I turned to a Mexican man working for our contractor, inquiring how to say, "Where is Jose?" Then I asked the man's wife, "Donde es Jose?" Back to square one...since I couldn't understand her reply!

• susanjf_gw
    10 years ago

like going to the office and taking a number...atleast they can't hang up on you!

• quilly
    10 years ago

Typical .

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They finally called me back at 4:30. When I told them about waiting and getting disconnected they said 'it happens' - I figure when we go into the local office for our appointment we'll get an inch of snow and they'll close the office.