SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

MIL's banana pudding recipe

glenda_al
14 years ago

This is the only recipe I have ever used for banana pudding.

And I never put meringue on top of mine. Just top with a few vanilla wafers.

1/2 cup sugar

1 Tbl cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups milk

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg

Mix cornstarch, salt, and sugar in a boiler pan.

Stir in egg.

Add milk, stir until sugar, etc is dissolved.

Cook over low heat, stirring almost constantly (this takes a while) (sometimes I kick the heat up a notch) until mixture is thickened and COATS THE BACK OF METAL TEASPOON. Stir in vanilla. ***It is the right consistency when it coats the back of the spoon. It will be runny, as it should be, slightly thickened.

Pour over layers of vanilla wafers, and bananas, ending with a few wafers on top.

This recipe is for 3-4 ripe bananas

1/2 lb vanilla wafers

Comments (27)

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please share your favorite banana pudding or banana cream pie here, please! OR your banana ANYTHING recipe!

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

Do you mean a double boiler pan like to make candy in?
    Can i use something else?

This sounds yummy, and would love to make it today!

trin

• Related Discussions

I need a 'pudding' recipe for Nanner Pudding

Q

Comments (34)
    Teresa, I love that pudding cake too, Grandma called it hot fudge pudding cake. I didn't open this either, because I detest bananas and so I'll never make or eat "Nanner Pudding". Or Banana Pudding either! However, I do think I know why the meringue goes on top instead of whipped cream. Things didn't used to be "wasted" or thrown away, and refrigeration was not as abundant or reliable as it is now. So, when something took a lot of egg yolks, like lemon pie or custard/pudding desserts, the whites were naturally used for meringue so they were not wasted. It's not a northern OR a southern thing, it's a old farmer thing, from times when everyone was much more frugal than we are today. Annie
    ...See More

gonna make banana pudding and a ????

Q

Comments (9)
    AND Has anyone tried this: 1 (15 ounce) box Hostess Twinkies 1 (5 ounce) package banana instant pudding 1 1/2 cups milk 2 -3 bananas (sliced) 1 (2 5/8 ounce) box dream whip whipped dessert topping mix (has 2 envelopes of topping 1.3 ounce each) Change Measurements: US : Metric Directions: Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 15 mins 1 Split Twinkies lengthwise and lay in 9x13 pan (should use whole box). 2 Prepare instant pudding with 1 1/2 cups milk. 3 Lay sliced bananas over Twinkies in pan and pour pudding over bananas. 4 Prepare 2 envelopes of Dream Whip as per package directions and spread this over the top of pudding. 5 Chill in refrigerator until set (about an hour or longer).
    ...See More

RECIPE: Looking for recipe for a banana cream pie & heath bar

Q

Comments (2)
    The recipe I remember from about that era was made with torn up angelfood cake like below with pudding & strawberries & Heath bars. See if it was similar to the one below. You might be able to play around with it to come close. Here is a link that might be useful: Heath Bar (but substitute angelfood)
    ...See More

My Easter dessert. Bragging. If you love banana pudding!

Q

Comments (10)
    FYI, I measured out 3 cups finely ground vanilla wafers. That will help save on the math :o) Plus I made 1 1/2 custard recipe so I could have some for the top. Had to use toothpicks though to keep it from sliding. It is a keeper recipe for me as my family loves real banana pudding and this cake tops it. Made the cakes on Friday, Saturday the custard and assembled Sunday morning.
    ...See More
  • glenda_al
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I never did mine in a double boiler. Just cooked it directly on the heat element in a pan with a handle. I call it a boiler pan.
    Just be sure to stir, and as I said, it takes a while.

• angelaid
    14 years ago

DH's favorite dessert from childhood. Took me 25 years to get the recipe out of his sister. LOL

Banana Refrigerator Dessert - from Betty - 1949

1/4 lb of butter
    1 ½ cups of powdered sugar

cream by spoon

2 eggs - separated - add yolks to butter/sugar mixture than add stiffly beaten whites

Line pan with graham cracker crumbs (5 double crackers, crushed, per layer)

Add above mixture
    Add a layer of bananas
    Add a layer of whipped cream (½ pint
    Add a layer of crushed walnuts
    Add another layer of graham cracker crumbs

Chill well

IÂm guessing this pan is about 8x8

• sue_va
    14 years ago

Original Banana Pudding (from the Vanilla Wafer box)

Makes 8 servings

3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    Dash of salt
    4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
    2 cups milk
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    25-45 vanilla wafers
    5-6 medium size fully ripe bananas, sliced
    Reserve 1 banana an 10-12 wafers for garnish

Combine ½ cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Stir in 4 egg yolks and milk, blend well. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring consistently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Spread small amount on bottom of 1½ quart casserole; cover with layer of wafers. Top with layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make 3 layers of each, ending with custard.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes or until delicately browned.

Cool slightly or chill. Just before serving, garnish with banana slices, then with wafers upright around edge of dish, as pictured on the package.

*I never did the bananas and wafers around the top. The beautiful meringue is enough.

Sue

• sue_va
    14 years ago

Original Banana Pudding (from the Vanilla Wafer box)

Makes 8 servings

3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    Dash of salt
    4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
    2 cups milk
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    25-45 vanilla wafers
    5-6 medium size fully ripe bananas, sliced
    Reserve 1 banana an 10-12 wafers for garnish

Combine ½ cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Stir in 4 egg yolks and milk, blend well. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring consistently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Spread small amount on bottom of 1½ quart casserole; cover with layer of wafers. Top with layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make 3 layers of each, ending with custard.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes or until delicately browned.

Cool slightly or chill. Just before serving, garnish with banana slices, then with wafers upright around edge of dish, as pictured on the package.

*I never did the bananas and wafers around the top. The beautiful meringue is enough.

Sue

• pris
    14 years ago

angelaid, where do you add the "cream by spoon"?

This sound really delicious.

• threejs
    14 years ago

Maybe I am wrong but I read it as cream by spoon....beat icing sugar and butter...........together until fluffy?

• darrah
    14 years ago

This has been a family-favorite dessert for years. Chocolate Bananna Cream Pie:

Pie Shell: one packet crushed graham crackers
    1/2 cube of margarine melted
    1/4 cup sugar
    Mix above ingred. together and press into a 9" pie plate and bake at 375 deg. for 8 minutes then cool.

Filling:

In microwaveable bowl stir together:
    one five oz. box "Cook & Serve" chocolate pudding
    1 3/4 cups milk
    Microwave on high, stirring every three minutes until it comes to a full boil. Transfer to another bowl and place in ref. until completely cool.
    Stir in 1/2 pint cool whip, four sliced medium green bananas (the greener the better as bananas turn fast), four to six well drained and cut up sliced pineapple rings
    Fill pie shell with mixture and refrigerate. Best if eaten within a few hours before bananas turn.

I've made this without using pie shell and just serve in dishes for a quick dessert.

Note: My Mother's recipe calls for whipping cream but I found the cool whip works just as well and is a lot faster. But I wouldn't suggest using "instant" pudding for this recipe - I did once and it was not good.

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

Thanks so much Glenda, I was hoping just a stovetop pan.
    I can't wait to try! Do you refrige after making? How long does it keep?

Trin

• sue_va
    14 years ago

oops.

Sorry about the double posting. Submit told me that I already had a message on this thread, which I didn't, so I added the // and now they are both there, one with // and one without.

Sue

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

I use the same one as Sue but never use the double boiler. I don't put merangue on top,just vanilla wafers.I'm getting hungry for banana pudding.Think I might just make some this weekend.

• Linda Wayman
    14 years ago

Trin, you usually start eating it right after it's made, ( at least at this house ) ; ) but it can be refrigerated then and any leftovers are refrigerated. As far as how long it will keep, I don't think anyone had any left long enough to actually test that.

Glenda, I posted my recipes on your original post before you started this one, so I'll copy those to here. Mine is very similar to most of these already posted. I have the original one and the one using sweetened condensed milk.

Here's my recipes:
    Banana Pudding
    ¾ c sugar
    3Tbsp. all purpose flour
    dash of salt
    4 eggs
    2c milk
    ½ tsp. vanilla extract
    5 to 6 ripe bananas, sliced
    Vanilla Wafers

Combine ½ c sugar, flour and salt in top of a double boiler. Mix in 1 whole egg and 3 egg yolks; stir in milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Spread small amount on bottom of 1½ qt. casserole. Cover with a layer of vanilla wafers. Top with a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make three layers of each, ending with custard.

Beat remaining 3 egg whites til stiff, but not dry. Gradually add remaining ¼c. sugar and beat til mixture forms stiff peaks. Pile on top of pudding covering entire surface.
    Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm or chilled.
    ** note**
    Sometimes I don't put the meringue on; I just crumble a few vanilla wafers to make crumbs and put across the top.
    **another note**
    I almost always double the recipe because it doesn't last long either around the house or any pot luck I take it to.

Here's the recipe I have that uses sweetened condensed milk:
    1 lg. box French Vanilla instant pudding
    1 can Eagle Brand milk
    1 (9oz) carton Cool Whip
    1 box Nabisco vanilla wafers
    6 large bananas, sliced

Mix pudding according to pkg. directions and let stand for a few minutes to set. Add Eagle Brand milk and Cool Whip. Mix well and pour half of mixture over a layer of vanilla wafers and bananas. Make another layer of vanilla wafers and bananas and pour remaining pudding mixture over this. Crumble wafers on top or top with additional Cool Whip.
    **note**
    On this pudding I put both Cool Whip and crumbled vanilla wafers on top.

**another note**
    I don't necessarily use the brands mentioned in the above recipes. They were just the ones mentioned when I got the recipes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

My Mother's recipe was called Banana Salad. I don't know why it was called a salad. You have to make a butterscotch pudding from scratch, melting the brown sugar in a cast iron skillet, back then. After the pudding is made you layer it with bananas sliced longways, a layer of chopped peanuts,and keep layering it and top with coconut. Really good. I have been looking for her recipe, but have not found it yet.

Sue

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

Angelaid-That sounds a lot like Furr's Cafeteria's Millionaire pie.I think it has pineapple in it though.That sounds like something my bunch would love!

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tri, IF there is any left, you do need to refrigerate.

Here's my tried and true banana bread recipe. Love it!

Sour Cream Banana Bread

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup oil

2 eggs

1 cup mashed bananas (2 medium)

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour bottom only of a 9 X 5 loaf pan. In large bowl, beat together sugar and oil. Add eggs, bananas, sour
    cream and vanilla, blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. Add flour, baking soda and salt, stir just until dry
    ingredients are moistened. Pour into prepared pan.
    Bake at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator. Makes 1 loaf.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is Paula Deen's recipe.
    It is way too sweet for me. My sister used to make it.
    I like homemade custard banana pudding.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients
    2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
    6 to 8 bananas, sliced
    2 cups milk
    1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream
    Directions
    Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.

In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

My mother's banana cream pie recipe is short, sweet, and cannot be beat. Bake a pie shell. Cook 2 small or 1 large package of cooking Jello Vanilla Pudding, not instant, and let cool 5 minutes. And use whole milk. Thinly slice one large or two small ripe bananas into the bottom of the pastry crust in ONE layer and spoon a thin layer of the vanilla pudding over it. Then arrange a second layer of any remaining banana slices and spoon the rest of the pudding over them, filling the crust as high as possible with pudding. Refrigerate till cooled. Whip one pint of whipping cream with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 Tablespoon sugar and spread evenly over pie. Serve.

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

Glenda, your bananna bread recipe is in my hall of fame
    recipe book. It was fantastic! The best I have ever had.
    I wonder how far ahead of Christmas I could make it and freeze it???
    Trin

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:o) Don't think you can freeze banana pudding!

Glad you enjoyed it
    !

AND, btw, try pineapple tidbits instead of bananas sometime.

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

We just made a box of Banana pudding mix (sometimes instant) and layered it with vanilla wafers and sliced banaas then smothered it with whipped cream and let it set up for an hour or so After Cool Whip came out we'd use that

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I misread. I bet you CAN freeze banana bread.

• JoAnn_Fla
    14 years ago

Here is the recipe & a pic of the best banana pudding

Here is a link that might be useful: nilla banana pudding

• patti43
    14 years ago

I got this recipe off the internet years ago and I liked it because it isn't too sweet, but I think I'll give yours a try.

Mama Gantt's Banana Pudding
    1-1/4 c. sugar
    4 Tbsp. flour
    2 c. milk, divided
    2 tsp. butter
    3 eggs, separated
    2 tsp. vanilla
    4-5 bananas, sliced
    2 c. vanilla wafers

Stir together sugar and flour. Add half the milk and stir. Whisk egg yolks and add to flour mixture mixing well. Add remaining milk and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

In an oven-proof bowl, layer half the bananas and half the vanilla wafers. Pour half the pudding over this. Repeat.

Make meringue with remaining egg whites and 1 Tbsp. sugar. Spread over pudding. Brown in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and then refrigerate.

• bengardening
    14 years ago

here is the recipe I use at work. 2 cups milk 1/3 cup sugar 1/4 cup cornstarch 4 egg yolks sprinkle of salt Mix all the ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl. I use a 2 quart pyrex glass bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes and stir. Repeat this 2 or 3 more times. It depends upon your microwave as how long it will take. We only have a small one at work. I dont know the wattage. Peel and slice your bananas into 7up or orange juice to prevent them from turning black to fast. Let set for a couple of minutes and drain real well and add to pudding mixture. Put into a baked pie shell or a graham cracker crust. Top with meringue made with the remaining 4 egg whites and bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes or until desired color. Or you can skip the meringue and use whip cream on top. The salt may be omitted, all it is for is that it takes the really sweet taste out of it and makes it taste much better. THIS SAME RECIPE MAY BE USED FOR COCONUT CREAM PIE.THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT YOU OMIT THE BANANAS AND ADD A 1/3 CUP OR MORE OF TOASTED COCONUT. IF YOU TOAST THE COCONUT IT GIVES IT A STRONGER FLAVOR. I USE THE MICROWAVE TO TOAST IT. PUT IT ON A PLATE AND MICROWAVE IT UNTIL IT IS CRISP AND BROWNED. BE SURE TO CHECK IT EVERY FEW SECONDS AND STIR IT WHEN YOU CHECK IT OR IT WILL BURN IN ONE SPOT AND NOT BROWN IN THE OTHER SPOTS. THIS IS REALLY EASY. If anyone has any questions or would like a similar recipe for butterscotch pudding please let me know. In fact I was thinking with Marilyn Sues recipe which sounds really good I think my butterscotch recipe might work.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great ideas, thanks for sharing, ya'll!
    Over and out!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Bengardening, I would like your recipe for the butterscotch pudding. I might make it the next time I get some bananas.
    Thank You.

Sue

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH