SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

My trip report.

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
10 years ago

Karen and I flew from our local airport (free parking) and spent 4 nights in Sacramento. Our 15-day Princess cruise began sailing from San Francisco to Hawaii and back. We stayed on the ship and cruised to Mexico for another 10 days. We spent 2 nights in San Francisco and rode Amtrak back to Illinois!

In Hawaii, we rented cars in each of the four ports and explored places we had previously missed. If you are ever on Kauai, please be sure you see the Tropical Botanical Garden. Be aware that this wonderful place has many, many steps and steep slopes. Plan on being there for two hours minimum. We also drove to the north shore of Oahu and the east side of Maui where we drove into the hills, away from many tourists.

Our trip to Mexico included the wonderful towns of Loreto and La Paz, on the east side of the Baja peninsula, places that cruise ships rarely venture. We had been to both places and were eager to return. Loreto in particular is a treat, with its small-town atmosphere (only 14,000 people) makes it a trip to Mexico unlike most other tourist spots.

The Amtrak portion was on the California Zephyr, leaving California on Monday morning and arriving in Illinois on Wednesday evening. Riding the train through the mountains was unique. Many isolated spots that we experienced would not have been seen if we had driven. Since we had a reserved sleeping car spot, the food was included, alcoholic drinks were extra. It was a wonderful trip and I have to spend more time deleting photos, I really need to get it down to fewer than 600.

Next cruise is in early November, 31-days round-trip, San Diego to Lima, Peru. Lots of time for you to book that. Cruising with me (and my loving wife) is an experience not to be missed!

Comments (8)