Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
darker and lighter paint question

Posted by phyllis__mn (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 9:44

I posted this over at the home decor forum, but there is too much "decor" for my question. Her house is small, and she has no "accent wall", but four windows and a door on the east side.

"My DD asked which should be the darker, when using two colors, the wall on the east side with lots of windows, or the no-window west wall. (one open doorway on the west wall) Thanks for any help on this."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: darker and lighter paint question

The wass that yousee when you come in the door should be your accent wall. I live in a trailer and I had to make my end wall darker so it would make my living room look longer though

o

Phyllis,
I have heard it referenced as "cool" versus "warm".
Warm colors look best in North and East facing rooms, while cool colors lok best in South and West Facing rooms. (yeah, and don't ask me what you do in a SE facing room!)
I can attest that the cool sage I have in both the front and back of the house looks much better and truer in the SW room than in the NE room.
In your case, I think I'd put the accent wall on the plain wall, but I look forward to hearing the other responses.

o

I have a really large bedroom and I painted the wall that you see when you enter a navy blue.. Really pretty. It had been a sage green color. I also have a large living room. My daughter talked me into painting the one wall dark red. I was "not" sure about this. I ended up loving it. I have had so many compliments on it. The other walls are a taupe color. I really don't think there is any fast rule. I go with what I like and don't really worry about what others opinions are. Wouldn't it be boring if all our homes were alike?

Post pictures when you are finished. I'm sure it will be beautiful..

o

Are the windows themselves or the shades/blind/draperies pretty so that could be a focal point of the room when entering? Yes, even windows can stand out to be a focal point, depending on what's beyond them :) If it's the brick wall of the neighbors house, don't do the accent color there....

"Discover your ideal “special feature” wall. Accent walls work best when there seems to be a logical reason why a particular wall invites special treatment, compared with other walls in the room. A dramatic architectural feature like a fireplace or an antique armoire may be good reasons to make a special wall stand out with color. Determine the “reason” why a wall might be painted with a standout color by asking a friend to enter your room and then quickly tell you which wall attracts her eye first. In most cases, the wall chosen will be the inherently “special” wall in the room."

Is there space or does she have some pretty artwork, a furniture piece, to put in front of the accent color if she chooses the wall with the doorway?

In this house, there is a dark accent wall immediately on the left as you come into the foyer from the front door (decorator designed for the former owner, idea not mine). Plain wall, no window, door, nothing remarkable about it other than it's dark, and makes a great backdrop for a painting. The colors of a silk screened print that had been in our former bedroom was perfect for there.

o

To make the most impact, put it on the wall with no windows so that you can merchandise it with furniture, art and accessories.
What colors was she planning on using and what colors are her couch etc., drapes etc. I love decorating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here