SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Volunteer work

party_music50
10 years ago

We attended a meeting last night of organizations in the area that are seeking volunteers. There were representatives from national organizations, local businesses, and a wide variety of community groups. Oddly, there weren't any animal shelter/protection advocacy groups represented! but I digress.

I work and have many time-consuming hobbies, but am always on the lookout for the right kind of volunteer opportunity. The one thing that turned me off on these organizations was their insistence that volunteers commit time on a regular basis. They wanted to know exactly which days and hours a volunteer would be available EVERY WEEK. Some even had requirements like "you must volunteer at least 24 hours in each month".

I find these volunteer requirements to be far too restrictive. That's too much like a job -- being told what to do and when to do it. In several cases, I'd be interested in "testing the waters" without having to commit to an organization first, and there are periods where I simply wouldn't have the time to volunteer. There was only one organization (the local historical society) that simply invited me to stop in sometime to see what they have and what they need done that I might be interested in helping them with.

I understand that many organizations have to be careful about volunteer selection, and some positions might require specific training or an investment on the organization's part, but I think they're making it so restrictive that they lose good potential volunteers.

Comments (30)