SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

A Little Science in the Kitchen to Help the Grocery Bill, long

OklaMoni
16 years ago

tid bits from the everyday cheapskate email I got today.

A Little Science in the Kitchen to Help the Grocery Bill

By now you may have picked up on the fact that I, your humble columnist, am on a quest to stop being so wasteful.

IÂve started in the kitchen, employing every tip and trick out there for making foodÂespecially fresh produceÂlast long enough to be used up. IÂm tired of my garbage disposal being the best-fed member of the family.

A recent tip from a reader, who said the best way to ripen a banana is to stick it into a paper bag with an apple, reminded me of something called ethylene gas. I know, that is an odd association, but youÂre about to understand why this is so important.

Most fruits and vegetables generate ethylene gas while they ripen. This gas is a very active plant hormone. IÂve learned the hard way that when I am not organized, good old ethylene can ruin the vegetables, turn the bananas black and jack up my food bill in a big hurry.

Leafy vegetablesÂeven very small amountsÂare very sensitive to ethylene. Lettuce, for example, begins to decay when exposed to ethylene gas, even in the refrigerator. Items particularly sensitive to ethylene gas, such as broccoli and bananas, will spoil quickly if stored in the same area as avocados, melons, and apples, which are ethylene producers.

This means we need to keep our vegetables away from the fruits to make our fresh foods last longer. This may explain why your refrigerator has two crisper drawers.

These Create Ethylene Gas: apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, blueberries, cantaloupe, citrus fruits (except grapefruit), cranberries, figs, guavas, grapes, green onions, honeydew, ripe kiwi fruit, mangoes, melons, mushrooms, nectarines, okra, papayas, passion fruit, peaches, pears, persimmons, pineapple, plantains, plums, prunes, quinces, tomatoes and watermelon.

These Become Damaged by Ethylene Gas: asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, chard, cucumbers, cut flowers, eggplant, endive, escarole, florist greens, green beans, kale, kiwi fruit, leafy greens, lettuce, parsley, peas, potatoes, potted plants, romaine lettuce, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, watercress and yams.

Of course you can use ethylene gas to your favor. Try this: Place an unripe avocado in a plastic or paper bag by itself and it will ripen much more quickly because the ethylene gas is trapped inside and becomes concentrated.

Ditto for bananas. Since they produce ethylene, they can be manipulated to ripen themselves more quickly inside a bag than if left out in the open air. And remember to add an apple to the bag when youÂre in a big hurry, since apples are big-time ethylene producers!

Moni

Now, I didn't know the complete list. This is awesome. I think I will print it out and hang it on my fridge. :)

Comments (19)