Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Those darn chin hairs

Posted by enjoyingspring (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 7:58

I swear they grow a inch overnight. I always remember my grandmother with her long curly chin hairs she never pulled them out. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Those darn chin hairs

I hate seeing a woman with chin hairs. I've been plucking mine for years. There's two or three, some black and some white. But they are coarse like wires! I tried Nair, didn't work and irritated my skin. Waxing at the nail salon works well, but my El Cheapo tweezer works best!

o

They are awful aren't they. I wax and pluck but sometimes miss a couple. Just another side effect to aging I guess.

o

I've got a zillion of them, always tweezing!!

o

Check out the link below for Bellabe.

No need to wax, bleach, use chemicals, or shave and you can always be smooth, hair free and well groomed.
No batteries needed.
No need of 'good light'.
Can be used while relaxing in your easy chair watching TV or whatever.
Removes 'fuzz' too.

Yes, it 'stings' a bit, but so does tweezing. You soon get used to the sting and it is well worth it.

Oh...and it is made in The USA. How cool is that?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellabe

o

Sue, have you used this on yourself? From all the reviews I have read, it doesn't remove the coarse hairs we get on our chins - need tweezers for that. This seems to work for peach fuzz, however.

o

Oy, me, too. Is it an old wives' tale that they grow back faster and thicker once you start plucking? For me, I think it's become an obsession, to check with my magnifying mirror and grab the tweezer.

One of the things I did for my mom in her later years was grab a tweezer and make sure she didn't have any of those strays. I knew that if I noticed them, others did, too. And while neither one of us (nor my 2 sisters) really go in for makeup -- my mom used just face powder, a bit of lipstick and nail polish -- I wanted my mom to look good and not be ashamed of those hairs.

o

Sue, have you used this on yourself? From all the reviews I have read, it doesn't remove the coarse hairs we get on our chins - need tweezers for that.
Yes, it works fine on everything for me.

I've misplaced the instructions that came with it, but the skin is to be clean and dry and free of any make-up or moisturizers. Skin should also be 'taut' too, if possible

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellabe reviews at Amazon

This post was edited by chemocurl on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 11:39

o

they have this cute ($12) mag mirror at target that comes with a little black bag...i've added great tweezers and a pair of cuticle scissors....i keep them where i sit to watch tv....lol....

o

Believe it or not, taking a shaver to it is the best solution. First, there is no trauma to the skin that may set it up for infection. It's painless and really easy to do. Hair does NOT grow back thicker or faster. Geisha girls shave their faces every day to keep the skin clean for the make up they use. I use a ladies shaver and lightly skim it over my dry face to take off any peach fuzz.

o

OMG so funny I was just sitting here feeling my chin and found a hair and look up to see this post on here!
I hate the darn things too. Sometimes my husband will come yank them out for me but I have one of these things that works pretty well. Nothing is perfect of course. I just can not see to try to do the tweezers thing.
Panasonic ES2113PC Pivoting Head Facial Trimmer, Pink
I got it at Big Lots was not very expensive, gets most of them, the tuff ones need a few tries.
I also have these itty bitty razors by Noxzema I think that I also got at Big Lots that work well they look just like the regular throw away razors but are doll sized LOL. They are called Bikini line razors but they work well on the face too.
Noxzema Bikini Shaver

o

I bought a knock-off of the Bellabe and it works extremely well. As chemocurl said, your face needs to clean of everything and dry, and taut. For us oldies, that means pushing out below your lower lip with your tongue, and, well, you get the picture. Occasionally, there will be a stubborn hair, but going at it from a different direction or pressing it for a couple of seconds to make it stand straight out from the skin usually does the trick. Heck, I love that thing so much that I ended up buying 5 of them! Gave 2 to other old lady friends and I keep one in the car for those times when I discover a wiry hair that I may have missed. I'm sure the other people on the road wonder just what the heck this old lady is doing at the stop light, rolling a coil of wire across her chin. Who cares?

o

After many years of plucking I find that I have very few that are coming back for a 'repluck'

o

I tried to teach my skin how to be tight ... but after several unsuccessful attempts ...

... concluded that it couldn't be taut.

o j

o

Get a pair of Tweezer man tweezers, they work great!

o

I go for an electrolysis treatment ever so often. Got one scheduled in a couple of weeks. In between I shave. Fast, painless.

Moni

o

I shave mine off with a ladies razor.Been doing it for years.Wish you could see my smooth skin.I'm 83 and have skin like a babies.When you shave your-skin you shave off dead skinwhich makes your face smooth.Go in the bathroom 123 it'off no one has to know everything.I have no wrinkles.Do you notice most men who shave don't have wrinkles?They shave them away each morning.

o

LOL

OJ never fails us! :)

o

I have the same problem. I shave my chin and 3 days later the bristles are back. Oh wait, I'm a guy; That's supposed to happen.

Seriously, I suppose that plucking last longer. To those who shave, try mens products. It does the same job and costs maybe half of the same product packaged for females.

For shaving lotion, try "Barbasol". Its inexpensive, is a great skin conditioner and lubricant for the shaver, and is available in variety of additives.

For shavers, try men's disposable BIC or Gillette with the twin blade head. Any more than 2 blades is merely upmanship and makes for a bulky head plus increased cost. Use the shaver 2 times or until you perceive it is getting dull. Put the safety cover back on for disposal. A wrap of tape around the head will keep the blade cover in place, For you diabetics who may have a sharps container, clip the shaver head off with a pair of diagonal cutters and toss the head into the container. Tape is not needed for disposal in a sharps container.

o

I've been using the ear, nose and facial hair trimmer for years. Two girlfriends were always borrowing it. I finally ordered them each their own. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic Trimmer

o

I'll be 74 soon and so far, no chin hair but my eye brows are like bristles and I shave them...My DIL buys these little straight razor things for me...

o

I shave my chin hairs and mustache hairs (yes, I have some of those, too) every morning. Have done it for years. Easy peasy, no pain and no hurt skin. Just put lotion on and shave with a very light touch.

o

Lol, OJ!!

o

Waxing is the way to go. Yanks the suckers out by the root and they don't come back for awhile, plus you don't get those hard stubbly ends. I swear they finally give up and don't come back after awhile.

I wish I had the guts to tell my mother that she needs to do something about this problem, but her feelings would be hurt. She can dish it out but she can't take it.

o

Makes me remember when Rosie O'Donnell had her first show... and at one of them, she had a chin hair beaded. It was a joke on herself.. she'd have a hair person, makeup, and styist for clothing and they'd all missed this long chin hair..

o

Remember how horrifying it was the first time you found one? Eeeeeek.

o

I shave them with a cheap razor, if I wanted to pluck them
I'd need to have them grow out a little more, I shave them
about every day.....

o

I've always plucked, but, darn it, my eyesight is now preventing me from being able to see the stupid things in order to grab with the tweezers. Don't know what I am going to start doing, but am glad to see so many options listed here.

o

My husband and I both shave in the shower, lol.

o

The reason that I would NEVER NEVER shave facial hair is because my mother started shaving against everybody's advice and when she ended up in a nursing home a couple of years later, and was unable to "shave" EVERY day, she grew a beard, and when me or my sister visited her and "shaved" her face she was left with a five o'clock shadow even though the hair had been removed. Ewwwwww!!! Show me a lady who wants to look like George Clooney......(not).

BTW, I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub ExFoliating Cream which doesn't get rid of the hairs (lucky me because I don't happen to have any), but does leave a smooth healthy looking skin as it removes dead skin cells.

o

I use both the electric razor and a disposable razor on mine. Got knubs right now and I shaved yesterday. I have black, white & gray....what a combination. Have to shave everyday due to those annoying hairs. If I happened to forget to shave...I have to sit with my hand on my chin and pretend I am in deep thought...lol

SamKaren
your resident DJ

o

"Remember how horrifying it was the first time you found one? Eeeeeek"

Nope - I have yet to have one!

At what age can I expect it?

o

About the time you can no longer have babies, you start having chin hairs!

o

68 y.o. and not a single one...YET! But you can bet your sweet bippy that if/when I do have one I'll be plucking the sucker - not shaving it.

o

Justlinda, your mom's facial hair was not increased by shaving. That's a myth.

I shave the peach fuzz and pluck the coarse hairs. I don't get them on my chin, though, I get them on my upper lip. I think every woman needs a lighted magnifying mirror.

o

I agree about the lighted magnifying mirror -- just try to focus on the stray hairs, not the wrinkles and spots!

o

"Not by the hairs on my chinny chin chin" where did that come from ??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here