SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

What are the odds?

party_music50
10 years ago

I'm *rarely* invited to a wedding and I've already been notified that I will be invited to three weddings this summer! My first "save the date" card has arrived and it's for a Sunday in June -- for the wedding of my cousin's son. This is a wedding that I really look forward to attending!!!

I mentioned the wedding/date to my sister who lives in another state. What are the odds that it would be the same day that my nephew is graduating from high school in that other state? What are the odds that a wedding or graduation even occur on a Sunday???!!! Rhetorical question, of course!

I sense that my sister is now hesitant to have my nephew's graduation party on that same day. The rest of my immediate family seems to be saying that they will drive out for his graduation, and they're prepared to drive out a second time if his party is at a different date. My preference is to drive out only on the date of his party -- whenever that may be. It's a 4+ hour stressful (high traffic) drive.

When I graduated from high school, none of my aunts attended. When I graduated from college, only my mother showed up for part of the ceremony (to see me actually receive the degree) -- nobody else bothered to come and it was no more than a 15 minute drive for most of them. Still, I get the impression that my family expects me to drive out for his graduation ceremony, disregarding all else.

What would you do if faced with this dilemma?

Comments (16)