SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Update on my mom

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

Some of you may remember that my mom was given a court summons because she was taking things out of other people's yards. We went to court on Tuesday. The people that brought the charges against her did not want to let drop it but wanted to prosecute. It took the judge about 25 minutes to get them to drop it. He explained that she would have to be evaluated to see if she were competent to stand trial, and that she would not be found competent, and that after $1,000's of state money, it would then be dropped. He finally convinced them to take the $22 that the item was worth.

But, he did tell her that she could no longer drive, and that she could not leave her property unsupervised. She lives next door to me. So we spent Tuesday afternoon and evening with her demanding her car keys and refusing her meds. She became very agitated and walked up and down the street until late in the evening.

My sister and I made her a Dr.'s appt the next morning but she refused to go. The Dr.'s office suggested we call 911 and get her to the emergency room, which we did. Needless to say she was very upset and cussed everyone she came in contact with.

She is now in the hospital and they are trying to get her regulated on meds. Although, at this point, they are saying it is still possible that she will be able to go home, my sister and I are thinking that is not going to happen.

When we visited her yesterday, she was calm and somewhat rational, but still wanted to leave. Today she was very unhappy and very verbal about it. Hopefully tomorrow we will have a little better visit.

She thinks that soon she will be going home, and that she is going to never leave her house again so that no one can accuse her of anything. I believe my sister is going to try to take mom home with her. She, my sister, is retired but works part-time. She will quit work.

None of this will sit well with my mom. She is, and has always been, very strong-willed and independent. Honestly, unless she is sedated, I don't think she will ever be happy again. It's so very sad.

Comments (22)