Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Up Appearances

Posted by kathyg_in_mi (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 22:47

Anyone else love this show from the BBC?
"Mind the pedestrian, dear."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Up Appearances

Love it!

o

Me too. I'm sorry so many of the cast are gone now, I started watching it years ago...

o

me too years ago i is still on on Sat night here

o

"my Royal Dalton periwinkle blue dishes"....or something like that. Love that show.

o

Another fan!

o

I loved this show, but our cable provider doesn't have it, so I miss watching it. I also loved Benny Hill - would LOVE to find re-runs of this show!

o

Yes, I really did like that show, but no longer can receive it. I do have a few DVD's and watch those at times. I like a lot of the British shows.

Sue

o

"The (bou quet) Bucket residence, the lady of the house speaking! "

o

Love it...been watching it for years.

o

Our cable company at home doesn't have it, but here in Florida we get it Saturday evening and Sunday around 5pm. There are lots of the episodes on You Tube.

o

And let's not forget poor Elizabeth, next door neighbor, and her brother, Emmett.

Shirley

o

Have always been a fan. We have it on PBS here on Saturday.

o

That show is always good for a laugh. Do you know anyone like Mrs. Bucket? I love that the sisters are all named after flowers.

o

My fav0rite 0f all the BBC c0medies. (My v0wel "0" decided n0t t0 w0rk t0day.)

o

I enjoy it too and also love watching Are You Being Served.

Have any of you ever seen Father Ted? It is so funny. It is about a quirky Irish Priest.

o

I like all of those shows -- Waiting for God, too.
Haven't gotten into the "series" shows -- Ballykissangel, etc.

My favorite has been As Time Goes By (I just love Judi Dench!) Sweet and very well-written dialogue.

(I used to really like Are You Being Served, and will still keep it on when it comes up while I'm channel-surfing, but I've gotten tired of Mrs. Slocumbe's (um) "kitten" double entendre. Tho never of her changing hair color!)

o

Love it too, have watche it for years.

o

Love it also, like the time she was looking for a cottage in the country.

o

Oh, I love it, too. All the characters are such --- characters!

o

"Royal Doulton china with the hand-painted periwinkles"

I used to *laugh* at people who mixed up reality & fiction...
& then one day I found myself googling "Royal Doulton periwinkles".

(Never found it; you'd think Royal Doulton would create something with "periwinkles" in the name.)

I used to detest Hyacinth, couldn't bear her, she set my teeth on edge;
then one day I got over it & now I laugh at her antics.

My favorite vignette, I think, is the one where Emmett stands up in the Bookay's new flat in the stately mansion...
& his head goes through the paper-thin ceiling, right into the attic.

o

I'm smiling while reading these posts. DH and I have been fans for years and never tire of watching this show and the many other British comedies, too. In fact, almost anything on TV done by the "Brits" is worth watching, IMO.

o

I love this series. One of my dear friends gave me the entire series in a DVD set. I can watch anytime I want now.

She also introduced me to Last of the Summer Wine. Man oh man; I can't wait for each new season to be released on DVD.

o

Loved it too. I know someone who is just like Hyacinth.

o

found this site and think you can watch some episodes?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098837/

o

Found some china trivia!
The china pattern was actually Braganza, manufactured by the Colclough company. The company was taken over by Royal Doulton. Pattern discontinued in he 90s.

o

I think I have a new-to-me show to try out.

o

Me too.

o

Well, lookie here!

thanks, hounds!

Here is a link that might be useful: braganza colclough

o

(When I posted that many were gone I was actually thinking of Are You Being Served?)

o

Hi Kathy! Please send some of that warm weather this way! I love that show too but can't get PBS anymore. That, and 'As Time Goes By' were my two favorite shows.

o

I'm watching as time goes by right now love those Brit comedies

o

This is one of several of the Britcoms I enjoy watching. Others are Fawlty Towers, Last of the Summer Wine, Are you Being Served (and it's spinoff Are You Being Served Again),Vicar of Dibley and I can't remember the name of another one that wasn't on around here very long. It was about a small store owner, I think his name was Arkwright.

Never could stomach Benny Hill.

o

I have been a big fan for years. By the way, is Fautly Towers still on ?

o

sylviatexas: You might wanna Google "Royal Albert Moonlight Rose"

It is made by Royal Doulton. The "blue" version of "Old Country Roses"

o

I've always loved British TV, from Monty Python through Downton Abbey. My personal favorite is Fawlty Towers. Alas, the principal players (John Cleese and Connie Booth) are now divorced so I'll have to savor the occasional re-run.

o

"Braganza"! What a perfect name for Hyacinth's dishes!! :))

o

Loved this show but have not seen it in years.

o

Cynic, the show with Arkwright was "Open All Hours".

o

I love Hyacinth, her family, poor Richard, the long-suffering neighbors and even the skittish postman. The phone calls from her money-grubbing son crack me up.

o

Yup, its a favorite of my older daughters and mine. We love watching it together.

Moni

o

I love this show too. I am loving the channel with all of the old shows. Much better than the ones they are producing these days.

o

Hi Alice sj,

So - it's new to you ... and looks good?

Just think of all of the free bonuses that show up here!

It's a poor day ... that one doesn't learn something, I've heard (don't think Dad generated that one: maybe it's mine!).

ole joyful

o

Thank you colleenoz "Open All Hours". Have to find that one now.

pump_toad, Fawlty Towers isn't running per se but could be on reruns in certain areas. It had two seasons for a total of only 12 (fantastic) episodes. The two seasons were made about 4 years apart. It was taken off the air but then brought back for another "season". From what I've read, Brits don't do TV seasons like in America with a specified number of episodes. Basically they run until the ideas run out. That's why some seasons can be 6 episodes and some can be 24 episodes. It'll vary a lot.

I thought I had a link to Fawlty Towers full episodes but can't find it offhand. There's clips on YouTube though. I'll try to find it and post it if I do.

Ya gotta like Onslow. Any guy that likes bacon has to be OK. Give me a bacon butty anytime with some bacon flavored crisps.

o

Cynic-
I did go to Youtube and watched several scenes of Fawlty Towers.
Caught myself laughing out loud although I had seen these years ago. I really enjoy British humor.
Lois

o

Somebody post those blue roses on the Roses Forum;
they'll swoon over there!

I had forgotten about Last of the Summer Wine;
it was funny, but it was poignant, too.

& I liked Mulberry;
he was sent by his father, Death, to guide an elderly spinster to the other side.

Well, he taught her to ride a bicycle, & he got her to go to parties, & he talked back to her like nobody had done ever in her life...

Of course, Mulberry's father despaired of him-
Mulberry was a total loss as a guide into Death;
he had too much fun with Life!

Fittingly enough, Mulberry learned that Springtime was his mother.

The series just stopped, no ending, no explanation.
I've always suspected that it finall dawned on somebody that a tv show about death eventually has to end, not on a comedic note.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Albert Moonlight Rose

o
mary7060mi

I'm sending you that warm weather starting Thursday............get out your bikini! LOL!
Sorry you can't get PBS, and I think you have dial up, so probably no YouTube watching either.

o

Here's several full episodes of Fawlty Towers and some are 2 part but you can enjoy some of them. It'll probably link you to more too. I like John Cleese and that show was top notch. They tried to do an American version of it called Payne. John Larroquette played the hotel owner named Royal Payne. Didn't last long but the little bit I saw, I enjoyed. I have to do some digging to see if there's any of that on the internet.

I forgot about Mulberry. I was reading about it and it sounded like it was just canceled so that's how it ended. But it was an enjoyable show.

o

Another one I forgot about but still enjoyed was a more recent series called My Hero. But I didn't like it near as much after the replaced the main character.

o

I love all the shows mentioned, too. Just wanted to mention that Netflix has a really great section of British comedy. Most of the shows mentioned are included.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here