Kittywhiskers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never seen so many hummingbirds

Here you go

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbirds

o

I don't get it, mine don't share. I've seen videos of groups, where I have two feeders in front outside this office window, another clear out of sight from it in back by my kitchen - They. Do. Not. Share. They don't even like humans walking past their feeders to the door, they get right in your face and beep, squeak ;)

If the weather is awful, like it has been for a few weeks this winter, I might have two land at once, take a few sips while watching each other warily, posturing, then they are off and squeaking and chasing each other again. Very territorial.

o

If there are enough hummingbirds and a limited amount of feeders they will share. :) There is always a bully... but even bullies know when they are outnumbered.

Cool video!! I have maybe 60 hummingbirds at the most during a season.. and that is enough work filling 4 large feeders (1 holds a gallon of sugar water).

Hummers won't be here until April probably.

o

The ones that visit our house are definitely of the do-not-share variety. We have three big patches of blue-black salvias in front of our house and if one hummingbird is feeding at one patch, and another hummingbird comes down even at another patch, the first bird will stop what it is doing and chase the second bird away.

o

The ones that visit here don't share either.

o

Our hummingbirds are here year round. and they share. It's incentive for me to have the cleanest sink in town so I can watch them! They are such characters and I can stand right underneath them while they are feeding - I know, lucky me...

o

Here they are @ my house last year, out the front door....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MiRx88hEis

Here is a link that might be useful: Out my front door last year, we have 6 feeders

o

Wow! Do you live in a cool/cold area?

o

I forgot to mention, I hang 6 feeders and they are ALL THAT busy.

It's Colorado. The hummingbirds are migratory. We have black chin, broad tailed, Caliope and roufus.

o

We have the Anna's year round here - coastal Washington. Where they went for a warm night sleep that week in Dec it was dropping into the teens, then again this month, beats me....I just don't know. But they'd be back for thawed food right before daylight each morning.

I occasionally will find rufous, love seeing those. There was one that came to the feeders several times a day from end of March through July last year, then was gone again. I hope it's back this Spring.

o

When my citrus trees are in bloom, the hummingbirds will swarm them like they are swarming the feeders in the video.

o

I've seen the hummingbirds like that in Colorado and New Mexico. The places had been set up to attract hummingbirds for several years. In one place the hummingbirds would even land on your fingers. So cool!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here