Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of wood stirring spoon with a hole?

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 22:07

I want to get my kids my favorite stirring "spoon" for cooking, but I don't know the name of it. It is a long handled wooden paddle type spoon with a hole in the center of it and the end of the spoon is a flat edge so you can scrape the bottom of the pot as you stir. This thing is great for stirring sauces and puddings because it does not slop the contents out of the pan.

Does anyone know the name of this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of wood stirring spoon with a hole?

We always used one for incorporating the proofed yeast into the flour for breadmaking, and called the spoon a spurtle. Just googled spurtle, and yes, it's indeed the spoon with a hole in the middle. HTH :)

o

Wow I never knew there was a real name for that spoon;)

o

Gee, I looked up spurtle and came upon a decorative wood stick for stirring from Scotland. I will look again. Thanks.

o

'The wooden spoon with the hole' always worked for a name for me, that's how I think of it, and I used mine tonight :)

But I think technically its a risotto spoon. Check the images and see if yours is there....

Here is a link that might be useful: Google risotto spoon

o

Yep, I Googled spurtle and all the references were for a porridge-stirring stick.
I was surprised when countrycottageklutz said a spoon with a hole in it was a spurtle because I already knew a stirring stick was a spurtle (Scots family members :-) ).

o

I just call mine a Wooden Spoon. Who knew?

o

I am a volunteer home-ec teacher, and one boy called it a "spoontula". It's nice to know it has a real name. Although, "spoontula" sounds a little less vulgar than "spurtle", which is important among a group of middle school boys! ;-D

o

I also believe it is a "risotto spoon". At least, that was what I was told at a specialty kitchenware store and saw it LOLOL! She said it could also be called a polenta spoon.

Dances.

o

Well, I learned something today. It's always been the wooden thingy with the hole in it here! lol

o

Whether it be risotto, polenta, or oatmeal, or even our alternative use for bread dough or spaghetti sauce, it does sound like it's mainly used for ingredients that need to be lufted ;). I know, I know, lufted is definately not the correct word, but it's the term we used for that action of stirring with the spurtle! I'm guessing it's a cross between lifting and sauteing?

Back on topic, I've found that wooden spoons aren't all they're cracked up to be recently, unless shopping at a midcost store, as the cheapo's tend to snap easily, but I have found my olive wood set of 3 (including a spurtle), to be the strongest, smoothest (HATE with a passion the feeling of drying wooden spoons/bowls etc), with decent length of handle yet!

o

Love a spoon with a flat 'blade'; now I'll have to find one of these 'spurtles'!

o

I buy them at cost plus, though the ones I love have a slanted edge to them making them excellent at scraping the bottom of the pot.

o

a spoontula is a spatula with a spoon shape look, it scrapes & spoons up the food.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Definitely not a spurtle--that's not spoon shaped at all. It's just a turned stick. Mine is rounded at one end, and cut flat on the other. I've never used it for stirring poridge, but it's a wonderful tool for quickly pressing dough into gem pans.

I have no idea what the name is, though, for a spoon with a hole in it--other than 'spoon with a hole in it'.

o

Agreeing to disagree Azzalea. In the link I'll post is an almost identical "spoon" to what we called a spurtle. Why we'd call it that if it wasn't, I have no idea. Apologies for disagreeing, but spurtle is what we and others we knew, called it.

Here is a link that might be useful: What I mistakenly call a spurtle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here