SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

This telephone scam is new to me.

alisande
11 years ago

A friend of mine got a call from a guy claiming to be from Microsoft, offering to help speed up her computer. He said they had a report that she was having computer problems. They must target the elderly with this. She's over 80. She has been having a problem with her computer, and so he sounded perfectly legit to her. She fell for it, and attempted to use her credit card number on their website to wire several hundred dollars to him for a repair contract. My friend is as sharp as they come, but not on very firm ground with computers, I'm afraid.

Thank goodness for Western Union, who refused to wire the money and told her it was a scam. She immediately contacted her bank and credit card, so she's okay--no money lost. But she said she spent 1.5 hours on the phone with him while he walked her through all sorts of stupid stuff, I guess to prove he was legit, and an hour after that making sure he wouldn't get any money from her.

Ironically, while she was on the phone with him I called her to see if she wanted me to come over and take a look at her computer. I know she needs to empty the cache, for starters. But she didn't take my call because she was so involved in talking to "Microsoft." I wish I'd just dropped in on her instead. I would have said, "Hang up!"

I don't know how these scammers can sleep at night.

PS: I didn't realize Western Union was still around. I haven't heard them mentioned in ages.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz