Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite little-known movies or TV shows?

Posted by petra (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 21:44

What are some hidden gems you love, but that are not widely known? For starters:

My afternoons with Margueritte - charming French movie with Gerard Depardieu, I wish it had been longer

Copper - Very gritty series set in 1880's NYC, revolves around corrupt Irish police. Probably not for everyone, lots of violence and other things some might object to

Butter - Funny movie about competitive butter sculpting. With Jennifer Garner and Hugh Jackman.

Sleepless Night - French movie about a police drug heist gone wrong. Starts out very suspenseful and never slows down.

The Big Year - about competitive bird watchers. Cute movie with Steve Martin, Jack Black and Owen Wilson

Zombieland - Woody Harrelson, very funny Zombie movie

Whitechapel - BBC show about a contemporary Jack the Ripper imitator. Great characters, especially the Riperologist.

Jonathan Creek - British series about an illusionist turned sleuth.

Imprint - Native American Ghost story

Dance me Outside - set on an Indian reservation in Ontario. Really good and entertaining movie with romance, murder, and lots of other stuff.

Smoke Signals - Another fantastic Native American movie, sort of a coming-of-age story.

Christmas in the Clouds - Mistaken identity, romance and Graham Greene as a vegan chef. I recommended it to several friends and they all loved it. Just a really cute movie.

Dinner Rush - Danny Aiello, Soprano-esque movie about a restaurant. Lots of humor and suspense too.

The Maiden Heist - 2 security guards plot to steal their favorite pieces of art to prevent them from being shipped overseas. Christopher Walken, Morgan Freeman, William H. Macy, Marcia Gay Harden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite little-known movies or TV shows?

love the oldies...

love in the afternoon..gary cooper and audry hepburn
the quiet man...john wayne
charade..cary grant and audry hepburn...

hanna...bit strange but dna inhanced girl raised by bio moms bf...

o

"Crossing Delancy" - A romantic comedy: Manhattan single meets a man through her Jewish grandmother's matchmaker, with Peter Riegert (LOVE him) and Amy Irving

"Lone Star" - murder mystery & romance, with one of my all-time favorite actors, Chris Cooper ( the CIA guy that gets shot at the end of "The Bourne Identity")

"Love, Actually" - comedy/romance/drama set in London during the month before Christmas, with Liam Neeson, Hugh Grant, Laura Linney (she's 49 today), Colin Firth, & Alan Rickman

o

Blind Date with Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger--the funniest movie I've ever seen. Always rent it when I need comic relief. Wish I had my own copy.

o

I've mentioned Friendly Persuasion before. Quaker family facing challenges in civil war times. Gary Cooper, a young Tony Perkins as one son and so help me I can't think of the mother's name (famous and beautiful). Great family movie with many funny (but not silly) scenes.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is another, but they could have kept the language a little cleaner.

o

Friedly Persuasion-the mother was Dorothy McGuire. Yes it's one of my favorites too. I watch it to hear the theme song sung by Pat Boone.

o

Empire of the Sun - a movie about a boy abandoned in Japan during the war. He ends up in a POW camp but is eventually reunited with his parents. Awesome movie if you like period pieces.

Dances.

o

Empire of the Sun is fantastic!

Another favorite of mine is The Boy in Striped Pajamas.

o

Defending Your Life with Meryl Streep and Albert Brooks. They're in purgatory. It's very funny and makes you think too.

o

Ironweed with Jack Nickolson and Meryl Streep
Bagdad Cafe with CCH Pounder
Roughly Speaking with Rosalind Russell and Jack Carson
I also try and catch Cool Runnings whenever it's on. Silly little movie, but a feel good ending, still has me weeping at the end!

o

The Last American Brick Maker-- Morgan Freeman

o

"Lonely are the Brave," with Kirk Douglas and others. I saw this in the theater when it came out in 1962, and never forgot it. The only cowboy movie I ever really liked, and I really liked it.

Glad to see all these great reviews for the DVD.

o

Undercover Blues with Kathleen Turner, Dennis Quaid and Stanley Tucci. Absolutely brainless, over-the-top stupid, but it made me smile.

I.Q. with Meg Ryan, Walter Matthau and Tim Robbins. Sweet little movie.

Innerspace with Meg Ryan, Dennis Quaid and Martin Short. Improbable story, but fun to watch.

Romancing the Stone with Kathleen Turner, Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito. Great chemistry between Turner and Douglas with comic relief from DeVito.

Gee...can you tell that I went to the movies a lot in the 1980's?

o

House of the Flying Daggers bar none.

My brother gave me all these Chinese movies, like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and Hero. The first movie I've mentioned, is the one that sticks with me. The cinematography is amazing. The music is amzing. The wardrobe is amazing... Can you tell I think it's amazing? I'm in love with both Ziyi Zhang and Takeshi Kaneshiro. They're great fun to watch. You should watch it in Chinese (with English subtitles or not). So much better.

o

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! There are a few we haven't watched yet.
Agree about subtitles, I hate dubbed movies and hubby refuses to watch them. You end up being totally distracted by the words/lip movement discrepancy.
Will look into the Chinese movies, hadn't heard of those.

o

I like the French movie Amélie. I has subtitles, but all in the girls in my family love this movie.

o

Two that aren't obscure but not entirely mainstream are "House of Games," with a David Mamet screenplay and starring Joe Montegna and Lindsay Crouse, a psychological piece about con artists, and "High Fidelity," about the afraid-to-commit owner of a small record store (with the amazing John Cusack). The second I like because it reminds me of myself and my friends when I was young, always looking for the next cool band at a dive bar and snobbishly ranking our favorite albums.

o

Frequency with Dennis Quad...he makes contact with his deceased father through a short wave radio..

o

Oh, yes, I love "Frequency," too.

o

Mamie---You're the first person I've heard of who enjoyed Boy in Striped Pajamas---One of my all-time favorites....You would probably like Sarah's Key, also.....

o

Jafralady, I haven't seen Sarah's Key, but keep intending to read the book.

Another good movie that didn't get nearly enough recognition imho is The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

o

We love Australian comedies like Bran Nue Dae with Geoffrey Rush, Love Serenade with Miranda Otto, Danny Deckchair with Otto again and Rhys Ifans, Strictly Ballroom with Paul Mercurio, Priscilla Queen of the Desert (all-star cast!), Muriel's Wedding.

o

Priscilla Queen of the Desert was a hoot, Sushipup!

o

Sushipup, we recently watched "The Castle", an Australian movie about a family who refuse to give up their home for an airport expansion. Also "Big Fish", very odd but entertaining.

o

Petra, The Castle been on my Netflix list for ages, and unavailable on DVD. I just checked and it's on streaming now.... we'll watch it this weekend! Thanks for the reminder.

o

Glad I mentioned it then, hopefully you'll enjoy it. It took us a bit to get into it, but that dimwit family really grows on you after a while. :o)

o

Sushi, I saw Priscilla Queen of the Desert on Broadway and it was just fantastic. MacArthur Park was my favorite scene. Its on tour now and I hope I get to see it again!

o

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison is a sweet old movie. Natalie Wood played Mrs. Muir's young daughter.

o

Mojomom, I love that movie! Gene Tierney was so gorgeous. The Uninvited with Ray Milland is also great, very spooky.

o

I hope no one has mentioned this one but I don't have time to read all the responses to check....

They have stopped making it after 3 seasons and is on HBO On Demand....called "Bored to Death"....

A Camp type takeoff of the old detective shows...Ted Danson, is the most well known butZack Galifianakis I guess but it is a real hoot....

Here is a link that might be useful: Bored to Death

o

Loved "The Castle" although I think the company that released it for the US, felt they needed to dub over bits of it so that Americans could understand it.

Also from "down under", an off-beat love story: Eagle vs Shark

and quite possibly the best comedy about Austrailan lawn bowling: Crackerjack (from 2002)

And from France: "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis" a comedy about a postal worker who gets transferred to "the sticks" in Northern France.

o

Ruthie and Bob, thanks for the suggestions! Have never heard of any of those, they sound great. Off to netflix.

o

Empire Of The Sun took place in China (Shanghai) not Japan and was nominated for 6 Oscars hardly a small film. Christian Bale (Batman) was the young boy in his first major role....he was terrific.

Jean de Florette and the sequel Manon Of The Spring. Two wonderful French films.

o

Two Family House from 2000 is a real gem.

Battleship Potemkin silent from 1924 is really worth watching.

After 30 years, we re-watched Reilly, Ace of Spies---still one of the best tv films ever made.

all were available from our public library on dvd.

o

One of my favourite movies is a silly thing called True Lies with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis. If it's on I'll be watching it. I know it's well known but...

o

Kacee2002, I loved "Jean de Florette," but wasn't as enthusiastic about "Manon of the Spring." The scene where the would-be lover sews Manon's hair ribbon to his chest is indelibly etched in my mind, though!

o

"The Reivers" -- Steve McQueen, Will Geer. Fun to watch, ok for the kids, and a good message about loyalty and honesty at the end. Maybe "On Golden Pond" just so I can see trees in bloom and open water. (sorry, cabin fever!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here