SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marie_ndcal

Boys Vs Girls Wrestling?

marie_ndcal
13 years ago

Would you want your son to wrestle a girl? Personally, I would not. A young man forfeited the match because he said it went against the religious beliefs. Both families admired him No arguments no bad feelings.

No political judgments--just your thoughts.

This was in Iowa.

Comments (40)

• paula_pa
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I noticed girls are on a couple of our local high school wrestling teams. I would have no problem with my son wrestling a girl. Wrestling is a sport - hopefully the boys don't feel like they are inflicting violence on each other when they wrestle.

I would have no problem with my daughter (if I had one) wrestling boys either.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

I'm for boys teams and girls teams no need to mix the two IMHO

• Related Discussions

Am I a Boy or A Girl?

Q

Comments (11)
    Radovan, never be jealous of another. We all have varying levels of growing skills. Trust me all of us have knocked off plenty of plants before we got it "right". I'm sure you have some wonderful plants in your collection, so give yourself the credit that you are due. If you don't have Euphorbia obesa and live in the USA, I have several 18 month old seedling. Obviously, they are too young to know which sex they are. For the cost of S/H I'd be happy to send you one.
    ...See More

Better Boy vs Brandy Boy

Q

Comments (55)
    My first year growing Brandy boys. I am more than willing to overlook the catfacing and cracking on these lovely beefsteaks. Most have been just under 1b. Tonight's dinner was just shy of the 2lb mark and really hit the spot in terms of flavor and texture. I like them sliced with unrefined sea salt. My daughter ate 1/4 slices like a pizza. This Whopper has been harvested shortly after summer solstice, which may help explain the size. Growing in Israel where climate is similar to zone 10. I like these way better than the famous and excellent sungold cherry tomatoes in the same row. Thin skin, refined flavor and beefy interior.
    ...See More

Boys and girls and closed doors.

Q

Comments (31)
    tracystoke, There are millions teenagers DO NOT have sex based on their own choices. There are millions parents DO NOT constantly talk about sex with their kids, DO set rules and still have close bond with their children. My experience is that all kids are good kids; they want to meet parents' expectations. You expect yours to have sex at young age, and you provided an environment for her to do that, so she did not disappoint you. When our kids were teens, we, our friends and colleagues expected them to build their experiences by getting straight As, doing volunteer work, joining leadership programs, attending academic, art, music, sports competitions, and holding part time jobs in summers. So far none of our kids have disappointed us. They are either professional young adults with degrees from top tier colleges, or are attending top tier colleges with tough majors. All of us have great relationships with our kids. When they were teens, we encouraged our own kids to have friends boy, and friends girl, instead of girl friends and boy friends. They have built long lasting friendship with friends of oppsite sex. Many of the friends now have also became professional contacts.
    ...See More

'Boy books' vs 'Girl books'

Q

Comments (44)
    Russ, I think men can write "girl books." Herman Wouk's Marjorie Morningstar is very much a girl book, I think. While I know they are not great literature, a number of Gothic suspense novels have been written by male writers under feminine pseudonyms -- I guess the thinking of the publishers was women prefer to read Gothics by what they think are women writers, which I think in the case of most female readers is bosh. A number of female writers have written quite effectively in the traditionally male bastion of war stories. Olivia Manning's recounting of the Battle of El Alamein in The Levant Trilogy is every bit as good as any male writer's, and Pat Barker's The Regeneration Trilogy is much lauded by both male and female readers. However, whatever the inroads female writers have made, I'm afraid that there's a certain segment of male readers who will pass over their books simply because they are females. An androgynous name, such as Barker's, has probably pulled in some unsuspecting male readers. As for the classics you mentioned, Russ: Tolstoy's and Flaubert's books -- even when their protagonists are women -- are more likely to be read by men than Jane Austen's novels are. Anyanka has already talked above about this disinclination of boys and men. I know present male company is excepted, but it's hard to say it's untrue of male readers in general.
    ...See More
  • jemdandy
    13 years ago

I'm not sure how a male-female match works. It seems that certain holds would be barred.

As for violence in a highschool match, there should not be any if the ref is on his toes. For example, it is my understanding that if a combatant picks up his oponent, he is reaposible for how the oponent is put down. Body slaming to commit injury is not allowed and is a foul. Highschool wrestling is supposed to be contest of strength, skill, and endurance. The object is to pin the oponent for a specified number of seconds to gain a point.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

What Paula said. People need to understand that it's a sport. No need to sexualize it.

• magic_arizona
    13 years ago

As a mom of a 17 year old varsity wrestler I have some strong feelings about this. My son has wrestled a few females over the years but he hates it. He is afraid he will hurt them and tends to hold back. I tell him to put it out of his mind and wrestle as if she was a he. If she is out there on that mat then she knows the drill and all bets are off.

If I had a daughter, there is no way I would let her wrestle 17 year old testosterone overloaded males. These boys are 100 percent muscle and she WILL get hurt. there really is no comparison between the male and female anatomy at this age.

He should not have defaulted on a chance to be state champ because he didn't want to wrestle a girl. As the saying goes "if you want to play with the big dogs then you need to learn to p** in the tall weeds".

• alisande
    13 years ago

I know so little about wrestling that I probably shouldn't even respond. But I shared an office with a sports editor and saw a lot of wrestling photos, and when I read your question my first thought was not of violence, but of intimacy. In any case, I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I wouldn't want to see boys wrestle girls. But my niece played football on her high school team and I'm proud of her.

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

problem is, wrestling isn't OFFERED for females, at least at the hs level...actually, havn't seen a college match either...

the young man had to follow his personal guidelines...

• Sally Brownlee
    13 years ago

I was a huge sports fanatic all my life and encourage all women to participate in sports of all kinds...But in my opinion wrestling is far too intimate for male/female match-ups.
    Although at 16, 17 years of age I was still very much a tomboy and would have loved to wrestle.(I believe my parents would have drawn the line here...)
    I think a well raised young man has been taught respect for women and cannot knowingly hurt her.
    Magic, I feel for your son...it must be hard for him.

• workoutlady
    13 years ago

Ok I'm going to weigh in on this issue. My question to the boy is why would it matter if this is a girl? I wonder if the boy was actually afraid that he'd get beat by the girl. It sounds like this was a state championship. I can just imagine the razzing the kid would have gotten if he had been beat by a girl. She would have beaten other boys to have gotten to the state championship match. He probably saw how this affected his peers that have been beat.

About 10 years ago my nephew was almost in this same position. He was in the tournament leading to state and there was a girl in his weight class. He ended up not having to wrestle her because she wasn't in his bracket and was beat before he met up with her. But I'm not sure that he would have wrestled her. For him, it had nothing to do with touching her in the wrong spots but it had more to due with the humilation of possibly being beat. Most teen boys could not handle being beat by a girl in a sport such as this because of the teasing from others. I believe that boy was possibly feeling this way.

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

This wrestling tournament is in Des Moines. The boy who refused to wrestle the girl is described as a "very devout Christian". He is home schooled and his dad is a pastor. He apparently feels wrestling is too violent to wrestle a girl. I don't agree with his opinion but I respect it.

• suzieque
    13 years ago

>> He apparently feels wrestling is too violent to wrestle a girl.

Or is it, as suggested in other posts, that he apparently feels it is too intimate to wrestle a girl?

I don't have a strong opinion as I really haven't read enough about his instance to have an educated one. On the face of it, though, I would think that the intimacy part would be the stronger barrier. And given what was said about "very devout Christian", I'd suspect it goes that way rather than the violence aspect.

• pump_toad
    13 years ago

As a Iowan I will chime in and say I do not believe boys and girls should wrestle each other. I talked to a school teacher last night who talked to some high school boys about this. He said alot of the boys are not comfortable using the same holds on girls. It is different than football since it is rather intimate to see how the boys have to hold their girl and roll around the floor.
    No way, am I am prude but I do disapprove of placing high school age boys and girls in this situation.

• wine50
    13 years ago

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to allow girls to wrestle boys. My son wrestled in high school and college so I know first hand that it is indeed a sport, a very physical, touchy, heads in crotch, groping .... NO, NOT IN A SEXUAL WAY rolling around on the floor sport. Like it or not this is a much too intimate sport for girls and boys of that age or any age to be competing against each other. I defend a girls' right to wrestle if she chooses, with another girl. Form your womens league and go for it. Seriously

• cheri2008
    13 years ago

I also admire this young man.. I did not realize that this was a co-ed sport. I am a little uncomfortable with that as well. I believe this boy should be credited for standing up for what he believes in... good for him.

• ronf_gw
    13 years ago

I'm mid 50's, not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, and did some wrestling way back in high school. I can't imagine wrestling a girl. Like wine50 said, it's a very physical, touchy, sport. Wrestling a guy you get a hold on them however and wherever you can. With a girl I would have been too concerned that I'd touch her someplace I shouldn't. You expect me to reach through her crotch and grab her thigh to get the leverage I need to flip her on her back? Then lay across her chest to chest to pin her shoulders to the mat? It just doesn't seem right.

Ron

• LuAnn_in_PA
    13 years ago

"You expect me to reach through her crotch and grab her thigh to get the leverage I need to flip her on her back? Then lay across her chest to chest to pin her shoulders to the mat? It just doesn't seem right. "

Exactly!

• wildchild
    13 years ago

For those arguing that wrestling is wrong from an intimacy standpoint how do you conclude it is less intimate for a males head to be in another male's crotch? Males wouldn't tolerate other males touching them in the same manner off the mat. So what's the difference? It's sexist to make the rules different for females.

It's a sport. You have to step outside the terms intimate and "violent" with many sports who no one would play.

I hate the term violence used in a sport. If that were so than a lot young Christian men who are "anti-violence" shouldn't be participating at all.

I'm thinking it's what others have said. Fear. The kid owed it to his team/school to wrestle whoever he drew. Poor sportsmanship to do otherwise.

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Exactly, Wildchild.

These young women aren't asking for special treatment - they want to compete, on a level playing field, with the young men. They want to wrestle, and they deserve the chance to do so.

I think the young man who forfeited his match did a disservice to his school and the sport.

• paula_pa
    13 years ago

Here's a story about another girl wrestler that I thought was cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kelsey Kennell

• cynic
    13 years ago

The reports and interviews I've seen say it was nothing about sex, it was simply his upbringing taught him not to treat a girl this way. He was raised to essentially put them on a pedestal, the "old fashioned" way, sexist though it may be to many. Not surprisingly it gets blown out of proportion as do many situations, especially when someone is standing up for something in which they believe about strongly.

I have some mixed feelings on this. There's differences between boys & girls and some don't want to admit it as we saw in another thread a short while ago.

This hoopla reminds me of a situation some years back where a large city's fire department had to drop their physical standards for firefighters because they couldn't recruit enough female firefighters. They had height requirements, they had lifting requirements, endurance standards and other standards that many of the applicant females couldn't meet so they sued to get them dropped. Their argument was that a woman couldn't lift as much as a man therefore they should be given lower standards. It was called biased and sexist to require that for instance an unconscious body be carried a certain distance. So, now if you need someone to carry you down a ladder, good luck. Maybe there's male & female fires, I don't know. But I digress.

Call me sexist, but I'm personally not a fan of coed wrestling, football, hockey and the like. But if you want to participate that's fine if you are aware of the possibilities and accept them.

I fully respect the student's decision for himself but there's other repercussions for which he loses respect from me. His action not only affected himself and the opponent, but his team also took a loss for his refusal and I don't think they should have to be penalized. Part of being on the team is the responsibility to do the job. Everyone is to pull their weight, sometimes you don't want to go against a particular opponent but you do. He knew this was coming and shouldn't have been on the starting team if he wasn't going to perform. I certainly respect him for standing up for his beliefs, especially in this situation, but he also had the obligation to step aside before requiring the loss and damaging his team.

I am impressed with the way it was handled by both the male and female student though. They essentially seemed to just say this is it and leave it at that - not looking for publicity, though they must have known it was coming. Nevertheless that showed maturity on both on the part of both students for which I applaud them both.

I'm curious when people have to bring sex into sports just because there's male/female involved. "Grabbing", "groping", "touchy", "feely" and all the other terms inflammatory phrases are thought by some to not be good for male/female opponents since it's apparently somehow inherently "sexual" but somehow it's *not* "sexual" when it's homosexual? Why wouldn't it be as inherently "sexual" when it's male/male or female/female? Touching crotches isn't sexual with same sex?

If a male employee (or employer) grabs a male's crotch in an employment situation, it's sexual harassment. Same for females. But there's situations it's known it'll happen such as a physical. I'm not understanding the automatic assumption that everything becomes sexual with a male/female situation.

Maybe it's time to abolish high school and college sports and have them start teaching for a change. Would help the financial situation the schools face too, wouldn't it?

• bengardening
    13 years ago

this is really a good subject. I heard about the kid from Iowa. Ive been talking about it for the last 3 days since I heard about it. If I had a daughter there is no way I would let her wrestle boys. My nephew was a state champion and I saw him wrestle and a lot of other wrestling and there is no way I would want a boy to do some of those holds and moves to my daugher. I think it is stupid. Football is different You have a lot more padding on when you play that. In wrestling you have on this thin little leotard thing. I dont think girls should be allowed to wrestle with boys. I feel sorry for the boy from Iowa.

• kskelseysmith_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

am a freshman girl wrestler.i fell no sexuality or intamacy tword the boys i wrestle. its a boys sport but i work just as hard as them and i understand their concerns but us girl wrestlers realize the posibility of getting hurt . when i step out onto the mat i expect the biy i am up aaginst to look me in the eyes , shake my hand, and wrestle me like any other apponent he has ever wrestled befor. i understand how they feel but they need to look at me as just another person that they should try to beat. yes they have for the mostpart more muscle but we have to outsmart them. its not always equal bith f=genders should suck it up. and if i should so happen to beat them please no tears because i am just simply another apponant and i dont cry when i am beat. when ever i win i tell them good job i know how they feel but they shouldnt feel anyworse if i win than if it were another boy they lost to

• danihoney
    13 years ago

Excellent Kelsey! Good for you!!

I don't have a problem with it at all. I think it's wrong to say you can't or shouldn't because you're a girl.

My son also wrestles. He'd rather not wrestle a girl, (he's 14 after all) but if he does draw a female opponent, once they shake hands it's game on.
    They all go through the same physical training and they all know what they're in for. Like Kelsey said, it's as much mental/skillful as physical. If a boy has a problem wrestling a girl, but the girl doesn't care, then it's the boys problem. He should get over it or find another sport.

I'm always impressed by the girls. If for no other reason than knowing I would never have been brave enough.

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

Sorry, I'm very much against it. I'm not against co-ed sports....bowling, basketball, ping-pong, archery, gymnastics, cross country, track, baseball. There are many other sports females can participate in but contact sports like wrestling, no, no, no. It's not fair to the boy. If he's been brought up to respect women, in the back of his mind he's always going to worry about hurting her. There's just so much for political correctness. Enough already. Kudos to this young man for politely refusing to wrestle her. I don't think it was a fear of being beaten by a girl at all. Sport or no sport, I can't imagine any young man wanting to pick up a girl and slam her down on a mat.

• danihoney
    13 years ago

Wouldn't denying a girl the opportunity to compete at a higher level, in a sport they enjoy, because they are female be equally disrespectful?

You aren't actually suggesting that a boy, who's able to wrestle a girl, has not been brought up to respect girls, are you??

• Toni S
    13 years ago

Girls have breasts. Boys don't. Grasping a breast would be very awkward and at the very least painful for a young woman. I agree it's not fair for a young man to have to deal with the anatomy of a girl. Girls with girls, I suppose. Girls have to deal with the fact that they are made different and adjust to that. Anyone who has watched High school wrestling knows it entails much pulling and pushing. I don't like wrestling myself but my dh and many folks I know had or do wrestle. My dd has a good friend that wrestles now. There is no doubt she can win matches with boys. She is well developed on top and that I feel puts her and the boys at a disadvantage. Even if she wraps herself that would make her possibly slicker or bulkier than her counterparts who only wear a singlet.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Wouldn't denying a girl the opportunity to compete at a higher level, in a sport they enjoy, because they are female be equally disrespectful?

You aren't actually suggesting that a boy, who's able to wrestle a girl, has not been brought up to respect girls, are you??

Excellent Dani.

Girls have breasts. Boys don't.

Boys have external sexual organs. Girls don't.

So what's your point?

• magic_arizona
    13 years ago

"Girls have breasts. Boys don't. Grasping a breast would be very awkward and at the very least painful for a young woman."

That is a choice she makes. Like Kelsey said, they all know what to expect and they are willing to take the chance. There is absolutely nothing sexual about the sport of wrestling. It is a sport of strength and technique. If parts get grabbed or hurt, that's just the way it is. Once they step onto the mat, gender doesn't matter. They are an opponent and the idea is to win, period.

I think the boy that refused to wrestle has the right to refuse but I don't think he deserves any kudos. He let his team down down, his coach, and also the chance to be state champion, Something he obviously worked very hard to achieve.

Those wrestlers work and train very hard to earn a chance to go to state. If this boy wasn't willing to go and compete in good faith no matter who his competitor is, he should not have been there. He should have given up his spot to someone who was more deserving and willing to compete.

• Toni S
    13 years ago

Dirty wrestlers may grab the penis or jewels I am told but I have yet to see anyone do that myself. It isn't done by most wrestlers. Hands go near the crotch that's for sure but most competators will avoid doing that. Now grabbing or crossing the chest area is common and completely acceptable. That's my point.
    My youngest plays intense sports. It gets pretty rough but I wouldn't be supporting her in anything that would require her breasts to be grabbed and pulled anymore than I would having my son's family jewels sqwashed. Sports are exciting competition but I draw the line at my dd's having their breast forcefully pulled sooner or later. It's a sport made for guys. It has nothing to do with discrimination.

• Chi
    13 years ago

It's not a sport made for guys. They added women's wrestling to the Olympics. It's complete discrimination to say someone shouldn't play a sport because of their gender. I can't think of a better definition of discrimination.

What about figure skating? Have you seen some of those holds? Male hands are all over the female bodies and we don't say anything about that. That's a lot of groping, grabbing, gripping, sliding, dropping, pinning, pulling all over the butt and breasts going on there yet it's acceptable as a co-ed sport. What's the difference? Would you let your daughter do pairs skating?

• Toni S
    13 years ago

oh brother.....it's not worth my time.
    To each his own.

Never once have I watched Figure skating and thought omg that reminds me of high school wrestling. lol

• pattico_gw
    13 years ago

I'm with ya Toni...

That happened here at our state tournament...

Reguardless of anyone's opinion of should they or shouldn't they....I applaud the boy for forfetting his match if that's how HE felt about it. That took a lot of courage.

Those kids worked hard to get there.

• pattico_gw
    13 years ago

oops "regardless"

• paula_pa
    13 years ago

This is the female wrestler that the boy didn't want to wrestle. Personally, I don't see any breasts.

And, boy, we have some saying that boys have the physical advantage because they are more muscular and then we have Toni who thinks boobs give girls the advantage so maybe it all evens out and maybe these differences will make the sport more interesting. I know little about wrestling but I thought it was as much about outsmarting your opponent as overpowering them.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1622003}}

• Chi
    13 years ago

Exactly. We aren't talking about some man randomly body slamming a girl on the street. These girls are trained athletes following a passion for a sport. They are fully aware of where they may be touched and obviously they don't have a problem with it. If you're in a contact sport, you touch and you get touched. That's how it is. If you don't want to be touched, or if you don't feel comfortable touching someone else, then you shouldn't be in contact sports. And that's the choice people make.

It's voluntary. No one is making these kids wrestle. And to deny a female the chance to participate because of her gender is just wrong and, frankly, rather insulting to her. If someone had refused to wrestle someone else due to race or religion everyone would be up in arms, but so many people are defending this guy's choice not to wrestle a girl. I don't understand that at all. Discrimination is discrimination. You shouldn't be able to pick your opponents based on your "comfort level" of touching them.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

"But, I had to just hold on to what I decided in fifth grade that I wouldn't wrestle a girl."

Straight out of the boy's mouth on the Early Show interview.

Seems to me he has no business in the sport. He is far too immature to deal with it. His immaturity cost not only his team but her opportunity. She was the 2nd of only 2 girls to make the state championships. Could have been a moment in history for her. His wussiness ruined it.

He needs another sport. Figure skating? Nah. Might have to touch a girl. Maybe table tennis or bowling.

• Chi
    13 years ago

Yes, that's another point. Denying her chance to fully participate in championships, maybe earn a scholarship or even eventually go the Olympics. Winning by forfeit is something she's going to have to live with and, unfortunately, she'll likely face social consequences of not advancing based on her skill or ability but rather her gender.

• kskelseysmith_gmail_com
    13 years ago

yes when us girl wrestlers get forfitted on it not somthing we like we dont like that we win just beause they dont feel they shiould wrrestle us because they think we are weak or fragile. i say bring it if we win we win if we lose we know you beat us fair and square that we earned our place based upon our knowlage, hard , and ability