SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowagirl2006

Whatever happened to....

iowagirl2006
11 years ago

Lori from Utah?

Just thinking about the olden days here at the KT. :)

Tadpole hasn't made an appearance for a while either.

Comments (91)

• abby221
    11 years ago

Are you thinking of Jenni and Stephanie as the mother daughter tag team?

• Tally
    11 years ago

No, it was Tammy and someone - Joyce?

• Related Discussions

Hey....whatever happened to...

Q

Comments (10)
    brenda, i hear from theresa occassionally. though not as much. theresa is a very supportive carin gperson. i miss her over here. they have some auto and sport watches up right now. nto to push adrea aside, by no means! just thought this would be a good time to let you know. yep, the vet cost one is the one i was thinking of, i believe. there was a somewhat judgemental post a long time ago toward adrea's companions. i was afraid that made her move on. i was glad to see her pop back in. probably very busy. i saw posts occassionally in aquariums, but i haven't been there in awhile.
    ...See More

Whatever Happened To This Forum?

Q

Comments (74)
    Hmm, I bet these fora are not so interesting to all of you who have been gardening for a long time. We who have not been so fortunate (did not own our own yards, were too poor, or too busy with other things like school, drowning at our hated jobs, etc.) find some of the folks at Gardenweb to be shockingly informative. I do not care whether they punctuate well or not, or spell correctly. I used this source long before I joined, as a source of some of the best information available on the web for things from finishing fir flooring to what do with impossible red clay soil. I'd prefer to have some of the folks on this site as neighbors, so that I did not have to go online. But I do have to go online, and some people here are so thoughtful and helpful, it is truly astounding--no one gets anything for their contributions here. Except that perhaps others will learn from them. (I know that I want to spare others from my mistakes!) So Gardenweb might seem dead compared to an older incarnation of it, but some of us--the quiet, greener kids in the back rows--listen carefully to you guys. And we actually get some sense of who has experience, who to pay particular attention to. (I just saw something about using the most powerful tiller you can rent, and I made a mental note of it--I will follow that advice, but I did not post the question nor participate.) So, many thanks to you all. I do not come here to argue, only to learn how to take better care of my garden and better improve my house (both of which are fixers acquired rather late in life). There must be many, many of us, often quiet, "listening" to certain aspects of certain conversations in some of these posts. Again, many thanks to you all.
    ...See More

whatever happened to..

Q

Comments (1)
    Here in our corner of the world, we still see them around in shops and nurseries. A little while back, they had some Ae Smoothies along with a lot of regular ones. First time I saw a Smoothie face to face. Are they all so huge or was this batch just fed a lot? Aech Smoothie: Japie
    ...See More

Whatever Happened To Marilyn c

Q

Comments (23)
    I just checked and the albums are set to everyone. I will try to figure out what the problem is. I do think you have to be a member of facebook. I think there is a link that you can click so that anyone can view the pictures. I will try that and maybe it will work.
    ...See More
  • glenda_al
    11 years ago

Remember Lynn from PA! She was a realtor. She and her DH bought and rv and last I saw of her was a picture of her in the rv and they were getting ready to hit the road.

• Sue_va
    11 years ago

Remembering again.

Tadpole, there was something about him that came through loud and clear that told me he was strange, in some way or another, and I never responded to any of his posts.

I believed Fireman's wife, and missed hearing about that situation.

I remember the Chat rooms, but because I'm not a typist, I couldn't keep up with the others, so just dropped out. My loss!

Tally, we didn't "all" send books to Tahni's "niece." I sure didn't. Wonder what she did with all those books? About Wildchild, I believe her ban was from her comments at Hot Topics, not here.

Speaking of dogs, someone here had several Greyhounds that she fostered after they were unable to race any longer. Any body remember who that was?

I remember a man who joined, and posted right away that his wife had died, and that he had 3 sons who needed clothes for the funeral and he needed "help" to get them. He also said that he was a doctor. That post had all the sounds of a scam, and I responded to that effect. I was immediately chastised by some, but the posts were pulled immediately. After a while you pick up the scent from these types.

As they say, it has been a good ride, and very educational, and it ain't over yet! ;>)

Edited to change to Hot Topics.
    Sue

This post was edited by Sue-va on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 22:25

• Alice_sj
    11 years ago

SamKaren, I remember the chat room and, specifically, chatting with you!

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

Met Tadpole twice, at two KT gatherings. One in Atlanta and one here in Birmingham.

Interesting fella!

He was very dedicated to his family. Quite a gardener and great pizza cook!

This post was edited by glenda_al on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 19:34

• pattico_gw
    11 years ago

There are several of the names mentioned that went to another forum...

Leslie didn't seem to come back to the forums after her grandson passed away...but she is on FB

I was thinking about Lori not too long ago...so I looked her up on fb. I didn't friend her but I did get to see some pictures and read some storys she had put out there.

I think fb has taken a lot of our old forum people.

• kacram
    11 years ago

I remember almost all of them. I, too, sent books to Tahni. And I was at chat a lot!

I miss Katclaws!!!!!! And Murphy!!!!!!! BostonPat... so many others.... Bulldinkie, I hope she got her transplant.
    Pat California... we had two Talley's for a while... I remember another Glenda too! lol

and I really need to know how Zeetera is doing! ! She paid my fifteen dollars, all I had said one time was I wasn't sure if I was going to pay. What a nice gift. I hope she is okay!

• kacram
    11 years ago

Where has OldGardner been? Joyce and her daughter, Tammy opened up their own posting site. they are on facebook now.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

I have been here since the early or mid '90s and I don't remember most of the scammers mentioned. I either did not read those posts or my antennae are dull.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Anyone remember the guy who, along with his wife were viciously attacked in their driveway one evening by the wife's ex-boss, another female. A business deal gone wrong or something. I can't remember if the wife was killed or suffered a serious slash to her arm and the ex-boss was killed. It seems someone in the story was killed though. There was some shady stuff going on with the couple.

Marilyn, Dave's photos are still online and can be viewed at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: the late Dave Phillips of Louisiana

• katlan
    11 years ago

I liked Wildchild's posts. Why was Wildchild banned from HOT TOPICS? What the heck do you have to say to get banned from that site? I mentioned before that I have checked out hot topics. It's vicious and mean- spirited. Agree or get bombarded.

I remember Bearcat or BearcatVA. I think her name was Joanna? Had a child that they thought was going to have a speaking or learning challenge, but I think everything turned out o.k.? Then they had a little girl.

I liked Firemanswife stories also. I don't know if they were fake or not. Weren't they her sister's 3 little girls?

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

The guy & his wife who were attacked in the driveway was the son-in-law & daughter of a poster named John. I think that story was covered on some TV show & there was some kind of funny business about it. I also think the female boss who was behind it may have gotten away with it.

• Sue_va
    11 years ago

Hi, Ginger! I remember you very well, and have missed seeing you here.

I also joined the first day Spike set up the wobbly-legged table. As I remember it, there were 2-3 of us that day, but I can't remember the names.

Good to see you back; tell us about life in Mexico.

Sue

• heather_on
    11 years ago

Remember Luv4Pets and her mother .?ElizaAnn? They did some beautiful craftwork. The last I heard, mother had had moved to Newfoundland. I believe Luv4Pets followed a couple of years later.

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

Hi, Sue! Nice to "see" you.

I remember the Tahni mess. One of the pictures of the little girl she posted turned out to be her when she was little, didn't it? Something about the old-fashioned banana curls. I got suckered into sending a bunch of books from Amazon to her. Live & learn but the internet sure is a boon for con artists.

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

Oh, and life in Mexico couldn't be better. After working my fanny off for so many years, I'm finally a member of the ladies who lunch.

There couldn't be any nicer, gentler, kinder people than the Mexicans. There's so much to do here that it's never boring plus I have a satellite TV system that brings me all the channels from the U.S. coast to coast. Best decision I've ever made.

• Tally
    11 years ago

Ginger! My gosh it's good to hear from you. It's been a very long time.

Where abouts in Mexico have you settled?

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

Wasn't John the one that left and formed the Cafe Chat with bunch of Canadian people that were first here OR is John the one that was such a great cook???? There was one John from Texas and something about a relative or daughter that was gunned down in the driveway?

• caroline94535
    11 years ago

Hi Ginger!!! It would be so wonderful it you'd stop at the table and visit once in a while.

Reading all the names from the good ole days...I'm getting teary eyed. I wish they'd all come back. I don't do Facebook; this site is as interactive as I get with the Internet. Well, I am on a couple Bernina and Sewing Yahoo. forums.

And Breen Thumb, you warm my heart!

I'm still here and still wrestling with Harry, now 10, and Sam, now 4. Harry is still perfect; Sam is still...Sam! LOL I read nearly daily, but I don't post so much anymore. I put up a few photos today.

• maddie_in_ky
    11 years ago

I remember Kris in MI; she was sooo funny! :)

What happened to Lulie Wayne? (I think that was her name--her DD was killed when she went out in the road to help her brother's dog who had been hit by a car, and then she was too. )

Is Dances still here?

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

Sounds like "old home week" here today!

I don't remember some, especially the fussin' in the driveway ... and the book scam ... and I don't recall whether I was aware of Fireman's wife not being "all wool and a yard wide", or not But I tend not to hold memories of scams (of certain varieties, anyway - or maybe ones at a distance that don't affect me). Too many interesting things to occupy my time, I guess.

Someone paid my fee, as I didn't have PayPal, I think that it was ... and back in those days, a Buck (of the paper variety) U.S. was much more valuable than one of the Canadian variety, so my reimbursement was somewhat costly. But ... I preferred that to having to shut my mouth! (As reading was free).

I did remember some, several with fondness.

Hope that some return, one day.

As for laying a scent trail ... I wonder what kind of a trail folks are assessing that I'm leaving?

Not - I'm not threatening to "leave"!

Hope you all have a lovely, certainly not "belated" weekend ... what with many of us losing an hour of beauty sleep, tonight. And we oldsters need all of that beauty additive/preservative that we can get, right?!

ole joyfuelled

• susanjf_gw
    11 years ago

i don't know what her name was here, but i knew her as jackie bug....she had 3 ds...she passed away today from a brief bout with cancer...prayers for her boys...

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

Hi, Tally. Long time, no see. I'm in the Lake Chapala area with lots of other gringos. I'm now up to 4 dogs, the last one another rescue named Winky because he only has 1 eye. Caroline, good to see your name here.

John was the cook, Glenda. I think he was originally from the Philippines but lived in Texas. Deni was the Canadian who started the other forum & was always slamming the U.S.

• Cherryfizz
    11 years ago

Nice to see you Ginger - I used to love your recipe postings/

Heather - ElizaAnne (Audrey) and Luv4Pets (Angela) are doing well. They post on FB and Audrey always makes me laugh and Angela is a new Grandmother to a handsome little boy.. Remember when you, Mush, Dances, Audrey and Angela along with Nicole and Tami and one other KTer met in Niagara Falls We had a nice time.

Dances still posts here now and then

I remember Lulie and have often thought about her.

I used to like Gabbygirl (Ann) posts. Of course Lori - so many wonderful ladies, have graced this Kitchen Table over the years then and now.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

Ok, Deni, and I remember Cotton from Mississippi, now.

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

l will always have Bonny/Granny in my thoughts. She lived in northern California and had a mentally handicapped grandson.
    Bonny died and I think Stephanie and Jennie kept in contact with Bonny's daughter.
    And the woman who lived in Arkansas was a hoot.....I think she was in her 80's and her son had a llama farm. I wish I could remember her name. I think she was a friend of Joy's.
    And Pat Lavendar....I hear from her once in a while on FB. I will call her if I ever get to Bakersfield again. And FrancEs.....she was a hoot.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Hi Ginger, sure miss your posts. Happy to hear you are enjoying Mexico and thanks for adding more info to my driveway attack story. Wish I could remember more of it.

Another sad story was Tina Louise Blunt who was kidnapped on her way to work one morning and found dead a number of weeks later. I think it was determined at some point that a neighbor boy killer her. Tina was the DIL, I think, of KTer Pat Lavender of Bakersfield. Pat was a nice gal and I wish she was still around the KT.

I remember Deni Simpson. He left early on in a real huff to start his own forum and had a web site called Deni's Place. And Paintdrop Hugs MaryRose.

Jodi-

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

As well as Cafe Chat after Deni's Place, I think.

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

If I remember correctly, John's son-in-law's murderer (or who arranged the attack) was a bail bonds person & John's daughter worked for her. I wish I could remember the TV show about it or some names. Did it happen in Arizona or Texas?

Bonnie Granny was a really special person. I've thought of her often.

• lindaohnowga
    11 years ago

Oh the memories this post brings back, since I've been here since the KT first opened. I sure do miss a lot of the posters you've all mentioned, and miss those who are now deceased. I keep wondering how Bonnie Granny's husband Harley and their grandchild Griff are doing.

This post was edited by lindaohnowga on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 23:07

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

And shall we not forget our beloved Buzzard!

KT gathering was wonderful at her home in Texas.

She lost her dearest husband and kinda disappeared :o(

• marilyn_c
    11 years ago

Ginger, it is so good to see you post. I have thought of you a million times. I am still reading recipes you posted on the recipe exchange forum.

I remember Mary Rose...Paint Drop Hugs. She had a pet rooster, didn't she? It had crippled feet or something like that.

And Jodi....thank you so much for posting that site with Dave's pictures. What a talent he was!!

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

Ginger, it is so great to see you here! You have certainly been missed. I'm glad you are happy in Mexico. If you ever get to the DC area, I'd love for you to visit.

This post is wonderful--like a reunion.

I loved our nights in the Chat Room! We had regular sessions, twice a week, and a lot of people visited. It was an opportunity to "bond" with each other. DH would tell callers I couldn't come to the phone--I was at a "hen party"!!

Sam/Karen - applecat is still here, as Linda_in_IA.

I think Janice still posts at the KTT; her mother checked in somewhere recently.

I also miss Wendy and her mother, Babaloo; Kathy-VA and Marsha-OK (both of whom visited me at my home); and Nancy-WI.

So many wonderful times, great friends, and great stories.

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

The invitation to visit goes both ways, Wanda (and anyone else.) I didn't know you still posted here.

Didn't Spike have a great idea with this forum that so many are still enjoying? For many of us it was the introduction to the internet.

• Tally
    11 years ago

I'm really enjoying this thread. So many memories. I hope there are more KT'ers out there who can come by and say hello!

• Sue_va
    11 years ago

Mexico sounds so inviting. Glad you are happy there and enjoying life.

Yes, Spike's idea of starting this site was great! Do you by any chance remember when that was? I'm trying to remember when I got my first PC. I got on the Internet, started out looking for gardening help. I ended up at Garden Party, posted there, and It was at Garden Party that someone mentioned that Spike had started the Kitchen Table. I went right then to see what it was; been here ever since, through thick and thin! If I can find that date, I'll know about when I got my PC.

Sue

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

Hi Ginger! Great to see you! Your life in Mexico sounds divine & is so well deserved. I was thinking that the KT was started in 1998 & do remember it was Ginger's birthday. If not '98, then it was '97. I got my first Mac in Feb.1999 & found this place shortly thereafter.

I particularly remember Babaloo.... she was one terrific & prolific quilter. Would love to know what she's up to these days. I also remember Murphy in Indiana with her funny sense of humor & her: SSSS on her posts.

• lisa_fla
    11 years ago

I miss Tadpole's pizza oven!

Tahni-well I sent books too-hopefully they eventually went to someone who enjoyed them. She did help me post GIFs and suggested I call my internet provider to complain when my service kept getting interrupted several times a week. They ended up giving me a $40 credit!

Ginger and her Lizard Pots-enough said-but we did try to find a solution.

Really miss Dottie's stories-she was hilarious!

Someone had a missing niece -was her name Jill?

Anyone have the link to Dances blog? I used to have it on another computer.

Michael had nice dinner pics always looking picture perfect.

What about the lady who worked with stained glass?

• marilyn_c
    11 years ago

Lisa, was the lady who worked with stained glass, Kathy Lev? She posts on Garden Junk as TooMuchGlass.

Here is Dances' blog. Looks like she hasn't posted on it in awhile.

http://dancesingarden.blogspot.com/

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Hello Ginger! It's so nice to see you again! You have been missed, both here and the Cooking Forum.

some I remember and miss, like Murphy, Boston Pat, ect. some I don't remember at all. And I so miss those who have passed. But they are waiting for us to join them again.

Kat_WA, Bulldinkie sometimes posts on the cooking forum. As far as I can tell, she has not had her transplant yet.

Lisa, Dances is on facebook, I'll go see if I can get her to come post the link for her blog.

Tami

• Toni S
    11 years ago

Guess I haven't lost all my memory!
    I miss Murphy and her humor. We had good laughs at Kt online parties!
    Miss Tadpoles pictures and explanations of them. Made pizza pit look fun!

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

Ginger from Marie in ND----still have some of your great receipes Glad you are still around and don't be afraid to drop in occasionally. I know have 4 great grandkids oldest 6 -2families. Yep, still in ND and DH would love to be a much warmer place.

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

I think this forum started in 1997 but could have been 1998 but it was on my birthday.
    Hi, Marie!
    The lizard poop didn't get removed so I tossed the lids. Good to see you too, Bee!

• Sue_va
    11 years ago

Ginger, thanks for the "join" date. I'll go with that, at least for now. I know I was at GP and a few others, trying to find a home base, for sometime before I read about the KT.

One thing I remember about that is that Spike had learned that there was trouble of some kind brewing at similar forums at HGTV, and that was why he started KT.

After reading about the lizard poop, I remembered that,too.

Sue

• samkaren
    11 years ago

I remember our chats were on Wednesday nights and when Wanda would log on I would always say.....WANDA!!!!!!!!!

If I'm correct we all went to "talkcity"
    SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• pattico_gw
    11 years ago

Nicki in Niles and her sister were married to brothers.
    Nicki's husband was a cop and was abusive to her.

She couldn't call the police because they all supported the husband.

Then I remember she took the girls and ran...not telling anyone where she went for quite awhile.

Things were hard for her and she started drinking

that's when she started not coming around here as much until it was not at all.

I imagine the girls are grown now. I sure hope they have a good life

• liz
    11 years ago

boy this sure has been a trip down memory lane!! I've been here since day one...9/11/98...

The kt is my go to spot for questions...answers...hugs...it's a great place!!

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    11 years ago

Well reading this thread has made me both giggle and cry. A lot of memories, a lot of missing friends. And surprises, hello to Ginger, has been a long time since I've seen you post anywhere. You sound happy with your life. Good for you, and welcome back.
    Thanks to all who have brought us up to date on some that are missing. I can do some fill ins..................................
    Damon is now in Memphis (I think) TN, divorced from his wife who was a KTer too. He is a graphic artist.
    Tammi & Joyce opened a forum..Our Humble Home (I think)
    Liz GA is busy with a new granddaughter who is cute as a button. I see her on FB.
    I miss so very many, glad to see some came back to post on this thread. Haven't heard anything from BenCA, or Mushy from Fresno, Ginnia, Thornbird. I just heard from Kathy-Lees son, he gave her my contact info, she said she would reach out to me. I sooooo hope so, but nuttin yet. I keep up with several at the Treehouse forum, JayJay, Spunky, SteveFL, Bump, KBB, Marty. Others I see on FB. But it's not like the KT was back in the day.

• littlebit_gw
    11 years ago

What a walk down memory lane..so many who have come and gone..and so many still here after all of these years..anyone remember Duckie? I didnt see her mentioned..

Also Tadpole was here not too long ago, dont remember the name he posted under, but it was the pole for sure..