Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oscars

Posted by lindakathy (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 20:47

Just turned them off. Opening is painful.
I'll read online who won.
Enjoyed the red carpet though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oscars

I thought the boobs song was funny, but the actresses didn't look to happy. Renee Zellweger looked like she just got out of bed on the red carpet. Some gorgeous dresses, though.

Seth Macfarland -- so far, so bad.

o

I think it's been quite good so far!

The actresses featured in the boobs song were acting....they were great!

o

I've never seen such a pathetic show a waste of time and who is this guy Seth something I'm so glad I didn't waste time or money going to see any of them terrible show IMHO (have to keep it on to see who wins

o

I am enjoying it so far! Very funny and some amazing singing.

o

Sound of Music was funny. Enjoyed the Les Miz performance. Ted was stupid.

Hugh Jackman is hot.

o

Bor-ing!!!

o

The boobs song was sexist to me~~~when they start showing full frontal nudity of men then they can sing about boobs!!!

DH and I are on a three day get away, we were having Happy Hour in the bar when Stupid Seth sang the song~~~only the men were LOLing! I said very loudly that is was sexist and not funny! And I added my frontal nudity statement! So there stupid men in a bar by yourselves!!!

o

It was supposed to be sexist and offensive. :) I thought it was funny, especially the actresses who played along.

o

Seth Macfarland is so incredibly talented, great voice but I think he missed the mark tonight. I wish presenters would just come out and present and pass on the banter. It's usually so stupid and falls flat. They could cut down on the length of the broadcast if they would just forgo that part. I thought it was one of the more boring shows.

o

I loved it. Never heard of Seth MacFarland until tonight (and didn't he look a lot like one of the Brady Bunch boys?), but to me he was funny and utterly charming. He reminded me of one of the good Irish boys from my neighborhood. They were impossible not to like.

I thought William Shatner was funny too. And Charlize Theron dancing! Heck, Charlize Theron just standing!

o

For another critique, I found the opening monologue, Shatner routine and 'booby' song (?) crude, juvenile and tasteless.
My impression of the actresses reactions was disgust.
I DVR'd the rest, so I can watch the highlights, which I understand
there were a few.
But, each to their own.
Maybe we'll get Tina and Amy next year.

o

I loved it. The actresses were not mad at the boob song. That was pre recorded. I think Seth is very funny and most all my favorites won. This was the year I saw the most movies up for award. The only movies I didn't see were the one with the little girl and the old woman. My favorite part of the show was the Les Mis song. Loved it. Argo was my third favorite to win behind Silver Lining and Les Miz.

o

Enjoyed it. It's entertainment. The boob song was a joke and the shots of the actresses was either edited or planned. Love the gowns. That's why I watch it. I just thought Ben Affleck looked miserable the whole night. I haven't seen any of the movies but I was rooting for "Lincoln".

o

I like Seth but I think he got off to a slow, awkward start. It was too long and seemed somewhat disjointed. But it also occurred to me that his jokes weren't much worse than the inane banter between the presenters. Honestly aren't they embarrassed making those silly comments before announcing who gets the award? What amazes me even more is the fact that these lines are scripted and rehearsed and they still come off ridiculous.

o

Those who don't know MacFarland 's work wouldn't 'get ' his humor. My husband was one of those but I loved it. C 'mon people.....the actresses ' reactions to the boob number were all part of the act.

I didn't watch a great deal of the programs, but enjoyed what I did.

The piped in music did not work for me. It was too loud, drowning out the singers.

o

My favorite part was Barbara Streisand, good to see her and thought she sounded very good. Was hoping for more of that.
Didn't think much of the Chicago deal, thought there was some lip syncing going on there.

o

I had a terrible weekend, my dog is sick, one sister in law is in the hospital and the other is in a state of panic. I spent the whole weekend trying to calm people down, so I was so emotionally exhausted I slept through the whole thing. I woke up just before midnight to see "Argo" win. Good, because it's the only one I had actually seen! I like when that happens!

o

Well, I DVRd it and watched when I got home....which meant the very ending was cut off! I still don't know who won the big ones, best actor, best actress and best movie.

The red carpet thing was awful...that tiny woman and her high pitched Minnie Mouse voice just grated on my nerves. Duray watched part of the show with me and didn't like her either.

Didn't care for the host either. Love the DVR! Favorite part was Adele signing Skyfall.

o

Best acceptance speech...Daniel Day Lewis. He was GREAT!!!!

o

I agree that the host was not so hot (not physically -- no feelings on that! but the jokes, the dragging jokes with Shatner. didn't like the boob song, either).

Best speech -- I agree with Georgysmom.
The Meryl Streep joke was hilarious.

Worst presenters' yackety-yack: Melissa McCarthy (of the film "Bridesmaids") and Paul Rudd. They announced best animated short. But they went on too long and IMHO were not funny. It looked like they were buzzed.

I'm glad for Ben Affleck. I really, really liked that film. It's an edge-of-the-seat film for those who are either too young to know about the historical incident, or too old and can't remember it. I liked Lincoln, too, but I thought I was gonna doze off once or twice during that one.

(Minnie: Do I understand correctly that you didn't see any of the nominated films and don't care to? If so, you're really missing out on some great stuff. There are several nominated films I haven't seen yet -- I can wait for them to come on Netflix or Redbox. But I wouldn't brush the movies off so quickly based on the Oscars.)

o

Wow, not a family friendly show! Although the boob song was funny in words, I thought it was in poor taste, along with the loser song at the end. What is it about that type of people or show, that it all has to be about sex? They think they are so talented and then they ruin the trade with an avalanche of sex jokes and songs. Gets old fast. They need some writers that cater to the people who DON'T think about sex all the time.-- I had to take lots of breaks from the show. Really the only reason I even turn it on is to get to understand where some of the actors are coming from. If I like their style, I will keep watching them. Other wise I think the Oscars are a way overdone back patting. So many other professions I'd rather see walking across that stage.

o

What did you all think of Mrs. Obama appearing to announce Best Movie??? I thought it was ridiculous for our President's wife to do,
but I may be wrong.....My first impression was--" you gotta be kidding me!!!!!"

o

edited ..see below

This post was edited by toni_ne on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 15:55

o

It didn't surprise me really. She's a pea in the celebrity pod. Rubbing elbows and money. Thought , That's what the Obamas do. I can see hollywooders who went into politics doing this but this is all new to me. I kinda wish all the Presidents and wives would stay out of this kind of back scratching and do what they were hired to do, for all of the country. When they retire they can comment and smooz all they want!

o

She was there as a promoter of the arts in the schools. I thought she was fabulous.

o

I loved her cameo. I feel much warmer towards her than any other First Lady. I believe most of the media exposure she has just furthers her campaigns for health and education, among others, and that is a good thing.

o

Thought she looked great but thought it was an inappropriate call on the Academy's part. But then again, the whole show was inappropriate. JMO

This post was edited by georgysmom on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 16:50

o

Delete~~

This post was edited by YogaLady1948 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 18:47

o

Loved the First Lady's appearance.

o

•Posted by pammyfay (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 11:03

I'm glad for Ben Affleck. I really, really liked that film. It's an edge-of-the-seat film for those who are either too young to know about the historical incident, or too old and can't remember it.

Good entertainment but certainly not historically accurate.
The Canadian embassy and it's staff had the number 1 role
in that incident, not the CIA.

o

I think it was a riot how the Iranian TV photoshopped a different dress on Michele Obama. They made the neckline high and had cap sleeves on her dress. Funny. They dispute the facts in the movie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here