Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird news item in today's paper

Posted by kathsgrdn (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 20:47

I just got home from work and grabbed the mail out of my mailbox. Front page news in our little town is that Bungee jumpers have bought an old train trestle bridge over the Kentucky River and are going to have a reality tv show. Just weird. There's an S shaped bridge nearby that is made for vehicles and has had many suicides over the years. Including the owner of a sushi bar the kids and I like to go to now in Lexington.

No way would anyone get me to jump off that other bridge. I don't even like driving over the other one. The first time I went over it I got the creeps. Since I've lived here I know of a couple jumpers and one motorcyclist who hit the side of the bridge and went off it to his death.

The train trestle bridge (Young's High Bridge) is 265 feet from the river.

Here is a link that might be useful: news story

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird news item in today's paper

no thanks! not a big fan of bridges! used to take the "blue" bridge to coronado (in san diego), and would only drive in the center lane, lol...but the worst one is the "mac". connecting upper and lower michigan..omg you can see thru the bottom!!! they offer, for a fee, a driver if you can't do it yourself...

there is a bridge in balboa park(also san diego) that people have jumped off..thanks be they can't hit the freeway below... i was taking the kids to the zoo and just missed a poor soul..the cop cars were there...

o

Generally speaking, I do not have an aversion to bridges. I've driven across the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, the bay bridge between San Francisco and Oakland, crossed the Mackinac, the border crossing at Sault Ste Marie, the New River Bridge, the Lynnville Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Henderson Bridge across the Ohio river between Indiana and Kentucky. There have been numerous bridges in the mountains as well.

The two worst crossings was Sault Ste. Marie and Henderson. The Sault Ste. Marie is stable. The bad part was this summer I was comming from Canada back to the States on a hot August day and was stuck on this bridge for an hour and a half waiting to clear customs at the bridge termnus. I had plenty of time to think about the bridge loading and wondered if it was designed for such.

The Henderson is a suspension bridge with a very long center span. This bridge sways and bucks in the wind like an old barrel slat hammock. That was no fun.

The new Lynnville Viaduct is so constructed that you are not aware you are on it. That's good for a calm drive, but the high railing cuts off a great view. It is not the same it once was.

o

Most bridges don't bother me and are actually fun to drive over. Maybe I don't like this one because it's so high up? I hate heights...so that may be it.

o

I get the jitters any time I cross a bridge - I can't swim, so my instinct for survival kicks in.

o

Hi K J,

Maybe get one of those suicide vests that the bombers use ...

... if the bridge gives way ... you could pull the rip cord!

(But ... be sure that there's a safety catch, like on most guns, to avoid its getting pulled inadvertently, o.k.? We don't want a reason to miss you here, until it's absolutely necessary!)!

o j

o

I rode my bike across the Golden Gate Bridge on my bike. It was an incredibly awesome feeling.

Moni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here