SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Should one's landlord enable stupidity??

joyfulguy
13 years ago

As many of you know, furnace fuel dealers have a guidance system that combines temperatures, wind, etc. to tell them when to refill oil tanks, which works for most.

But in earlier years I was inclined to keep my house at about 60, so they were coming to refill me when the tank was still about a third full ...

... so we agreed that I'd call them when I needed fuel.

I had about a half a tank as summer began and they came unrequested to give me a refill around early November, I think: I didn't turn on the furnace till late that month.

I turned it on while keeping a friend's short-haired female canine for a few days, kept the house some warmer than usual for her (though she had a coat) ...

... and found little enthusiasm for pushing the thermostat down after her departure ...

... so have kept the house in the low to mid 60s through the winter.

I've noted that the tank was getting down, and went down a few days ago to check it - but it was too dark to see.

On another occasion I used a flashlight, but still couldn't see well: I'd need to check it in daylight (or use a trouble cord - that was hooked up and ready to go, but at a different location).

Anyway, it was windy and cold last night, and it got dratted cold in the house - temp was about 56!

Tried the furnace: when I turned it to the summer setting to push cool air up into the house, it worked.

Out of fuel.

Put on a coat for a while, went to bed, with extra covers.

Called the fuel people this morning - yes, it has been quite a while since they delivered!

Asked what I'd need to do to restart it: he didn't know ... but they'd give me the name of a furnace repair contractor.

The truck appeared about noon - it'd been rather mild, this morning.

When the landlord bought Uncle's farm, the inspectors wouldn't pass the fuel tank, so we'd replaced it ...

... and he'd installed the old one in the smoke pipe going up from the wood stove in his shop before it got to the ceiling, so it distributes a good deal of warmth.

His pal/neighbour plugged the vent pipe from the new tank with a rag, stuck the open end of the air line from the air compressor down into the filler tube and plugged that with another rag.

Soon had fuel running up through the line to between the joists and down through the filter into the pump.

Landlord said that he'd do that again after the oil came ...

... he was away for a while ...

... got stuck with his truck while getting the air compressor ...

... and we had a bit of a struggle getting the fuel to come down the line - or, rather, up the line before going down.

But after some finagling ... running back and forth ... got the furnace started.

I told him that the fuel bill was going to be within a few bucks of $1,000.00 ...

... and was he going to bill me for the difference, to make it the even Thousand?

He said that he figured to not do that.

So - could he be possibly, even conceivably, guilty of enabling stupidity, do you figger?

ole joyfuelled (most of the time)

Comments (6)