Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do things stick in my skillet?

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 18:44

I've had a Farberware stainless steel skillet for years, ever since I went out on my own and set up housekeeping. Does anyone else have a problem with certain foods sticking? for example fried potatoes? fried eggs? breaded meats (like chops or shoulder),ect? I use plenty of oil, no extreme heat. Anyone have some tips to share? I'm trying to recall if I had these problems in the very beginning but can't. Maybe the skillet needs seasoning somehow but with stainless I didn't think so.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do things stick in my skillet?

No, you don't season stainless steel. I have trouble with fried potatoes sticking too.

o

I've had Farberware for over 35 years. It doesn't stick if you use it correctly.

Get it good and hot, THEN and only then, add your oil (if you want a butter flavor in what you're frying, put in a little oil first, then some butter, to raise the smoking temp of the butter). Then add your food. I cook potatoes in mine all the time and they never stick. Always remember Jeff Smith's words, "Hot pan, Cold oil, food won't stick".

o

And don't try to turn the items too soon. They will release on their own when it is time to turn them.

o

I remember Jeff Smith saying those words....works for me.

o

Don't try one of those Orgreenic pans, they really stick!
No non stick secrets from me, I just use Teflon and a spray.

o

Never heard that saying from Jeff Smith. Thanks! I knew it had to be something like that. Yep, I get anxious and turn before items have a chance to brown real good too. My bad.

o

I've got the "green" skillet, and love it!!

o

When I bought my Health Craft cookware, I was told to get it hot, put the food in, and let it alone until it released on it's on. Then it was ready to be turned over. On the other hand, I still can not make scrambled eggs in stainless steel skillets.

o

I've been using non-stick pans instead of my good SS waterless cookware for so long, I've forgotten how to fry in SS. Thanks for the refresher.

o

I have one of those green skillets, GUARANTEED not to stick. Well, guess what? hahaha

o

i have the green frying pan and i love it also

o

i have the green frying pan and i love it also

o

PREHEAT, PREHEAT, PREHEAT....

Turn on the heat to medium and preheat your SS, tri-ply or any multiple ply cookware. Do not add oil, food or anything until the pot/pan has been preheated.

Read and watch the video on the link below for detail instructionl.

I even do sunny-side up eggs with no problem with sticking on my tri-ply pans.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to properly heat a pan

o

I got rid of all my non stick cookware. Don't miss it at all. I do just like Azzalea says. :)

Moni

o

DH bought me one of those "Ogreenic" skillets. It works great! Cleans up great,too!

o

I agree with Azzalea. If you don't cook at high enough temperature, the breading will come off, for example. Also, you end up "boiling" your food in oil...juices leach out...if you don't use a high enough temperature. I don't use any "non stick" cookware. Cast iron..but I also use stainless electric fry skillets a lot now since my kitchen isn't finished.

o

Someone help me with these green pans. I tried to cook a egg this morning and it stuck so bad. The pan is not old and hasn't been used much........ I hate it!
This is my second one, I returned the first one thinking I got a lemon.

o

Ntt__hou, that is a GREAT video! Thank you SO much. I've been cooking for 5+ decades & never knew that simple test for when to add the oil/food to the pan!

I hope EVERYONE watches the video!!

Thanks Schoolhouse for asking the question!

o

Thanks for the video link. I've bookmarked it to try.

Shirley

o

Hi again schoolmarm,

Maybe some rascal told your pan that it was one of the high-end kind ...

... and it got stuck-up!

o j

o

I'm glad you found the video useful. I was told that preheating SS is among the first lessons in culinary school.

Once I've done it a few times, by placing my hand hovering over the pan, I know when the pan is ready to be coated with oil. Just a light coat of oil should be sufficient enough.

My other alternative pans are also cast ironed. Yes, they're a bit heavy but they're among the best and healthiest cookware to use. Not to mention, they're inexpensive too.

o

Yes, that video was very informant. Who knew? Thanks. Like ntt hou, I use my old heavy cast iron skillets most of the time; but my stainless steel one has a nice lid so I use it sometimes.

o

Agree with all the others....great video to watch. Thanks :)

o

Since we're discussing about SS pots & pans....

If you own SS pots & pans, I hope you have a bottle of Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning them.

It cleans your SS pots & pans so well that they look new. Just dab a little and scrub it with a Dobie cleaning pad or similar. It costs much less than many SS cleaners. I use the powder bottle that resembles the Comet except it's yellow. It's less the $3 at Walmart in the cleaning product isle.

I once brought my knives to cut up boxes and boxed of bananas for a community activity. By the time I got home, the knives had stained. I simply used BKF to clean off the stain. They looked as if never had happened. Basically, BKF works on all SS products, even on SS kitchen sinks.

Warning: If you have granite countertops, be careful not to get on its surface. BKF is acidic and can ruin granite or any stone surface. If it gets on it, wipe off immediately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bar Keepers Friend

o

Learned the water trick years ago. Decades actually. It was used to tell when it's ready to make pancakes and I guess some of those old shows did teach a lot of stuff and little tricks.

I also remember the Frugal Gourmet. Used to watch it before his, shall we say, cookie crumbled. Heard the phrase only a couple times on there. The first time he was talking about walking down the street and supposedly someone hung their head out of the bus and yelled HOT WOK, COLD OIL, FOOD WON'T STICK!

With potatoes, I question whether the starch in them is a culprit on some of the sticking. That is like glue at times. FWIW, many people WANT some foods to stick to get "fond" that they're so fond of...

o

'Twas good of you all to wok us through the explanation of what to do.

o j

o

Very interesting. I have had trouble with breading coming off meat. Will try for sure!

o

Tried this last night and it worked like a charm! Best fried taters I've ever made! Can't believe it took me 50 years to learn/hear "Hot pan, Cold oil, food won't stick"

o

ntt_hou, I'm another poster who is thankful for that video. I tried it last weekend with pork steaks and it worked like a charm. So many recipes tell us to put oil in the pan, THEN heat. I was blind, but now I see. Thanks again.

Once the water was dancing, I made DH come into the kitchen to be a witness, LOL. Since he does most of the cooking, I wanted him to see it too. He was sufficiently impressed as well.

o

I've never seen BarKeeper's friend sold in Canada, until our local Home Hardware advertised it on sale a year ago. The powder.

Having picked up some skillets from Freecycle that were in dire need of cleaning, I put the BK to work. It's fantastic on stainless!

Until it was cleaned I had no idea there was a band of copper!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I keep 3 or 4 bottles of Bar Keepers Friend as a back-up. I've been accused by my family for overspending on a cookware that I haven't been using. It was a set of Calphalon tri-ply that I paid 1/3 of its regular price using discount & coupon. So, I didn't pay nearly as much as they thought. Without, saying much, I showed them a bottle of BKF and showed how it worked. LOL, next thing I knew, it was gone. That's why I keep back-ups :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here