Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's everyone reading now?

Posted by teotiki (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 18:41

I just finished Richard North Patterson's "Balance of Power" a couple of days ago.... a very interesting book and today I started David Baldacci's " Last Man Standing"

How about you? Read anything you couldn't put down?

Teo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's everyone reading now?

I am just about done with Gone Girl.

o

I think I'll read "Gone Girl" next. How do you like it, Raven?

I got the following book from the library:

"John Wayne: The Genuine Article"

It's just great, lots and lots of pictures. If you have a JW fan in the family, they would love this book. Would be a good Father's Day gift. I think it's $35 on Amazon, but it's a large book (not thick, but scrapbook size).

o

Just finished The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat. I thought it was good. Have just started The Husband's Secret. The start is a little disjointed so the jury is still out. I thought Gone Girl was very weird, but I must admit, I couldn't put it down.

o

Just finished Stephen King's "11/22/63", all 849 pages of it. It was good but too long.

Now I am reading The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout. She wrote Olive Kitteridge. It's our book club choice.

I couldn't stand Gone Girl. I did not finish it.

o

The Husband's Secret and what Alice Forgot, both by Liane Moriarty
Fannie Flagg's new one..something like The last All Girls Filling Station Reunion.

o

I'm reading The Secret Place. It is the fiction version of the 1955 murder of Emmett Till, a 13 year old black boy visiting relatives in Money, Mississippi. The names have been changed, but basically it is the same as the true story.

o

Just finished the newest novel by J.A. Jance called, Moving Target. I read the newest J.D. Robb mystery earlier in the week. In between, I've been reading the enhanced versions of the books about making the first three Star Wars movies. They are easy to dip in and out of while reading other books.

o

I just finished my first Lisa Unger book, Fragile. I liked it enough to read it all the way through, but I wasn't excited by it. I guess so far I'd say the same about my current book, Anita Shreve's The Pilot's Wife. I don't love it (yet), but it has captured my interest.

o

Enjoying it, can't wait to get back to it and finish. My husband read it a while ago and I have been wanting to get to it, he enjoyed it too.
It's written in a diary format which is not the best, but it works.

edit for update! I finished reading it and I must say I thought it was going to go a different way and was not as happy with the ending as I was with the rest of the book. However I am happy I read it the book was very hard to put down at times.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 14:48

o

Right now I'm hooked on Deborah Crombie's series about Kincaid and Gemma. I had read one, but thought I would like to start at the beginning of the series, so I got the first four on line from AbeBooks, for about $14.00, no shipping. I am also reading Island, by Alistair MacLeod, but I'm spacing myself on that one, as I am just enjoying immensely. It is a group of short stories, taking place at Cape Breton, off the coast of Nova Scotia. It is so beautifully written that I weep when I read it!

o

I just finished THE LIGHT BETWEEN TWO OCEANS. Good My favorite book is SARAH'S KEY.

o

I recently read THIS JUST IN by Bob Shieffer, the journalist.
Non-fiction published in 2003. Very interesting and it kept my interest longer than a lot of fiction I have been reading.
I bought it a long time ago at our library sales for a quarter and it got stuck away.

o

Alisande, I just started listening to the audio version of Fragile - I get a lot of reading done in the car. I've also started reading Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series. Last week I finally tried to get into Gone Girl but just couldn't. Spent about an hour on it and it was a struggle to get interested so I gave up. Life is too short and there are too many other books I want to read!

o

grams 33----Sarahs Key is also my favorite book...not sure how many people have read it. We had it as a selection for our book club. And then I rented the movie from the library (black and white and mostly foreign language) and I loved it too!!!!!

o

We are continuing our Kate Atkinson kick with "Started Early, Took My Dog". Got hooked by "When Will There Be Good News", but didn't care AS much for "Life After Life".

I'm supposed to be starting "A Cold and Lonely Place" because we liked "Learning To Swim" -- both by Sara Henry. DH didn't care for "Cold and Lonely" as much as the "Swim" book, so I'm dragging my heels.

o

Chisue, I'm sorry to hear that! I've been enjoying anticipating reading A Cold and Lonely Place.

Kimberly, when I was working I got a lot of my reading done with audio books too. And maybe I will again, as my son gave me a device that plays MP3 files through my car radio. The audio book files can be downloaded from the library.

o

I am almost done with The Covenant by Beverly Lewis. It is an Amish series. I like it.

o

I too enjoyed Schieffer's "This Just In". Some of his "in the right place at the right time" experiences, as with the Kennedy assassination, were quite interesting.

I recently read "Twelve Years a Slave" and found it incredibly moving. It should be required reading for all school kids, maybe at the middle school level. (the Frederick Douglass book was widely used at one time, this one delivers the necessary punch concerning racism without the unneeded baggage that Douglass brings). The story is known because of the movie, the tale (among other things) graphically describes the treatment and lives of slaves in 1840s Louisiana. It was gut wrenching and incredibly sad, but the story needs to be told again and again.

The books is so old that it's in the public domain. Free or very cheap ebook and audio book versions are available.

o

Just started Cell by Robin Cook.

o

Recently read and enjoyed:
What Alice Forgot - Lianne Moriarty
The Husband's Secret - Lianne Moriarty
Loving Frank - Nancy Horan
Next up:
I Feel Bad about My Neck - Nora Ephron
When We Were the Kennedys - Monica Wood
The House on an Irish Hillside - Felicity Hayes McCoy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here