Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi ho Silver... Now it's IKEA

Posted by cynic (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 18:32

You would think after the episodes with the grocery stores and fast food places getting horsemeat they'd look around and see who's doing it and check out the others. Just heard on BBC that IKEA meatballs are another one testing horsey.

Who will be next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi ho Silver... Now it's IKEA

I saw that on the news, Cynic. Guess they eat horse meat in other countries. I got the impression they were already serving them in the US. Did I hear wrong?

o

In some countries of Europe they eat horse without their hair standing on end ... and in others ... they don't.

Around here, during World War II and for a few years after, horsemeat was available ... but it had to be in a separate store!

(Mixed-up meat ... for mixed-up people)?

ole joyful

o

Ed, while I was growing up in Germany it was sold in a different store there too.

Moni

o

Do we have Ikea food here? I thought it was just furniture.

o

I fully realize that some countries eat horse as well as dogs and cats. Some countries are abhorred by eating beef. That's not the point. The issue to me is the fraud involved. The buyers are paying for beef (or perhaps pork or even turkey?) to serve in their stores and restaurants and instead of what they ordered and paid for are being given horse instead. I'd venture to guess horsemeat is much cheaper and being substituted to pad bottom line of the unscrupulous.

Maybe they'll start selling an "Angus" horse line so they can say they're selling 100% "Angus" which has become so fashionable in the US.

I've never been to an IKEA so IDK if they sell food items although some places have talked like they have a restaurant or something in them in the US. Someone else might know more definitively.

o

I'v'e never bought IKEA -- kind of 'college or first job' furniture like Crate and Barrel -- glossy 'sell', but not much there, there. Anyhoo, the stores have restaurants, which I think is a great merchandising since it probably keeps people in the store longer. I don't know if they sell carry-out.

o

The meatballs in their cafe are one of the most popular sellers. Interesting. I personally don't see any difference in meat though they should be honest.

o

The school system in Albuquerque served horsemeat when I was a kid. The story broke and parents complained.

It's an honesty issue here....

o

"100% "Angus" which has become so fashionable in the US."

I know for a fact that anything with a mostly black hide is sold as Angus. It has Angus in it - but 100% - nope!

If you knew the hoops we have to jump through to have our meat certified to be able to be sold in the EU. It is crazy amount of paper work, etc.

Then we hear that they are selling horsemeat as beef - oops! They are really up on things.

o

and my coz here in the usa raises horses for export...

the meat was found in the european stores only...and we've purchased the meatballs which were very good...(along with the cinnamon rolls)

o

It's only in the European IKEAs. I don't eat meat but love their salmon dinners and their desserts. Love IKEA. Need to make a trip to the Baltimore one.

o

The Ikea's I have been to have a food store near the exit. so you can stock up on frozen items and fresh items on the way out.

No horse meat found here in the US Ikea's...... yet.

o

That's what I heard too...no horsemeat in the US, just some of the overseas stores. Remember, the news outlets are trying to shock you.

o

Hope they don't start eating jackasses ...

... or some of us might be endangered.

o j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here