SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Power bill at ole joyful's place

joyfulguy
11 years ago

We recently went to Smart meters for power, and there are three prices related to time-of-day usage, cheapest nights, weekends, 6.3 cents/kwh; mid-range, morning and evening either spring and fall and during day in winter and summer, 9.9 cents kwh, and peak rate, morning and evening in two seasons and during the day or morning and evening in the other two, I can't remember which, at 11.8 cents/kwh.

I find that the major part of our usage (including landlord's shop) is during nights and weekends. Prices for only power ran from a low of $23.22 in June to a high of $49.90 in the next month, only slightly over a quarter of the total bill.

Delivery charges, somewhat related to the price of the electricity used, but it's not a direct relationship, ranged from $44.01 to a high of $58.04 the next month, same as the earlier ones.

There are regulatory charges, as well, from a low of $2.13 (same as above) and a high of $4.19, as above.

The system has developed a debt and, despite their not having built a major generating station in 35 years, so we figure that they should have money in the till for replacement, we're paying that off, from $1.92 to $4.00 monthly, as above.

There's a harmonized federal and provincial sales tax added, from $9.27 to $15.10, again, same months as above.

Total usage for the year that we paid was $1,031.05, but the province has been providing a temportary reduction of 10% of the bill, so that's only 90% of what the full cost was.

I haven't used an air conditioner, but used a dehumidifier in summer, no humidifier in winter, use an oil-fired furnace and pump water from our wells, including some for garden and landlord's shop where he repairs farm machinery. Landlord has wood-fired furnace in the shop, he cuts his own wood.

Landlord pays 10 - under 15% of the bill.

ole joyful

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living