Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pastel headings terrible

Posted by minnie_tx (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 17:48

Sure hope theychange out thepastel fonts they started using I cant even read the headings anymore.. Well, I'll give it a few more days then adios after10-12 years

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pastel headings terrible

You are so right, they are very hard to read. Need to change..

o

I agree.......and why should they be so faint?

o

I totally agree, way too pale, hard to read!!

o

Yes, I am 2 days away from home, heading south for a month or more, and my MAC fixer is home....and I can't find a way to 'fix' this. Maybe it IS time to move on.

o

I agree....too light....hard on my old eyes.

o

I agree with everyone, I can hardly read the headings. I won't be spending too much time here if I can't read them without eye strain.

o

I think whoever designed this has young eyes and does not realize that as we age it gets harder and harder to see the contrast in colors. I have to squint to be able to read the light blue. I wish they would change it to navy blue, that would be such a big help.

o

On my computer, I'm able to hold down the CTRL key and click the scroll wheel forward. Tada...the pitiful pastel font turns bold and I'm a happy camper!! Hope this works for you.

Otherwise, I agree the pastel print looks like something running out of ink.

o

I have no trouble with the pastel headings. I don't care for all the grass at the top, too much and takes too long for dial up to load in.

Sue

o

I'm using Firefox and my headers are all black. No pastels at all.

o

BTW: here are my FireFox settings for Color.

o

Ahhh, I just realized that you all are talking about the color of the post titles. Mine are blue but are readable. I took my settings above and changed the Unvisited Links to black and unchecked Allow pages to choose their own colors, ... and all titles (headers) are now black.

I do notice those settings mess up other web pages though so I'm changing it back.

Jodi-

This post was edited by jodi_in_so_calif on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 13:04

o

I am not having any troubles with the colors or reading. Thank to one person, I did make the letters larger.

o

They aren't pastel on my computer. It's a marine blue. I like the looks of the Kitchen Table site. I like the font, very easy to read, very clean. I like it!

o

It all looks okay to me - most forums change their wallpaper etc. often, so you get used to different looks. This one didn't so it obviously is a big shock to a lot of you.

o

where do you find the FireFox settings for Color?

o

Tools>Options>Content>Color

o

I posted this in a few other places but if you use firefox there are a few add ons that can allow you to make changes in color and font etc on pages, some allow it to be only on a per site basis so it does not affect your other sites. Take a look at those try them out if you like them keep them if you don't it is very easy just to go back into your add ons and remove them.

No Squint
Stylish
Color that site
Styles Tuner
and another one to consider is NO Color, it is very small and easy and just simply removes those colors from your page.

o

Easy fix. Use Opera! LOL Cut the ads without add-ons, Fit to width to make it more readable. Faster browser. Safer browser. Don't need the extra hassle of downloading and continual patch updates. Don't even need to use Spywareblaster with it like Firefox, IE and other less secure browsers. No pastel fonts either. More customizable too. But, few seem to want to leave the cumbersome and less safe browsers. To each their own.

o

Be sure to read the latest from GW at the top where it says "An exciting update from Gardenweb". That is above the list of threads. Evidently they are listening to our suggestions and making further changes based on them. Way to go, GW.

o

I guess I 'm the only one,but I love the new look - fresh and up to date. I can't believe it took so long to update the old format, but I am glad they did.

o

I like it too.......but I wouldn't want anyone to leave just because of the color of the print...

o

It's different but I'm certainly not leaving because of a change in format. So far hasn't bothered me.

o

Can anyone help me find "Options?" I have Firefox and a mac, but I cannot find Options under tools nor anywhere else. I see the color to the sides is a pale green now--better.

o

juneroses, thanks for your tip. I'm going to try that for a while to see if it works for me, and for my eye problems.

Shirley

o

I mentioned the other day when it first changed...that I can't read the light blue...it makes my eyes burn to look at it.

If they want the heading to be bolder...why not a darker color..
even bold black would work for me.

o

I agree that the headings have changed color, but I am not having any problem reading those and I am using ahcient eyes, I do have trouble with the slider bars and data boxes being so light they are hard to discover. Some of that can be changed by choosing a different color scheme for the Windows display. Also, my old computer is still in running shape. It has an analog monitor (picture tube) and my new computer has a digital. flat panel, LED screen. I find the LED monitor a little weak for the lighter colors, although its color balance is good enough for photo editing and printing.

I'm finding this site about as readable as before; its just different. People who have trouble seeing light blue will have problems with this new color scheme. Once, I worked with a felllow who was color blind to the high blues. The closer the hue got to ultraviolet, the less he could see,

o

sejerin click on tools up top on the Firefox toolbar, scroll on down to the lower part of the list to find options. However since you mention it is a mac it may be like the Linux version and instead be under view(or edit), then preferences, both lead to the same thing I don't know why they made them different. I have never looked at it on a mac so I don't know for sure.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 3:19

o

The Home Decorating - Off Topic Conversations forum has a beige background on the main page. I think that's a little easier on the eyes.

o

Thanks so much for trying to help, Raven. Unfortunately "options" is nowhere to be found. I do see it if I click on "Adblock Plus," but it only refers to that add-on. Nothing under View, Edit, Firefox, History, Window, nor Help. And I know I've found it in the past! I suppose it's time to update. Thanks again.

o

The headings are dark blue on my phone. I don't recall what color in my firefox browser on the computer, but I think they were readable. Like someone else mentioned, I don't like the graphic (grass) at the top. It is way too much slower to load, and I have cable modem. I don't know why web development think we like pretty better than fast.

o

The format of these boards is still very much in the stone ages as far as the Internet is concerned. Most forums are WAY more advanced than this. I assume most everyone would have a heart attack if they were as up to date as most are.

BTW I don't see anything pastel blue? My links are bright blue. I can see them just fine, I'm using Firefox.

o

on my tablet today they are now a much bolder darker blue. I will have to go check my desktop to see if it has changed also. The very very pale blue was extremely hard on my poor eyes.
You folks who have good eyes are very fortunate.

o

They do appear darker and bolder on the desktop firefox also but not quite as dark as the android firefox.

sjerin on my linux there is no options either but under Edit at the top there is Preferences and that is the same as the options, that leads to the firefox settings box and tabs I thought maybe Mac version was the same. You can try to google where are firefox settings on Mac.

I think all the various forums that have another side such as conversation and discussions all have that other side with a colored background so it can certainly be done here as well. The very pale green tint that is on the outer edges would be better than white.
I have definitely noticed a slower page load especially on my tablet. I have extremely high speed internet here at home.

o

sjerin I think I found it for you
Click on Firefox in your Firefox menu located at the top of your screen. When the drop-down menu appears, scroll down and click on the Preferences... choice.
there will be the settings box and tabs you should also see a content- advanced tab.. hope that helps

o

That's it, Raven!! Thank you, very much. The funny thing is, it still doesn't make the script on Gardenweb pages any smaller. But when I google, the print is larger now. Better than nuthin'!

o

P.S. The page numbers are bigger, but not the text--how funny.

o

lLOKS LIKE THEY MADE THE BLuE HEADING A DARKER BLUE EASIER TO READ

o

I'm using IE, subject line is black, username is medium blue (as earlier), colours on the list page change to red when one has checked them, back to blue following a subsequent post.

Green sometimes ... but I can't remember when (sort of resulting from CRS, I think).

As I said earlier related to the graphic around the top of the page ...
"Pss-s-st-t-t ... anyone wanna buy some grass?"!

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here