Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Dilly is gone

Posted by pkramer (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 17:41

We took Dilly for his final car ride this morning. Since his biopsy last Monday, he was getting worse each day and his pain was drastically increased. Even more meds no longer helped. By last night his cries and whimpers became screams. We knew we could not wait for the results and it was time.

So early this morning we lured him into a crate and carried it to the car. The emergency vets and techs were wonderful. They put an IV line into his paw while he was kissing them and brought him into a room. We sat on the floor with blankets, and tearfully said goodbye to the best dog in the world. The vet was also in tears.

The house feels empty but I am so relieved that he has no pain anymore. I will always miss him.

Peppi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Dilly is gone

I'm so sad to read this. Tears are streaming down my face. But he is no longer in pain. You did the right thing. Big hugs to you.

Barbara

o

I'm so so sorry for your sadness, but you did the right thing, is true. My sis just lost her last doggy yesterday--she cried all day. Have a good long cry.

o

How sad that is. I know your heart is broken, but you had no choice. May the good and happy memories comfort you. Do you have any plans to memorialize your dear pet, like make a photo album, plant a rose bush or something? It helps.

Post a photo if you can.

o

You did the right thing, this is one of life's saddest experiences. He was loved and had the great life he deserved.

Everyone in the generations of my family preceding mine has passed on. I have happy and mostly good memories of most of them, including my parents. Thinking of any of them is a mostly unemotional experience for me. However, the thought of any of my dogs, the furry former members of my family who have passed on, will bring me to tears. Every time.

o

Tears came as I read your post, but you surely did the right, compassionate thing. Knowing your beloved pet is free from pain will help to ease yours.

o

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. You did the right thing even though its so hard for you. We have had to do this several times with our pets its always hard but time heals us. Your pet is now pain free.
Mary

o

Bless your heart and soul - I am so sorry for your family.

o

I'm so sorry. I have good reason to believe you will see him again, but I know how hard it is right now. Sending sympathy and hugs.

o

Tears are in my eyes, reading this Peppi. I've been in your shoes more times that I would have wanted to. It is nice that your vet (as is ours) shown so much emotion.

Being there with Dilly was important for him. I couldn't believe how quick and literally painless it was for our cats.

Dilly is pain-free now, with wonderful memories of you and your family. You won't think so now, but your heart is large enough and can expand to adopt another pet at some point in the future.

o

I am so very sorry...I full well know what a heart ache this is. We open our hearts unconditionally to our pets, totally without the walls we sometimes build in order to navigate the world of humans unscathed.

It's that vulnerability that makes it so deeply painful for those of us who have truly loved and been loved by an animal.

o

I am so sorry. I know all too well how much it hurts to make the decision and to say goodbye. Sending hugs your way.

o

I'm so sorry that Dilly was in such pain. Glad you made such an unselfish decision.

o

I've only had cats, but have had many. I know what you're going through, and my heart goes out to you. But Dilly is no longer in pain, so you did the right thing. Hugs to you!

o

Sorry for your loss!

Dilly is no longer with pain!

o

May you find peace.

o

So sorry. it was the right thing to do. He isn't suffering any more.

o

As an animal lover, my heart truly breaks for you. It was the right choice, yes not an easy 1, but the right one. I remember all our past pets and even cry from time to time over pets I had many,many years ago, but when I think about it, they brought me soooo much happiness--thus the tears, so in a way, it is good tears! Glad Dilly had a great life and ty for sharing.

o

I'm so sorry. It's not easy, but you did the right thing. May your memories of Dilly help bring you peace.

o

Big hugs and a thank you, for making one of the hardest decisions all of us animal parents have to make. I know Dilly is thankful too. Dilly is fine now in the care of his creator. Our animals are only "on loan" to us for a while to love and be loved by them, until God wants them back home.

o

You're so brave to stay with him until the end. I think it'd be awfully hard to do.

o

Sharing your tears. It is never easy to lose a furbaby even when it is for the best.

o

I so hate it when I see these posts. We who have fur babies and said goodbye to many, share your pain. It's just so hard. ((((Peppi)))).

o

My heartfelt tears for your loss. It is a recurring sadness that so many friend share as it reminds us of all of our faithful friends who live in our hearts and memories every day. Thank you for sharing and allowing us to know Dilly as the faithful companion that shared your life. (((((HUGS)))))

o

I am so sorry for your loss. For people who don't have pets, I think they can't understand the pain. You did the right thing, and now he's at peace. I worry constantly about all my pets. In the morning I count them all when I come downstairs to feed them their breakfast. Your memories will bring you peace.

o

Oh Peppi! I am only just now seeing this. I am so sorry. My kindest wishes for soft comfort. good bye dilly.

o

I am so sad to hear this. Just know you did the right thing. Hugs to you.

Sue

o

So very sad to hear another companion has gone.

o

I'm sorry, I know it is hard to come home with the emptiness.

o

I'm so sorry to hear about Dilly. ((hugs))

o

no more pain....

o

So sad to see this...I don't know what the vet said, but when there is so much pain, we have to help our best friends be free from suffering.

My heart goes out to you. R.I.P. sweet Dilly.

o

So very sorry for your loss. We lost our sweet Boxer, Bella, a year ago and I still miss her every single day. Our remaining, and probably last, dog...Bella's sister and littermate Sasha is 10 now.......really showing her age. (I say 'last dog' because it is just so hard to lose them).
You have my heartfelt sympathy, take time to grieve, and cherish your memories of sweet Dilly. He is running free, and pain free!, at the Rainbow Bridge.

o

I am so sorry you lost your companion. It is so hard, but you know in your heart you did what was best for Dilly. Wishing you peace and sending you a heart filled hug.

o

Thank you everyone. I knew so many would understand.

Patti, it is very hard to do but your best friend deserves that you stay with them. Thankfully, it goes very, very fast.

o

We had to put my dog down a couple of years ago. He was suffering so much and looked into our eyes as if begging us to do something. We called our vet and when we took him out, he got out of the car himself, on his leash and literally ran around the yard as if saying " Thank you, thank you. I know the DR. will put an end to my suffering." it was so hard, but we sat on the floor and hugged him to the end. The Dr. left us alone with him then for a few minutes to finish our good byes. My son and I were so lonely we soon went to Animal Control and rescued another dog, who has been a real blessing too, but totally different. I am so sorry for you but you did the right and only thing you could.

o

I am also very sorry for loss. Our animals are our families, and it is so difficult to say goodbye. May Dilly RIP.

o

I'm so sorry. Please consider adopting another pet in Dilly's honor. It won't take the place of Dilly but will help distract you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here