Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fox is Reporting

Posted by azzalea (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 17:12

that the kidnapper is dead, the little boy is safe after some sort of explosian.

Don't know much more than that at this point. Such good news, though!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fox is Reporting

Thank goodness. Thank you to the FBI. I am glad the perp is dead. I don't want to hear about how crazy he was and the state doesn't have to support him.

o

YEA!!!

o

BREAKING: Midland City hostage situation ends
Wire services and various news media in south Alabama are reporting that the week-long hostage situation in Midland City has ended with the kidnapped boy safe, and with the kidnapper dead.

o

Thank God

Shirley

o

Thank heavens he spared that little boy. Sure hope he's okay. He was on meds for something.

o

4:43 p.m. Sen. Harri Anne Smith told WSFA she was with Ethan's mother when she got the call. Smith says his mother was strong and the little boy was brave. Mother is with her son at the hospital.

4:38 p.m. Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley issued a statement:

"I am thankful that the child who was abducted is now safe. I am so happy this little boy can now be reunited with his family and friends. We will all continue to pray for the little boy and his family as they recover from the trauma of the last several days. At the same time, we also want to remember the family and friends of the bus driver - Charles Poland, Junior. This man was a true hero who was willing to give up his life so others might live. We are all inspired by his courage and bravery. I ask everyone across the state - and the nation - to continue to lift up these families and the entire Midland City community in your prayers," the statement read in part.

4:36 p.m. Law enforcement officials confirm Dykes is dead but declined to say whether they shot him or if he shot himself. Dykes was seen with a gun in his hand, Richardson said.

4:30 p.m. Steve Richardson, Special Agent in Charge of FBI's Mobile office said that at 3:12 p.m, the FBI safely recovered the child. He said that within the the past 24 hours negotiations deteriorated, and fearing the child was in eminent danger, agents entered the bunker.

o

I wonder if we could do a better job of taking care of our mentally ill population. I know you can't *force* someone to accept help, but none of this had to happen -- and nobody should become so estranged from society that he decides he needs to shoot 'an enemy' or take a child.

Mr. Dykes was once somebody's five year old boy.

o

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I'm glad the kidnapper is dead. He was obviously a bad person and of no benefit to society. I heard that he beat a neighbor's dog to death with a lead pipe. They should have put him away when that happened; maybe the poor bus driver would be alive today.

Kudos to the FBI and law enforcement.

o

I'm glad the child is safe.

o

There've been major cutbcks in mental hospital services, with a view to having the patients function in society.

But they are easy marks for free-loaders ... and often get into trouble with the law.

A substantial portion of the inmates of our jails are people who aren't able to function well, mentally.

And it costs more to keep a person in jail for a year than in a hospital for the mentally/emotionally disadvantaged for a year.

Go figger!

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here