SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rknala

Pet Peeves

katlan
10 years ago

I know it's been discussed before. I know I have many. Here's my newest.....Up talking.

I've been watching a show on diy network this afternoon called House of Bryan, on the rocks. This contractor and his wife are building a lake "cottage" (term used loosely). The premise is each half hour show is another step in the planning, building, finishing of this house. His wife, Sarah I think her name is, up talks incessantly. She can't say a damn sentence without the last word going UP.

I had to quit watching. The house is halfway done and I truly cannot stand to hear her voice or how she talks. And it doesn't help that she's a totally snotty little sh!t.

o.k. rant over, haha.

Comments (53)

• Chi
    10 years ago

I talk like that. I don't notice it myself but people on the east coast have commented that everything I say sounds like a question. I consider it the same as a southern or Boston accent - I grew up in California and a lot of people speak like that. I had no idea it was so annoying to others, lol.

My pet peeves are people who yawn really loud or exaggerated and people who interrupt what I am saying to say "what?" I get that they missed the first part of what I said but most of the time they can figure it out if they just let me finish!

• cheri2008
    10 years ago

Very good dedtired.............

• Related Discussions

Pet peeve creases on bedsheets how to fix?

Q

Comments (9)
    Not sure if this is what you're dealing with, but after getting a FL washer, all the hems of our sheets, pillowcases, and kitchen towels got those accordion pleats at the hems. I mean ALL of them. I now hang the kitchen towels on folding drying rack to dry, in order to circumvent the pleating. We never ever had this phenomenon with our TL water hog washer. I tried ironing and then got tired of doing that. And, of course, the fabric finally frayed and developed holes along the folds. Someone here on the forum once said it has to do with the fabric being off-grain. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say yes or no to that. Very little fabric is woven on grain, anymore. True quality control went the way of everything else, years ago. All I know is that it started when we got our FL washer. Ugh...
    ...See More

Gardening myths or pet peeves?

Q

Comments (22)
    Having to purchase seeds, soil, and pots a year beforehand because they never hit shelves early enough. edit on my original post *-OVER watering outdoor gardens- I see a myth every now and again about how people over water out door gardens. (not indoor pots) Not sure where they live but I'd be hard pressed to find anyone in my neck of the woods that could possibly over water an outdoor garden. Probably not a myth, I just don't think over watering an out door garden is an issue unless your living in a high water flood table. and even then it should go without saying. I guess the same people that complain about over watering outdoor gardens also build raised garden beds to combat the high water tables which would make sense for them.
    ...See More

pet peeves of plant lovers

Q

Comments (4)
    One thing that drives me a tiny bit crazy, but I just look away, is singular plants dotted across a flat landscape, usually also featuring some kind of mulch. I also don’t like to see plants being abused like branches cut off trees and big stubs left or trees just randomly topped off. I haven’t found cats do as much damage as dogs, for one thing they are a lot smaller, although my neighbours cat kept trying to use my tomato planter as a toilet, so once I had that figured out, I blocked her off. It drives me batty seeing dog owners “walking” their dog in obvious garden beds as if they were in a public park, walking on a lawn. Also people who use gardens and planters like a trash can.
    ...See More

Pet Peeves? Packagung waste is one of mine

Q

Comments (44)
    One of the current problems with recycling is that China used to take a lot of the plastic film and mixed plastics, but stopped. I figure demand drives the business, so I still put them in the city recycling pickup (they didn't say not to) even though I know a lot of it must go to landfill. Most of my kitchen garbage is paper, like kleenex. There's not much of it. A little food garbage. Lots of vegetable remains that go to compost. A bigger bag of recycling, but little mass--mostly air. It's not that I go out of my way to use less packaging, but the kinds of things I buy and the places I choose to shop, don't have that much excess packaging. I'm weirded out when I get a stray package that has a lot of excess stuff. I think there's hope in general. They're trying to come up with packaging that doesn't require an additional plastic bag once it's open, even if they're not entirely successful yet. They're using more recycled paper internal packaging rather than plastic. Lego announced that they were switching to paper for that because the children asked for it, but I don't know what kind of paper. I received one product which was trying with a paper tray, but then had a heat sealed plastic film cover over it. They haven't gotten it figured out yet, but it was still minimal mass of packaging, so maybe a step ahead. Amazon is trying with their minimal packaging for items that don't require display packaging. As a child, I took an adult to task when she was picking up styrofoam cups for a meeting of a fledgling environmental activism organization, but she didn't get it. Today, we should think to foreswear even paper hot cups for bring your own mug. That might fly with the younger people nowadays, where the ones my age used to think that was too extreme. I have hope.
    ...See More
  • sushipup1
    10 years ago

I heard a news story, probably on the radio, about this subject, and found the article about it. Seems like men are starting to talk that way, too?

Good article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Men are starting to do it, too

• socks
    10 years ago

Ded, you crack me up!?

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

I find the "up-talk" annoying, also.

Chi83, I'm surprised you view this as an accent. I grew up in California, too, and have lived in many areas of the US. This is not a "California" or "West Coast" accent.

The up-talk phenomenon is fairly recent, and honestly, I only hear women and girls using it. I would classify it as a "style" of speaking, rather than as an "accent". I'd really be interested to know if you know a significant number of men using this style of speech.

Up-talking sounds as if you are uncertain about what you wish to communicate, and you are asking for validation. Honestly, if I'm listening to someone who sounds that needy - well, I do tune them out.

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Oops - I missed Sushipup's article, which was very interesting.

But I stand firm on my annoyance at up-talk.

• angelaid
    10 years ago

Househunters. International! We're moving to Romania (or wherever) to expose our children to a more culturally diverse experience ... but want the same lot space, square footage, open floor plan, stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, jetted tub, master bedroom, en suite., etc., that we had "at home" ... for 500.00 U.S. dollars a month.
    I'm exagerating (sp?), but not by much.
    No wonder the rest of the world hates us.

• Lily316
    10 years ago

Don't watch the show but just can't stand uptalk. It's mostly young women, and it is sooooo annoying. Not only does everything end in a question, their modulation is strange.

• Lindsey_CA
    10 years ago

What drives me nuts more than up talking is when people begin their answers with "I mean..." It's mostly younger people who do it, and I have no idea how it started, but I wish it would come to an abrupt end.

---

Example of a news correspondent interviewing a US Olympic athlete after their event:

News Correspondent: You just competed in your first Olympic event. How does it feel to know you're an Olympian?

Olympic Athlete: I mean, I was just so thrilled to be selected for the team. It's a dream come true for me.

News Correspondent: Well, you performed brilliantly in the training sessions. Do you think you'll be able to maintain that same level during the remainder of your competition?

Olympic Athlete: I mean, I sure hope so! It would be awesome to come home with a medal.

News Correspondent: What do you think about when you're competing? Do you think about the athletes who have already completed the event, or do you just think about what you're doing at that moment?

Olympic Athlete: I mean, of course the other athletes are on my mind, but I try to stay focused.

• suzieque
    10 years ago

YES!!! Yes to the annoyance of up talk (in my opinion, it makes someone sound ditzy, and as though they are saying "right?" at the end of every sentence).

And yes to "I mean" as you've noted it. Where in the world did that come from? It's nonsense.

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

......and the female voices that sound so babyish. They usually go hand in hand with the up talk.

• maxmom96
    10 years ago

My son, who is in television production, also complains about the "up talking" (I never knew it was called that), and says he has a terrible time trying to get the on-air news people not to do it.

I heartily agree with the overuse of words like "I mean", "actually", and "amaaaaaazing". Everything seems to be amaaaaazing these days.

My latest TV pet peeve is the electronic 'thumping' sound that fills in scene transitions, or whatever you call it. I've noticed this lately on the NBC Morning Show. It used to be in the background all the time on House Hunters. Drove me crazy, so I wrote to the powers-that-be on the show. I haven't noticed it since on their more recently produced shows. I like to think they heard me!

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes to the "I mean" and "amaaaaaazing". And absolutely yes to the sound of up talkers voices. Usually girls. Usually high pitched to start with. And they all sound like "valley girls" Oh my Gawd. It makes them sound uneducated and like, you know, I mean, the most important thing in the world is, like, how cute are these shoes?

I really am glad to know other people have noticed this irritating trend and don't like it. I thought I was getting grumpy, hahaha.

• User
    10 years ago

I had to youtube this term because I didn't know what you were talking about. I call it Valley Girl Talking. Yes, it's annoying, makes me think the person talking is like you know, like ......... an airhead.

Here is a link that might be useful: UpTalking

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

I've been told that the uptick of modulation in one's voice at the end of a statement sounds to the listeners as though one is uncertain ... that if one ends with a lowering tone, it sounds authoritative ... as though one is sure of one's self - decisive. Knows what s/he's talking about.

If you want to give the impression that you are a positive, knowledgeable person - a good candidate for hiring ... or having one's suggestion accepted and acted on - don't use that method of speaking!

I was going to bi!ch about (and isn't that a gender-specific term, for you?) the "amaaazing" thing, too ... and I have a couple of others: how about, "AB-solutely!!" (and did you ever hear someone, when discussing something unusual, use the term "inCREDible!")? [Spell-check doesn't like *several* words in this paragraph).

Isn't it incredible how some people talk?

Absolutely!

o j

• maxmom96
    10 years ago

Due to poor hearing, I also have problems with speakers, particularly when they're supposedly "pros" lowering their tone at the end of sentences.

The last minister at our church had this problem, and I've also noticed when listening to or watching Chris Kimball on America's Test Kitchen he's very guilty of this. The sentence just sort of fades away to nothing.

Young women's voices can be very irritating regardless of what they're expounding on. Wouldn't it be nice if people would make a tape of themselves talking and then play it back.

• sjerin
    10 years ago

To hijack and expand on OJ's comment about gender-specific 'terms,' did you ever notice that most epithets meant to insult are feminine in nature? I find this incredibly insulting!

Sorry, Katlan.

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

Hi again sjerin,

"God" gets involved in that quite a lot, also.

Possibly less so by the folks who claim that they don't believe in "Him" ... ("Her" ... as the case may be).

We've had three ministers in our church in the past 30+ years of its existence ... two of them female.

(Did you say, "incredibly" - as in "unbelievably"?)

o j

• chisue
    10 years ago

The movie "In A World" is about the voice-over business. The female lead character also coaches people -- primarily women -- to improve their speech.

One young woman student has both the Valley Girl speech pattern and a vocal pitch that makes her "sound like a squeaky toy". Unsurprisingly, she's getting nowhere in her interviews to become a corporate attorney. Her resume looks good, but who would hire an attorney who doesn't sound like an adult; who can't present her thoughts in a concise manner; who seems to be begging your approval by phrasing everything as a question; and who...squeaks?

(I can't recommend this movie, although it had some funny bits. It was too 'inside Hollywood' -- made about and for other people within the business.)

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

As for your difficulty hearing your minister, maxmom, (s)/he needs some voice training.

When one lowers one's tone at the end of a sentence, one doesn't just let it trail off, getting quieter, one lowers the note levels, as in "doh, re, mi", but not the decibels, keeps the voice strong and projects (for clergy - that's to hit the back wall of the auditorium).

ole joyful

• redcurls
    10 years ago

I very, very much get annoyed with background music with lyrics playing on a television show. The words of the song interferes with the words being spoken. Even WORSE is when I have closed captions turned on during programs because the characters speak too fast. Now I also get to read the lyrics sandwiched between the dialog. Wish they would just have instrumental music...or NONE. (And I'm a music lover.)

• sjerin
    10 years ago

Yeah, OJ, I used that word in fun, re your post. :)

• lefleur1
    10 years ago

Do any of you watch the television show Parenthood? We really like it, however, the constant use of *I mean* * you know* etc. is almost enough to drive you to turn off the t.v. but .. but .. it's such a good program .. sigh ..

• satine_gw
    10 years ago

I hate trying to watch the news on tv and having much of the screen obliterated by time/date/temperature/rolling script top and bottom of screen etc. I find it very distracting. Satine

• Sue_va
    10 years ago

I believe the I mean and the you know have replaced the word well that used to be the start word of a comment.

I agree that almost nothing is amazing any more, or even awesome.A while back a similar thread was running here at the KT and I commented on the fact that for every baby pic that was posted the baby was described as adorable.

What really irritates me is the news anchors all talk too fast and too low. Please, just slow down and speak up.

Sue

• alisande
    10 years ago

I didn't know "up talking" had a name. I knew one person who spoke like that, and I always thought it made her sound helpless. Chi83, maybe you'd better start working on this. :-)

My pet peeve of today is on a different topic: online product reviews (on Amazon, for example) that have nothing to do with the product. People will give an item only one star because it was sent to the wrong address, or because they misunderstood what it was supposed to do, or because they got it as a gift from their brother-in-law, who should have known they already had one.

Tonight I read a review of a brand of soy lecithin. It says right on the label: SOY LECITHIN. The person gave it only one star because "I didn't know it was made out of soy."

• User
    10 years ago

"up talking" for sure but now our newsreaders are doing a new annoying thing. They get to the end of the story .... a n d ....... j u s t ...... r u n ........ d o w n.

And another thing!! They tell almost the whole story but we have to come back after the break for the punch line. Just tell it!! If I have time to listen, I have time. I'll be there. If I have to leave, your trailer isn't going to keep me in front of the TV so I can find out the rest of the story. How long could it possibly take to finish what you're saying? Maybe take the time ..... from...... the ...... example ........ above.

• chisue
    10 years ago

Thanks for the laughs, Alisande! (Didn't know it was really, really SOY eh?)

By those standards I should complain about our new mattress because the delivery driver failed to call to confirm he was really, really *coming* -- and let the delivery window slip by before he came. I was sure we'd have another night on a lumpy mattress! Plus, now I need a step ladder to climb into bed -- another *fault*! Who knew when they described a king mattress with a 12" thickness that it would be a foot high!

• pekemom
    10 years ago

Along with the "up" talking, I dislike the drawing out of the last word of the sentence...."We went to the beeeeach. Then we took a waaaaalk. Everything was so cleeear".....it's always the last word...I hear that a lot.

• dorothy_oahu
    10 years ago

I agree with redcurls. It is so annoying. WHY do they have loud background music playing so you can't hear what is being said and people speak so fast sometimes that the closed captioning disappears before you have a chance to even see it much less read it. I'm always asking my daughter, "What did they say?" And they put the words to the background song in the closed captioning! ARG! if I'm alone I rewind it to try and figure out what was being said.

I've noticed a lot of people speek really fast, now. Many talk shows are hard to listen to as people talk faster an louder over each other. The same on some news shows. I guess I' better start taking notes and start complaining to the offending shows.

I also agree with all the other comments on the Valley Girl talk. I mean, like ya know?

When I was working in the ' 80's here in Hawaii, several young women would end every sentence with "yeah?" I'm going to lunch, yeah? I'm taking this downstairs, yeah? My son's hone sick today, yeah? Ya know what I mean, yeah?

Another thing I notice a lot is how many people have a lisp. Even some TV news people have a slight lisp. Is that hard to correct? Some parents think that it's cute. If my girls mispronounced a word or sound when they were learning to talk had them look at my mouth and mimic me.

last week my DD was talking to her friend who had just gotten a puppy. Her DD wanted to name it Sophie or Zoe. My DD said don't name it Sophie because too many have a speech impediment now. So many lisp that her friends will call it Thofie or Thoph. Just then she heard in the background a little girl with a lisp. It was a friend of her daughter. DD said, "See! i told you. The girl will call the puppy Thophie! The puppy is now Zoe.

*People with a lisp can't pronounce the word lisp.

Don't get me started on how many people use the F word ALL the time. They can't seem to talk without using it several times in every sentence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making the

• alisande
    10 years ago

Oh, those modern mattresses! I love mine now, but when I first got it several years ago I almost cried because it seemed to me it swallowed up my nice beadboard bed. It was actually higher than the footboard, which was not the way I'd envisioned it.

Of course I later made it worse by putting foam on top. I can foresee a time when I might have trouble getting into it. Sometimes when my knees are hurting it's awkward at best.

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

We always say that the (always) women in radio/TV ads who talk a certain way are "chipmunks". I tune them out automatically and cannot tell you what they are advertising. I can't quite write it out, but you probably know what I mean.

Chipmunk....

• nelles_gw
    10 years ago

Something that really annoys me is that people now never use "me". Instead, "I" is used incorrectly, such as "come meet with John and I", or "our son came to visit my husband and I".

I thinks people have come to fear using "me" incorrectly, so the word is hardly ever used anymore! Now "I" is being used, frequently incorrectly.

In the above examples, the speaker would never (I hope) use "we" instead of "us"!

In the exteme, the other night, I heard some use "I" in a possessive way: "I love the way John's and I's (!!!!!) kitchen turned out".

Just my rant!

Ellen

• nelles_gw
    10 years ago

Something that really annoys me is that people now never use "me". Instead, "I" is used incorrectly, such as "come meet with John and I", or "our son came to visit my husband and I".

I thinks people have come to fear using "me" incorrectly, so the word is hardly ever used anymore! Now "I" is being used, frequently incorrectly.

In the above examples, the speaker would never (I hope) use "we" instead of "us"!

In the exteme, the other night, I heard some use "I" in a possessive way: "I love the way John's and I's (!!!!!) kitchen turned out".

Just my rant!

Ellen

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

Ellen, the horrid usage that I hate is an improper verb form, as in "I am wanting a recipe of bread" instead of "I want a recipe" or even "I am looking for a recipe". This has become so common and it really grates on my nerves. "I am wanting a vacation" or whatever. Errrrrrrr!

This post was edited by sushipup on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 14:22

• suzieque
    10 years ago

Agreed, Sushi!!!

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

This is all news to me...I've never thought of it before. I'm from the south, the Houston area, and I talk like crazy stupid sounding but I DO NOT HEAR THIS in my head when I'm speaking. I can imagine that they've grown up around it and it's just how they've trained themselves to speak and are unaware of this annoying habit.

I've been hearing things like instead of "didn't" they will say "di-int" or instead of "curtains" it's "cur-ins"...that drives me crazy.

• Sue_va
    10 years ago

I guess it would be rude to mention names here, so I won't, but there is one TV "personalty" that lets her voice get so screechy that it grates on my nerves. And if she feels like she just must remind us again that she is a recovered alcoholic, I'll screetch! Actually; I just don't tune in to her show any more.

And I don't under stand why some shows line up a panel of guests, and then let them talk all over each other, including the host. SAY WHAT? I've given up on those shows, too. And they are on the same channel, which used to be one of my favorites.

Sue

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

A couple of pet peeves that I can think of. One is grammatical......"her and I". Oh that grates on my nerves!!

Another is our morning news program. They only give the guests a couple of minutes, and they either get cut off before they are done their segment, or they rush through it. Cooking segments are done like this all the time. Another is our favourite horticulturist. I wanted to see his segment on houseplants, and he didn't even get to talk about them, because his time was over, when he was talking about another plant. Geesh, if you're going to have them on, give them time!

Like others mentioned, the background music on tv drowns out the dialogue. Horrible.

• maxmom96
    10 years ago

Ellen, along the same lines, what had happened to grammar that causes people to now say "Me and Jim are going. . . "? "Me" and . . . . seems to be what even those who should know better seem to think is correct these days.

I've heard people say that if some trend is used long enough it becomes the norm and acceptable. Oh, I sure hope not!

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

An very annoying practice some have, that seems to be much too prevalent - using an apostrophe for a non-possessive plural:

I'm accumulating a file of different brownie recipe's.

• User
    10 years ago

Two or more items is not apostrophe s!! Grrrrr!

• User
    10 years ago

snidely, looks like we both had the same thought. You got here first.

One other thing in general, don't know as it could be called a pet peeve. Why must ALL the daytime tv shows be the exact same formula? Panel of hostesses. Guest celebrity host. Hollywood gossip. Cooking segment. Make over. Even Rachel Ray did it. A cooking show that isn't. It's a catch 22. We watch because that's all that's on and they keep producing crap because we watch it. There really isn't a reason to have a TV these days.

I never watch/ed Survivor but I did like Jeff Probst's daytime show. He got cancelled. The formula shows are still on, I guess. I found a very relaxing thing to do instead of watch. Turn the TV off. Listen to the quiet. Isn't it wonderful! and then I loose track of time because there isn't anything to break into my train of thought.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Oh, yeah! The apostrophe is my biggest peeve.

Here's one: a specially engraved wood sign that hangs on someone's house that says The Smith's. I want to go up to the door and say, "The Smith's what?" Plural RARELY NEEDS AN APOSTROPHE, PEOPLE! There are very few particular cases which require an apostrophe to make a plural.

And here's another: it's. Don't use the apostrophe unless you can substitute the words "it is." You only use it's when it is a contraction of "it is."

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Since we're on the topic of grammar, I hate when I see 'your' and "you're" mixed up. I see it on posters, online, almost everywhere.

Your is a possession......your handbag, your name.
    You're is You are.

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

I know that I have been absentmindedly typing along and have written your instead of you're or vice versa. I have also mixed up their, there, and they're by just not paying attention even though I do know the difference. This is not out of stupidity, it's out of fingers and brain not being in sync or I guess that IS STUPIDITY...HAHA! Once on FB, a person that I know had been making a huge DEAL out of screwing up you're and then one day it happened...HE SCREWED IT UP so I naturally brought it to his attention and he was not at all pleased that I told him...needless to say we are no longer "friends" on FB..LMAO!

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

Something that's been bugging me and it may be perfectly correct but the use of "whilst" and "smelt" and I'm sure there are others. I was under the impression that "smelt" had to do with the melting of metals but I have been seeing it used when referring to fragrances. I was reading a book on dog obedience the other day and he used "whilst" ALL THE TIME. I guess it's regional? I'm sure that when we are speaking, we do not SAY "whilst". Right?

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

A few months back I saw someone wearing a t-shirt that said:

Let's eat, grandma.

Let's eat grandma.

Correct punctuation saves lives!

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

"Whilst" is somewhat normal in British usage, but (in my experience) it can come off as being a bit of an affectation. Even to some Brits. As in someone acting pseudo-pensively and trying to express something profound.

• naughtykitty
    10 years ago

I have 2:

1: The use of "I" instead of "me"

2: pronouncing HEIGHT as HeighTH. It ends in a hard T, not a TH! That one drives me batty!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!