Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I lost 52 pounds :0)

Posted by poohbear2767 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 17:00

Went to the heart doctor last Thursday. He admitted me to the hospital.
My kidneys can't do their job of filtering blood because my heart just can't
pump enough blood to them to work with. So they put me on a medicine
that makes my heart work harder and I get better kidney function.
I lost 52 pounds of water since last Thursday night.

The medicine will shorten my life but give me better quality of life.
I was miserable when I went in. Now I can (carefully) walk around the house.
I have some sort of portable IV setup here at home. Not a pole.

Other than that, just life as usual.

Pooh Bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I lost 52 pounds :0)

Oh, Poor Bear, that's more than 6 gallons if I remember right...you must have been miserable. I hope you feel much better, and have many pleasant and peaceful days.
You're in our prayers.

o

I am glad you were able to get some relief. Wishing you the very best.

Sue

o

So glad the meds are helping you. That is alot of fluid. Wishing you comfort.

o

Well Pooh I am glad that you are feeling better and I think maybe better quality of life is better than longer life. Good luck and maybe you will be blessed with both.

o

You have to be feeling so much better with that amount of weight/water loss. You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

o

Sorry you had to reach such a low to start on something to help you feel better! *Quality* beats 'just hanging on' by a mile. Do you have a plan for further care?

o

Wowzer, that's a lot of weight. You must feel ever so much better. I imagine you're very familiar with the bathroom now, too!

o

That's a lot of fluid, isn't it! Hope you feel much, much better over the next few days as you adjust to your new self. Please take good care.

o

Hope you are feeling better ! You will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

o

Well quality is a good place to start!

o

That is great news! I know you feel a little better this way. I am so glad you let us know how you are doing. You remain in my prayers.

Tami

o

I'm glad that you're able to get around better, Pooh, and hope that the medicine continues to help. Sorry to hear that it may well reduce the number of your days among us.

Sending good thoughts and hopes your way ... and offering some prayers on your behalf.

ole joyful

o

photo congratulations-1.gif

I'm so glad you posted. I've been wondering how you were doing, So glad to know you are improving.

Sue

o

You must feel better, after losing all that fluid. Please take care of yourself. You are in my special thoughts and prayers.

o

I thank everyone for the special thoughts and prayers and words of support.
I'm trying to stay positive. The cardiologist said 3 to 6 months.
I can't imagine only having that short amount of time. So much to do.
So much to get in order; so much to plan, so many decisions to make.
So much to do, so little time to do it in.
I'll try to keep everyone informed.

Pooh Bear

o

Bless your heart, PB - keep a positive attitude. What doesn't get done just doesn't get done. Let your heart rest.

o

Oh my, I am wishing you all the best on this journey.

o

Doctors are often wrong with their prognosis. I've seen that in people I know. 3- 6 months could be 3 years. Or a complete healing. Miracles DO! happen. I've seen that too. Do what you need to do to have a good quality of life and GO FOR IT! Have faith. Have hope. Prove your cardiologist WRONG WRONG WRONG. I know someone (brother-in-laws brother-in-law) who was diagnosed with a rare disease and told he had 1-2 years. 12 years later, he is the longest lived survivor of this disease, and other than taking a lot of meds daily, lives a full and active normal life. Just another example of people who defy their doctor's predictions. I am praying that you will, too.

o

Oh poohbear, I'm so glad you have some relief. 52 lbs, that number is just incredible to me.

I pray you have many, many good days. God bless you.

o

That's great news, Pooh, and I agree- drs can be wrong! Good luck!

o

WOW! That's a lot of water. I agree with you, I would rather have 6 months of quality living than 1 year of misery. I do hope and pray that the doctor is wrong. You have a wonderful attitude and that goes a long way.

o

I'm glad you have some relief poohbear, you are in my thoughts and prayers

o

I'm happy to hear that you are feeling some relief. Enjoy every day and remain positive. Doctors are often wrong.

o

Well that is good news that you are a bit more comfortable and able to get around somewhat. Prayers and hugs to you as you continue on this journey. Stay as positive as you possibly can. Everyone here is thinking of you during this trying time.

o

We all want to see you prove the doctor wrong. My prayers for you continue.

o

so what goes out must be replaced, so are you drinking a lot of water to flush your kidneys? do you have a kidney dr? one thing mine stresses is vit d, both otc and my prescription form...I seem to have water bottles all over the house, lol

wonder if my fil is in the same situation? know he gets water retention often....

o

You and my husband share a positive attitude. His oncologist said that is a powerful thing. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

o

You must be feeling so much better. I have never heard of anyone having that amount of fluid. Hugs to you.

o

Pooh, I just can't imagine how bad you must have felt with that much extra fluid. I'm glad you were able to get rid of it. I know you feel better.

3 years ago my mother was given 6 mo. or less to live and she is still alive. Think positive thoughts.

o

Thank goodness for the meds we have today;
52 pounds that you don't have to haul around must make a tremendous difference.

It seems to me that I've spent a lot of time weighing every ounce of data before making decisions, & then worrying over whether my decisions were the optimal ones.

Here's what I wish I'd done instead:

get input from the people closest to me or the people who would be most affected by my decisions,
make my decisions quickly, based on data but also on intuition or 'sleeping on it' (or whatever you want to call that magical thing that our brains do when we make our busybody ADHD logical left brain shut up).

Then, once decisions had been made, delegate their implementation to someone else, & forget about it & travel on.

In a way, you have a gift here:
you can *& should* enjoy each moment,
savor every word & every bit of laughter from your loved ones,
& revel in the images of their faces.

Tell your stories (preferably with a recorder present, becuse people just can't remember everything),
express your love & gratitude,
tell people what they mean to you.

Spend your time being happy & enjoying your loved ones.

holding you in my thoughts & in my heart,

sylvia

o

Always good to have a plan, as long as the planning won't occupy too much of your time.

I love Sylvia's advice on getting things settled, then 'dusting your hands' of that, freeing you to go on living THIS day, THIS hour.

You are kind to let us travel with you for a while. It's appreciated.

o

Keep eating correctly and keep losing weight..and like everyone says...keep a positive attitude.

I know..I know...people say they survived this and that all the time, but....the doctors gave me no more than five years to live, and that was fourteen years ago...

Keep taking off weight and see if that doesn't help also....my thoughts are with you....

o

Sending positive thoughts!

Prayers included! Hugs!

o

Holy smokes. Fifty two pounds of fluid?? Where did you keep t? So glad that it is gone now, but I am sorry that you are facing these challenges.

If I had to choose between six months of felling pretty good and six years of felling constantly sick, I'd choose the six months.

Wishing you well on this journey. Just take things one day at a time.

o

OMG! 52 pounds?!! When I was diagnosed with Addison's disease they flooded me with fluids and then I took off about 20 pounds in a few days, and I thought *that* was bad!

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you will continue to go on with the grace you've shown so far ... and for far longer than the doctors expect.

o

Poohbear, you continue to impress us all. Love U

o

God Bless You, Pooh.

o

I know you're feeling better minus the 52 pounds. Keep strong.

o

Wow, that is really something. As others have said, you just never know! I hope you're feeling much better. Am keeping you in my prayers.

o

This is the first I've read of your health issues. I so sorry you are going through this. I'm very sad for you. I agree that doctors have been known to be wrong. My aunt was given a few months 18 months ago, when she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She is still here. My nieces baby was not supposed to live long enough to leave the delivery room. He was born yesterday and not only is he alive, he's not on life support. He has a very long road ahead of him (won't get into the details), but every doctor who has spoken to his mom for the last six months has been wrong so far. My own son wasn't supposed to live a day. He lived 34 years, 50 weeks!

Stay positive! Keep smiling. We're all here to support you. I wish I could reach through the screen to give you a big hug. :)

o

Pooh, sending gentle hugs,

Donnakt

o

When my sister was given a only a 2 to 5 year survival rate, she decided she would make her brain think differently sooooo. Every day she woke up with the attitude "I'm not going to die today so no worries, make this day count" and she did. Today she's still doing it, that was 21 years ago. The rapid growing cancer stopped and there is no medical explanation why. Even if it hadn't had this outcome, the fact that she only took life in increments of 24 hours which she could foresee that she wouldn't die on that day and it took all the anxiety and fear she had prior to changing her way of thinking. I pray for you daily. Smile more and spread love.

o

Sorry I'm a little late responding to this post.
I came to the KT looking for information about you.
Am happy to hear you're able to walk around.

Don't let a prediction drag you down, humans aren't always right.
Just thank God every morning you wake up, for another day
And make the best of that day.

Hugs

patti

o

I, too, came looking for an update. I'm glad you lost all that water weight. You must feel better. I agree with Drewsmaga and Yayagal! Get up every day and take those careful walks, every day, as often as you can. Hugs to you and your family....

o

Glad to hear that the doctor was able to give you something to make you feel better Poohbear. I can't imagine the discomfort you were having. Remember no one knows how long we have and I believe positive thinking plays a big part in our healing. Please remember that we all are pulling for you to feel better and stronger each day.

o

Thinking of you today, Pooh. Hope it is a good one.

o

Poohbear I think of you often and always say a prayer. I agree it must be daunting, to say the least, to have someone tell you that you're on a journey towards death. Try and take the attitude that, prior to this statement, you were still on that journey. We all are and, since we can only die in one second on one day, we all put it aside as we have living to do. Buy a new plant, send funny letters to your family, let people know that mattered in your life and on and on and try to maximize your life. I wish to God it wasn't so that you have to go through this. I'm sorry about that. I've always found prayer to be my solace and I always pray for what God wants and not what I want. Try it.

o

Haven't yet posted to you, Pooh, but my prayers have been with you. Glad you have some relief with the fluid loss. I firmly believe in the power of prayer and the power of laughter. May you experience both. One prayer that never fails is that God's will be done, and that is my prayer for you. You and Cindy are loved.

o

Praying you will soon be well. I have a friend that the dr. told her she'd live 3 - 6 months.........and.......she's doing well 4 years later !!

o

Any more news from Pooh?

o

I posted on some other threads :o)

Pooh Bear

o

Does someone know where else he posted?

Where else did you post, Pooh, please?

ole joyful

o

I've slept since then. You can do a search on my user name.

My water weight went back up a little too much, so the doctor gave me
some booster pills for my diuretics and now it is back down.
I'm sleeping a LOT. I'm tired all the time. I wake up tired.
Still hanging in there though.

Pooh Bear

o

Thanks for the message.

Glad to hear that things are going reasonably well with you, Pooh.

I've been sending some good thoughts and hopes your way ... and some prayers offered on your behalf.

Here's hoping that things keep looking up down there near Chattanooga(sp).

ole joyful

o

Here you go ole joyful...

Here is a link that might be useful: other post

o

Sorry you are going through this. I am praying for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here