SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

The dog on 'Doc Martin'

alisande
12 years ago

I just started watching the first episode of Doc Martin (thanks to the fans at the KT), and saw a dog that looks exactly like Angel, our family's late companion. My daughter Jill found Angel as a puppy, looking abandoned on a road. We had no idea what she was, but a Briard breeder identified her as a Briard. She certainly had all the personality characteristics of a Briard, too, but lived much longer (16 years) than the breed's average (11-12 years). I figured she was a Briard with some hybrid vigor.

I Googled Doc Martin Dog and found discussions of the possible breed. I looked the suggested breeds up, but none of them look as much like the dog in the show as Angel did. Does this dog remain on the show through the various seasons?

Here's Angel:

Comments (36)

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On second thought (after seeing more of the show), the TV dog is somewhat smaller and has a shorter nose.

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

Angel looks a bit like a Scottish Deerhound who coincidentally won Best in Show last night at Westminster Dog Show.

Jodi-

• Related Discussions

How can I watch the first two episodes of Season 6 Doc Martin?

Q

Comments (21)
    You all are sooooo helpful. Amazon and Netflix want to charge me extra, but I don't wanna pay. :) I did just check the city library and saw that the dvd is waiting to be shelved. I flew over there only to discover our library is closed Sun., Mon. AND Tues. Isn't that sad?? I used to be able to go to our county library as well, which has waaay more selection, but now they charge $80/year, which I won't pay. Sure do miss that library. I guess if/when I finally do get that dvd from the library, I'll watch the whole darn thing. Thanks again for all the good ideas.
    ...See More

Season 2 Doc Martin...great!

Q

Comments (10)
    DH and I have enjoyed so many UK series. Our library has almost everything we wanted on DVD. I can't even remember what season we're on with "New Tricks". If you like "Doc", you might like "Reggie Perrin" (with Martin Clunes). I've enjoyed the "Downton Abbey" series. However, we just watched Season Two, Episode 6, and I'm sorry to say it is starting to feel like a daytime soap. Our spinal-injury hero is evidently about to regain use of his 'nether parts', and we've had a case of *amnesia* in the plot. Oh, puhleese! This isn't up to the high standard of the story line thus far -- although The Lady and the Chauffeur is a trite cliche.
    ...See More

Any Doc Martin fans out there?

Q

Comments (10)
    I watched a few episodes online and they're running it on PBS now. There's some amusing spots and I like the premise. I really *want* to like it but can't get into it. Some of the accents are too heavy and hard to understand which makes it difficult to follow too. Either it's going to take a while to get used to it or I don't know if I can get into it. Maybe I just need to sit and watch it from the beginning to get used to the cast and watch it grow a bit. There's a lot of the britcoms I really enjoy but can't really get into this one yet.
    ...See More

Port Wenn flowers (Doc. Martin show)

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes this has come up before in the perennials forum. They are Centranthus, and in that mild, cool summer zn 9 climate are in bloom for most of the year.
    ...See More
  • alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, she does! Angel had a little less leg and a lot more hair. LOL

• User
    12 years ago

The dog is a constant thorn in the side of Doc Martin who hates dogs.

As an aside, if you watch it long enough you will get an opinion of Doc Martin and I will be interested in your thoughts. I think he is Aspergers. Or rather he is on the spectrum for Aspergers.

Martin Clune is creepy to me as that Doc and friends laugh when I say I have had nightmares about him but in any case he has many sides to his career and one of his characters is very funny, sorta sloppy. That one is hard on me too!!

Just a thought, if you haven't wiki'd him here are his stats. I too look forward to more 'nightmares.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Martin Clune's Doc Martin.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

He loves animals and has done documentaries on them. Has a farm with many. He has mentioned how the response to animals on his show was a bit difficult since he wouldn't do this in real life. But the cast all love the animals, so I'm sure they are treated well and their training to his harsh words aren't taken as we see.

• ronf_gw
    12 years ago

Bigbaby and I are both fans of Doc Martin. You'll love the show.

Ron

• sjerin
    12 years ago

No, they don't keep the dog in episodes past the first season. :(

Ellie, have you seen Martin Clunes in other shows? He's sooooo different! He's also done a documentary-type show on the small islands off the coast of England in which he appears a congenial and fun man--very ordinary! I think he's so talented to play the Doc character well.

• User
    12 years ago

sjerin, I came across another of his shows where he is laughing alot - a jolly fella but didn't stay to watch but told someone in Barcelona!! who enjoys the show and we do talk about him.

Oh, I think I remember something about why the dog wouldn't continue on the show. Oh yeah......

Well, he plays the character of one with Aspergers very well. I don't remember that fella in his office who asked him (maybe that's when it struck me) but just shows you how they stick little clues in.

Will never understand why Louisa loves him. He is so detached from real intimacy or is even a friend. Knows his craft and will do the right thing on auto pilot. Adult avoidance. Ruins every outing for her.

I have a family member who is like that with a similar diagnoses. Very, very detached from the pain he gives out.

HOWEVER, I still watch the same episodes over and over wanting for more.

• DocFan8733
    11 years ago

I love the show, Doc Martin and want to add my two cents against The Doc having Asperger's. First, in real life we have gotten used to labeling everyone and everything, usually negatively. If you watch often enough, you will see that Martin is a product of his emotionally cruel, distant, and absent parents and unloving up bringing. Surviving these negatives buy diving deeper into and hiding behind his high intelligence, he has developed a shield of protection from emotional pain. What better way to fend off potential friends, enemies, love interests and turn-coats than being "gruff, monosyllabic, and rude" (according to Louisa Glasson, Martin's true love - she adds 'well meaning' in the quote)?

Dr. Ellingham is a different person when he is interacting with those of high rank in his medical field. He is at his most stunted in Cornwall because he is a fish out of water. Louisa asks in S1-E1, what his patient skills are. He responds by listing his disconnected experiences as department head, number of surgeries, and how many years he has been a surgeon. People, emotionally messy, loud, uncouth, annoying people have hurt him deeply and the safest way to have interactions with his species is to serve them with his intelligence through medicine; whether it be through surgery or the GP's office.

There is supposed to be a 6th season to be released later this year in Britain. In the last season, #5, Martin turns to Louisa at the very end of the last episode and says "I'm not going to be like my father!" He's willing to change. He has said so in several episodes and now he declares it! People with disorders such as Asperger's can be lead, trained, taught. Martin is a self-learner. Not likely possible with Asperger's.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

DocFan, thanks for your comments -- that gives me a lot to think about.

Alisande, we are also big fans of the show and even enjoy watching repeat episodes. You will see the dog in that first season, at least.

As sjerin and others have said, Martin Clunes is a nice, down-to-earth fellow in real life, and an animal lover.

• kim_okla
    11 years ago

"Doc, what's wrong with my daughter?" "She's annoying!"

I love Doc Martin.

• DocFan8733
    11 years ago

Hey, kim_okla ... LOL LOL LOL LOL!!! Me too!!

• ourguys
    11 years ago

I think it's the same dog who barks and scares Hyacinth Bucket into the hedge!

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

I like Doc Martin but really adore Martin Clunes in William and Mary.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

The only thing is......I made the mistake of wiki-ing Clunes and discovered he wasn't very nice to his first wife. :(

• Lynn Staples-Cawthra
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think my little lady looks most like the dog in Doc Martin. She is around 20 months old, her name is Freya, was Angel. She was rescued off the streets in Romania, brought to the UK, and then kept in a stable, barely saw the light of day for 7 months! For all she's been through she is a funny, sensitive, loving, nervous girl, she's adorable.

P.S. Don't understand why my photo won't post, can any one give any advice please?

• grainlady_ks
    8 years ago

We are big Doc Martin fans - once you get passed the "creepy" lips. We first saw him as a creepy character in something years ago, so it took awhile to get over that. We've had Doc Martin DVDs for many years now (watched them many times), and now catch it weekly on PBS. We don't even care which episode we watch - we enjoy them all.

I considered the dog Doc's polar opposite. He also has run-ins with Auntie June's little dog. In real life, Clunes has 4 dogs - the Labrador, Jack Russell, Jackahuahua (the Jack Russell- Chihuahua cross, who can walk under the other Jack Russell) and the eight-month-old cocker spaniel on his farm in west Dorset - according to one source.

I happen to enjoy characters who are emotionally unattached - Aspergers-like (or whatever the personality disorder is). They cut through (or disengage from) the emotional tangle to get to the "Joe Friday" level ("just the facts") of their business. Like Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory), and a new favorite character that is equally unemotional, DS Sean Stone in a British series "Chasing Shadows" we're watching on ACORN TV (we stream it on our ROKU). In the case of DS Sean Stone (played by Reece Shearsmith), who works in the Missing Persons Bureau, "He knows how people work but he doesn't understand them." is how they byline his character.

I happen to be married to a delightful guy (44-years) who has similar personality traits, but not quite to this extreme. I would also put myself into this category, which is why shows with a lot of emotional drama wear me out.

BTW - Martin Clunes has a new series. See Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) and Charles Edwards (Downton Abbey) as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his secretary Woodie, in this new MASTERPIECE Mystery! series inspired by true events. The series premieres Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 8/7c.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

If you find doc creepy, listen to the link and you'll get over it! He's adorable as Kipper the Dog. My all time favorite animated show. So sweet. My son still loves it and he's almost 16! This is one of his favorite episodes.

Kipper at the beach

• Alisande
    8 years ago

Another old thread. I was startled to find my dog, Angel, on my screen this morning!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

I don't have a picture in front of me of the dog on the Doc's show but at the time I thought he looked like a rough coated Jack Russell terrier. I too like the show but don't think I can get it right now, have not seen it for some time.

Sue

• socks
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but aren't there two dogs on Doc Martin? One which pestered him when he first arrived, and then a small one later (his aunt's?).

• nanny98
    8 years ago

How did I miss this thread those years ago? Doc Martin is one of my favorite shows and I see that I have missed some seasons. Thank you for 'catching me up"! Doc Martin has really an astonishing thing for me to see, in that it comes so close to describing some of the quirks that my DH drives me crazy with. And, this is after being married for 60 years. When I watch Louisa's reaction to those puzzling and almost unforgivable actions... I feel her pain. DH watches this program too, but it seems to make him uncomfortable, Well, it IS exaggerated, but so similar and laughable. Like, he just doesn't 'get it'. It truly is an interesting character study and we have to laugh at it... but it hurts a little bit, too.

• mare_wbpa
    8 years ago

I agree with socks. I also think there were two dogs. I love this show. I think DocFan is on the money with her assessment that Martin is a product of his parents' attitude toward and treatment of him. Those people were absolutely toxic. I hope there is another season.

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

I love Doc Martin. I just wish he smiled more, especially around the baby. In the first season he did smile more. I'm glad there is another season coming.

• llazy1
    7 years ago

When "Doc" yells at the dog on the show they don't have the animal on the spot so he's not actually being yelled at.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    7 years ago

I've been binge watching this show on Netflix and love it. Interesting to learn about the actor and the canines.

• pekemom
    7 years ago

It's funny...when I first saw the show I didn't like his gruff persona or the way he didn't want the dog around.....then I saw an interview with the actor, he was warm and loved animals...he was just playing a part...once I realized it was only a role I understood how well he played it. Now I enjoy the show.

• sjerin
    7 years ago

llazy1, I was wondering about that! I caught up on Season 6 and was cringing for the dog, even though I knew he was well-trained. Somehow it hadn't occurred to me that the dog might not even be there; most anything is possible and well-done in film today. Anyone know when Season 7 will be available?

• User
    7 years ago

• Mel McCarty
    6 years ago

Your dog appears it could be Deerhound x Afghan. You could have a DNA test to find out for sure.

• Alisande
    6 years ago

Angel died before I posted this thread over five years ago. She had all the personality characteristics of a Briard, plus we had that confirmation from the Briard breeder, so to me that's what she was. She was such a great dog!

• teddybear_2009
    6 years ago

Just ordered Vision TV to my Bill so I can enjoy this wonderful program.

• Laura Vh
    5 years ago

I think it is catalan sheepdog

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    5 years ago

If you have Netflix you may find Martin Clunes: A Man and His Dogs interesting.

I have not carefully read all comments above so this may be a duplicate suggestion.

• Alisande
    5 years ago

Thanks, Albert. I don't have Netflix anymore, but I was thinking of subscribing for a limited time to watch a few of the shows I'm curious about. If I do, I'll check it out.