Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
17 markets will get a new Digi-Net

Posted by cynic (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 15:43

Broadcast TV viewers will have a new option coming. Fox Television Stations and Weigel Broadcasting are partnering on "Movies!", a film-themed subchannel launching in 17 Fox-owned stations' markets this spring. Their aim is "to create a new destination for movie fans that is fan-friendly and available for free via over-the-air television, and in many cases via local cable carriage," according to a statement.

The network will be available on Fox subchannels in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Tampa, Minneapolis, Orlando, Austin, Memphis and Ocala market areas. The films will air 24 hours a day and will appear in a 16 by 9 format.

Around here, the Fox channels have made no real use of the D2 spectrum available. To me that's surprising. It's the PBS and one other locally owned channel that's made a lot of use of it and the Gannett owned station has set up a weather subchannel. I guess Pax did use a few too. For some reason the other nets don't want to get into it yet.

AFAIC, getting more free station options, besides the holy rollers and the infomercials is a good thing. I'm not sure that the caliber of the movies will be much but have to wait and see. "Stay tuned" I guess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 17 markets will get a new Digi-Net

"Holy roller" ...

... is that anything like, a "hair roller"?

o j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here