Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whew!What a relief to learn this

Posted by OklaMoni (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 15:25

Whew!What a relief to learn this...
Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was? You have to turn around and go back to where you came from to remember?

Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses. Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an �event boundary� in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next.
Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale.

It's not aging, it's the door! Thank goodness for studies like this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whew!What a relief to learn this

Thanks for that info., Moni - I'm removing all the doorways from my house.

o

So happy to hear this -- I've had that experience from time to time since childhood.

o

Kay, just don't forget the doors! LOL

o

Happens to both of us all the time. I however also seem to have it if I blink, or take a drink, or take a breath, oh wait maybe I am just forgetting every thing these days, now what was my name again lol. I swear some days are like that.

That's an interesting hypothesis about the door boundaries. It often does come back if I go back to the other room.

o

I always go back to where I was, then I remember. Don't know if doorways have anything to do with it.

o

This is really interesting. At first I thought -yeah right. But as it says, if you go back to where you were, the reason comes back! I am a believer! LOL
Thanks. I'll pass this on.

o

Going back to where you were thinking about it has visual and/or audio triggers that would remind you. If you're looking at the picture of grandma while you're thinking of a task, it's reasonable to think that they are subconsciously linked and going back could trigger the memory.

But it's a good excuse! Gee boss, I didn't come to work yesterday because I went through a door and forgot about it! :)

o

I read that just the other day! It makes sense. Problem is, sometimes even when I go back to the original room I don't remember!

o

Yes, yes.....what a great relief to find out about this!

o

it happened to my husband tonight so I told him about this, he gave me the are you serious look lol I don't think he's a believer.

o

That proves it! We were not designed to deal with doorways. We're supposed to live in caves, not houses with rooms. ... Just kidding.

o

What a relief to know that! My DD came into the room a couple of days ago and couldn't remember why so I told her to back to where she had come from and come back in again. She remembered. Now I can tell her why it works!

o

Even refrigerator doors work against us!

o

jemdandy and phyllis, thanks for the laugh! It probably happened to cave men when they stepped out into the daylight. But, then, they didn't have so much to think about.

o

My downstairs has an open floor plan. Except for the bathroom, I have no doors to blame. (And when I enter the bathroom, I almost always remember why.)

o

Is that why they are buildibng so many homes now that are open concept? I guess I better move. There are lots of doorways here and I'm often having a senior moment.

o

I had a senior moment this morning. I went out to my local diner for my usual 2 cups of coffee, then headed to the grocery store. I know I needed three things, but I couldn't remember any of them. So I walked around the store, figuring I'd remember when I came to the item on the shelf. Even tho I walked every aisle, I only remembered two things: dog food and fabric softener. I came home without the third thing. I know it wasn't toilet paper or anything "essential". Too many doors- my house, my car, the diner, my car, the grocery store, and back again.

o

I like that explanation. When I forget why I'm in a room I'm so stubborn I refuse to leave it until I remember why I'm there.

I am supposed to have sanded, repaired and repainted a section of wall in our bathroom for the last 3 months. We had a mirror taken off because it needs to be replaced and it left a bit of a mess. Every time I'm in the bathroom I remember, oh Yea, I have to do that. Every time I leave the bathroom I completely forget. Even when I tell myself, I have to remember-I have to remember... I still forget. It will take less than 1/2 hour to do the little job so it isn't like some big onerous chore.

Maybe I'll go and do that right now.

o

Moni, that makes perfect sense and I'll try it next time--if I can remember your tip!

o

Yup! Makes perfect sense to me! Our home is pretty much 'open plan', but there are still doorways, hallways or arches between rooms. I *can* remember the forgotten thing if I return to where I had the thought. (Sometimes that's my main exercise in a given day, shuttling back and forth!)

Now I'm curious about WHY the primitive brain needs a fresh awareness of the new surroundings. Maybe when you exited your cave you needed heightened awareness? Tests might show a heightened alertness.

o

Very interesting!!!! :0)

o

Until those guys talked of "open concept" ... I was going to ask whether you were going to remove the walls, as well.

Your plan seems to work for me.

Sometimes.

(If I remember correctly.)

o j

P.S. to the one who seldom had difficulty remembering what she'd entered the bathroom for ...

... if you forget, it'll probably come back to you ...

... if you wait a couple of minutes.

o j

o

I've waited more than a couple of minutes, now ...

... to hear you guys' replies!

Oh, yeah ... but ... this ain't a bathroom!

So ... I'm o.k. ... I guess.

o j

o

This is the best news I've heard this year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here