Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ok, I'm Impressed With Y'all's Answers on "Spurtle", so what's...

Posted by sylviatexas (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 15:24

can't believe the arcane knowledge a person can find on this forum!

so.

What's the name of a smallish decorative chair (no picture, sorry) from the 1960's, Spanish-looking, with a very narrow back, carved wood, velvet upholstery, usually some shade of avocado?

I looks like the kind of thing that was popular in the late 60's, when everything was Spanish or Mediterranean (sp?), carved, harvest gold or avocado green, crushed velvet, etc.

I saw one at a shop & the owner said she thought she had googled "highback European vintage chair", but I got nowhere with that.

I inherited one, still has the original crushed velvet upholstery, & the only names anyone has come up with so far are "punishment chair" & "dunce chair".

which just ain't right.

crossing my fingers that someone here has an extensve knowledge of interior decorating trivia!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ok, I'm Impressed With Y'all's Answers on "Spurtle", so what'

I can't help you, but some of the posters on the Home Decorating forum are super talented! Try posting this question on that board.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating

o

Here's a site with a slew of 60's chair images - see if you can find it on here:

http://www.compare99.com/compare.html?q=1960-chair&ort=1960-Chair-Sale&adid=iaCkp56TnGdiYKTKxJqkWdDNoGJraZGPppmTnNOI1m6ZlNbViZSalNOf0qWamNM%3D&gclid=CJ-WrumUqrUCFQWxnQodthMA5Q

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro chairs

o

I remember chairs like those being called "salon" or "dressing" chairs. Fashioned after a small, ornate chair that a woman would sit on in her dressing or salon area while visiting with intimate guests. Picture a lady sitting and doing needlepoint on one of those low chairs, near a fireplace.

I tried to google it, but salon chair brought up barber chairs, and dressing or vanity chairs are more like stools?

Dances.

o

You might check Antique Roadshow--they seem to have alot of unusual items, and some not so old.

o

I know what you are talking about, Sylvia, but I didn't know they had any particular name. I remember in the '60's when Spanish decor was very popular around here, and remember those chairs from back then. My friend who has a shop had a couple of them that we got when we cleaned out an old house and I couldn't believe she sold them....but she did. Someone wanted them.

o

I googled narrow backed Spanish chair and found the one in the link... is this what you have?

Here is a link that might be useful: narrow backed spanish chair

o

here's another, I googled skinny chair.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

o

That's it!

the one with the upholstered back, not the beautiful carved back.

wonder what it's name is...

I saw a pair of them at an antique/used furniture store, marked $45 each;
the shop owner said she'd seen them online for $90 apiece, so she priced them at "half-price".

o

I think my friend got $40 apiece for the two she had. I almost fell out!

o

It's a repro of a Charles II style chair.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here