Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Rice - Week 2 February 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 14:47

This is from an internet friend. We love rice and have it at least once a week.

Basic Rice Pilaf

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups long grain rice
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp of ground thyme

Melt the butter with the shallot in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Season with the salt and pepper and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes (This is called sweating).

Add the rice and stir until coated with the butter. Coating it with the butter will prevent the rice from sticking. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the rice until it turns slightly brown (about 5 minutes). Keep stirring to prevent burning.

Add the broth, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a simmer over low heat, cover, and cook until all the broth has been absorbed by the rice and the rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let set for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.

Variations:
Cut up 2 or 3 sausages into 1/4 inch rounds and saute them before you sweat the shallots. They will provide some fat so you may want to cut back on the butter a little. Instead of sausage links, you could use broken up Italian, Andouille or even breakfast sausage. Ham would work.

Cut up 1/2 pound of white or dark chicken meat and saute before the shallots.

Add 1/2 pound of sliced mushrooms with the shallots.

Substitute some of the chicken broth with tomato juice or sauce. Add 1/2 pound of shrimp to the pot the last 3 or 4 minutes of that cooking time. Add some cayenne and you have jambalaya.

Throw in a handful of frozen peas in the rice before putting the lid on.

You can change the spices around.. Use rosemary or sage instead of the thyme.

You can add even more liquid so that it is a little sloppier at the end.

Hint: Make enough of this that you can have two meals. This will heat up just fine in a pot or microwave.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 17:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Rice - Week 2 February 2013

Chili Rice

4 cups cooked white rice
4 oz green chilies
2 cups grated colby
1 can cream of chicken soup(or 2 cups white sauce)

Mix together and serve hot!

o

I love this and taken to potluck and everyone likes it as well.

Sausage and rice casserole

1 12oz roll Jimmy Dean sage sausage
1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice (Fast Cook Recipe)
1 12 oz bag PictSweet Seasoning Blend (onions, celery, peppers)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese (divided)

Directions
Prepare rice as directed on box (do not add butter or oil). While simmering, brown pork sausage with frozen vegetables (or use 1 c. each fresh chopped onion and green pepper & 1/4 c. celery). Drain when sausage is no longer pink and veggies are softened. Combine sausage mixture with soup, 3/4 c. shredded cheese and rice. Spread in 9X13 glass pan and top with remaining 1/4 c. shredded cheese. Bake 30 min at 350 (or 15 min in convection oven)

o

Jasdip p0sted this recipe and it's definitely a keeper. It's just delici0us and it's 0n the menu f0r this week. I didn't have nuts the first time I made it, s0 I 0mitted them. I'm having it with Glenda's Ir0ndale c0rnbread--yum! A great KT meal!!!

WILD RICE SOUP

6 tablespoons margarine or butter
2-3 tablespoons minced onion
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice
1/2 cup finely grated carrots
1 cup minced ham or leftover cooked chicken
3 tablespoons chopped slivered almonds (you can put them in the soup OR toast and top as a garnish)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half and half
2 tablespoons dry sherry

In large saucepan, melt margarine; saute onion until tender. Blend in flour; gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute.

Stir in rice, carrots, ham, almonds and salt; simmer about 5 minutes. Blend in half and half and sherry; heat to serving temperature. Garnish with snipped parsley or chives.
Amount: 6 cups.

o

Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat!

Sorry! That popped I to my mind when I read your subject line.
Now I can't get it out! Maybe more recipes will help...

o

Pineapple Fried Rice II
Allrecipes.com

"Exotic flavors blend together to create this crowd-pleasing favorite. Contains pineapple, ham, peas, green onion and eggs. "

Original Recipe Yield 4 servings
Ingredients

1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups water
2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 green onions, thinly sliced including tops
1 cup diced ham
1/2 cup peas
1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup soy sauce

Directions

Bring the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Spread cooked rice out on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate until cooled, about 20 minutes.

Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the green onions, ham, and peas in the hot oil until onions have softened, about 2 minutes. Stir the pineapple chunks into the wok; cook until pineapple begins to darken, about 2 minute. Push ingredients to the side of the wok, and pour beaten egg in the center. Cook until egg begins to set, about 30 seconds. Stir together all contents of the wok.

Mix the cooled rice, sugar, salt, white pepper, and garlic powder into the wok; stir constantly to keep from sticking. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the rice with the soy sauce, and stir to combine

o

First a tip: When I make rice, I make at least three times the am0unt I need. Then I freeze it in 0ne cup p0rti0ns and have it 0n hand t0 use in the future. Sure saves me time.

C0c0nut Rice

1 (14 0z.) can c0c0nut milk (I use Thai brand)
1/4 c. water
1 tsp. sugar
1 pinch salt
1-1/2 c. unc00ked rice (we like basmati)

In a saucepan, c0mbine milk, water, sugar and salt. Stir until sugar is melted. Stir in rice. Bring t0 a b0il 0ver medium heat. C0ver, reduce heat and simmer 18 t0 20 minutes, until rice is tender.

o

This is a recipe my sister-in-law gave me many years ago.

Stuffing for Cornish Hens

2 T chopped onion
1/3 cup uncooked rice
3 T margarine
1 cup water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 t lemon juice
1/2 t salt
1 3-oz can chopped mushrooms, drained

In saucepan, cook onions and rice in butter 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, bouillon, lemon juice, and salt. Bring mixture to boiling, stirring to dissolve boullion. Reduce heat; cover and cook slowly for 20-25 minutes or till liquid is absorbed and rice is fluffy. Stir in mushrooms. Lightly stuff two Cornish hens. Bake per directions on wrapping around hens.

o

Creole Okra & Tomatoes

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil 1/2 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper 1 cup uncooked Rice 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth 1 can (18.75 oz.) whole tomatoes, drained (1/2 cup liquid reserved) 1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen sliced okra 1-2 tsp. hot pepper sauce 1/2 tsp. pepper 1 tomato, cut into wedges

Preparation:
Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper; cook and stir until tender-crisp. Add rice, chicken broth, tomatoes, 1/2 cup reserved liquid, okra, hot pepper sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in tomato wedges. Serve warm.

edit to say you can add cooked smoked sausage to this when it's done, or other cooked meats if you want to make it more of a main dish.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 15:10

o

Dixie Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
1 can (1 lb.) sweet potatoes and syrup 2 cups cooked Rice 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice 3 thin orange slices, quartered 1/3 cup broken pecans (leave some whole) 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

Preparation:
Cut sweet potatoes into finger-size pieces. Mix with rice in prepared 1.5-quart oven dish. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. Top with orange slices and pecans. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Pour butter on top. Bake in 400F oven for 40 minutes or until browned on top. Add water if mixture cooks dry.

Serves 6

o

Bayou Country Creole Shrimp

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil 1 medium onion, sliced 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped 2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce 1/2 bay leaf 7 oz. uncooked, cleaned shrimp, frozen or thawed 1/2 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. black pepper 2-1/2 cups cooked Rice, Cayenne pepper to taste

Preparation:
Heat oil in 2-quart saucepan. Add onions and green pepper. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add tomato sauce, bay leaf, shrimp, salt and black pepper; simmer 15 minutes. Add rice and heat through. Add cayenne pepper to taste. Garnish with thin slices of green pepper. Serve immediately.
*for a twist you can add crumbled cooked bacon on top.
Serves 4

o

Cabbage&Rice casserole

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked Rice 1 Tbsp. salt 2 cups tomatoes and liquid 2 cups cabbage, coarsely cut 1/4 cup red and green bell peppers, finely diced 1 cup ground pork or beef, browned slightly 1/4 cup onion, finely diced 1/4 cup vinegar 1/2 cup brown sugar 2 Tbsp. sugar 4 slices bacon, coarsely diced and browned slightly 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings 1 can (4 oz.) tomato sauce

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in 3- or 4-quart casserole dish. Bake at 300F for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, and cabbage is done.

o

last for now! but one of my faves and a comfort food. Porcupines!!

Rice Porcupines

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef 1/2 cup uncooked Medium Grain Rice 1 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. pepper Dash of chili powder 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced 2-1/2 cups tomato juice, 1 egg.

Preparation:
Mix ground beef and uncooked rice, egg, salt and pepper together. Add dash of chili powder and mix well. Form into small balls, about 1.5 inches in diameter. Place in covered baking dish. In skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil. Saute onion and green pepper in oil. Pour onion, green pepper and tomato juice over the balls and place in 350F oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours. They're done when the visible rice is tender. Serve with additional tomato sauce if desired.

A soft hot crusty loaf of French bread to sop up the sauce is an essential.

some people use spaghetti sauce instead of tomato juice, that's fine anything tomato based would work.

o

Raven, l0ve p0rcupines!

This recipe g0t the "Harry's Seal 0f Appr0val".

C0c0nut Curry Chicken (C00ks.c0m)

1-1/2 c. white rice
3-1/3 c. water

Sauce:
1 Tbsp. 0live 0il
2 tsp. curry p0wder
13.5 0z. can c0c0nut milk (shake the can well)

4 skinless, b0neless chicken breast strips (appr0x. 2 lb.)
2 tsp. Chinese 5-spice p0wder
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. 0live 0il

In a medium saucepan, bring salted water t0 a b0il. Add rice, bring t0 a simmer, c0ver and c00k 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp. 0live 0il 0ver medium heat. Stir in curry p0wder and c00k 1 minute. Add c0c0nut milk and c00k until reduced by half--ab0ut 7 minutes.

T0ss t0gether the chicken, five-spice and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. In a large, heavy skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. 0live 0il 0ver medium-high heat until shimmering. Increase heat t0 high and stir-fry chickken until just c00ked thr0ugh, ab0ut 6 minutes. Reduce heat t0 medium and stir in the c0c0nut curry sauce. Serve with rice. Makes 4-6 servings.

o

Here is one I just got today so have not tried it. But, it sounds so good, I could not wait to share.

Chili’s Pueblo Rice

2 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 3/4 cups diced celery
1 1/4 cups diced carrot
1 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1 cup pineapple juice
1 1/2 cubes of vegetable stock (base) - dissolved in 1 cup of hot water
3 cups of water
1 cup of diced red and green (mixed) bell peppers
3 cups rice

Saute the veggies in the oil and butter until cooked.

Add seasoning salt, pineapple juice, vegetable stock, and water, and bring to a simmer.

Add bell pepper and rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook (covered) - approx. 15 minutes.

Remove from heat, and let stand until rice is tender.

o

We're having this f0r dinner. Meant t0 have it last night, but talked 0n the ph0ne way t00 l0ng. Guess y0u can tell I just c0pied and pasted :-)

MEXICAN SOUR CREAM RICE (And a Cookie for Dessert)

1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring the rice and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
In the pot with the cooked rice, mix the sour cream, green chile peppers, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, corn, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper; pour into a prepared casserole, top with remaining cheese and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is barely brown.

o

This is not rice but it just came out in my diabetes self help for Valentines day and it sounds great and some one may want to try it for tomorrow.

Chocolate mocha pudding

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour

1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup double-strength coffee (coffee made with twice as much instant granules or ground beans as usual)
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Fresh raspberries or strawberries for garnish (optional)

Place the chocolate in a 2-quart, microwave-safe glass bowl and microwave at Medium (50% power) for 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk the milk and coffee into the chocolate. In separate bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar, and salt; whisk this mixture into the milk mixture. Microwave the entire batter at High for 4 minutes. Whisk the mixture and continue cooking at High for 4 to 6 more minutes, whisking each minute until the pudding thickens. Pour the pudding into eight dessert cups and refrigerate for at least one hour. Before serving, top with a few raspberries or strawberries for garnish.

Yield: about 4 cups
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Nutrition Facts

Per Serving:
Calories: 142
Carbohydrate: 28 g
Protein: 3 g
Fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Sodium: 77 mg
Fiber: <1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 fruit
Carbohydrate choices: 2

o

This one contains two of my best things to eat - rice and avocado - together they are wonderful.

Navajo Avocado Rice

Recipe By: Houston Chronicle
Serving Size : 6

1 tablespoon each: butter or margarine and olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup regular uncooked rice
1/4 teaspoon each: salt, dried oregano, ground cumin, and turmeric
1 14.5-oz can chicken broth
1 avocado

Place butter and oil in 2-quart pan over medium heat. When butter is melted, add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender. Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until rice looks milky and opaque. Add salt, oregano, cumin, turmeric and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. Peel and pit avocado; dice. Fluff up rice with fork; add avocado and toss gently. Turn off heat; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

o

Don't make this very often, but occasionally want a taste of curry riced.

Curried Rice - from Madame Benoit - The New and Complete Encyclopedia of Cooking - Deluxe Edition - 1975

Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a pan. Add 1 medium, thinly sliced onion and 1 clove minced garlic. Cover and simer for about 10 minutes to soften the onion. Add 1 tablespoon curry powder and cook for about 1 minute. Add 1 cup raw rice and stir into the curried butter mixture. Add 2 cups of consommé* and salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes.

*Or whatever flavor stock you like - beef, chicken, turkey, vegetable.

o

Since Boudin is one of my all time fave rice foods I thought this timely article from the Louisiana tourism bureau would be nice here.
Culinary Trail Signature Dish: Boudin

Play Video
I hope this works the video is a must see! Just in case it doesn't play you can find it at the bottom of the page here
Louisiana Culinary Trails, Restuarants, Chef John Besh : Louisiana Official Travel and Tourism Information
under Boudin trails

Appetite for Boudin

I should of course provide a link to a recipe should anyone want to try making it. I personally prefer it with out liver, if you do make it be sure to cook the liver separately, we used to use cooked and ground chicken gizzards instead.
Boudin recipe, pork and rice Cajun sausage

Oh man now I really want some Boudin!!
I have eaten boudin at most of the places on that video LOL

o

Here is an oldie, but goodie.

Rice Chantilly

3 cups cooked rice
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Dash of cayenne
1/2 cup cream, whipped
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Season rice with 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cayenne. Spoon rice into s greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Add remalning salt and cheese to the whipped cream. Spread over top of the rice. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Makes 6 servings.

Source: Pittsburgh Post Gazette newspaper April 6, 1967

o

This is Patti's recipe and it's terrific. One of hubby's favourites.

Spanish Rice (Slow-cooker)

1 lb lean hamburger
2 medium onions, chopped
28-oz can tomatoes
8-oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 cup rice

Brown hamburger and combine with remaining ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on Low 5-6 hours.

o
RE:: Recipes for Rice - Week 2 February 2013

This is the only rice pudding I make. I do make changes though. I use 1/2 cup half-and-half and add an extra 1/2 cup milk. I also omit the egg yolks. No reason why, I've just never added them. I skip the butter too. :)

3/4 cup short grain rice
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
pinch salt
4 cups milk
1 cup half and half
nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cinnamon

Combine rice and boiling water in medium saucepan. Cover and simmer 15 minutes until rice is absorbed.

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1 cup of the milk. Stir until smooth. Add remaining milk and cream to rice in saucepan. Combine well. Add nutmeg and raisins.

Bring to a boil, stirring steadily. Cover and reduce heat to the barest simmer. Cook 1 1/2 hours or until mixture is creamy, stirring occasionally. (This is where I stop)

Beat egg yolks. Remove pudding from heat. Whisk a little pudding into yolks, then add this to the rest of the pudding.
Cook 1 minute and remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter. Transfer to individual bowls and top with cinnamon.

o

Fruit and Nut Rice Pilaf

2 T. Butter
1 med. onion, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1/2 C. chicken broth
7 oz. dried fruit bits
1 package each of microwave long grain and wild rice
1 C. chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
1/4 C. parsley
1/4 tsp. pepper

Melt butter over medium heat in large skillet.
Saute onion and celery about 5 minutes or until tender.
Add the broth and fruit and bring to a boil
Cover, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes or until fruit is softened.
Stir in rice and cook, stirring often. Cook 4 minutes or until rice is thoroughly heated. Stir in parsley, nuts and pepper.

o

Mexican Rice from America’s Test Kitchen

Because the spiciness of jalapeños varies from chili to chili, we try to control the heat by removing the ribs and seeds (the source of most of the heat) from those chills that are cooked in the rice. Use an oven safe pot about 12 inches in diameter so that the rice cooks evenly and in the time indicated. The pot’s depth is less important than its diameter; we’ve successfully used both a straight-sided sauté pan and a Dutch oven. Whichever type of pot you use, it should have a tight-fitting, oven safe lid. Vegetable broth can be substituted for chicken broth.

2 medium tomato, ripe tomatoes (about 12 ounces) cored and quartered
1 medium onion, preferably white, peeled, trimmed of root end,and quartered
3 medium jalapeno peppers
2 cups long grain white rice
1/3 cup canola oil
4 clove of garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1/2 cup cilantro, fresh, minced
1 lime, cut into wedges for serving

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Process tomatoes and onion in food processor until smooth and thoroughly pureed, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl if necessary. Transfer mixture to liquid measuring cup; you should have 2 cups (if necessary, spoon off excess so that volume equals 2 cups). Remove ribs and seeds from 2 jalapeños and discard; mince flesh and set aside. Mince remaining jalapeño, including ribs and seeds; set aside.

Place rice in large fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear, about 1 1/2 minutes. Shake rice vigorously in strainer to remove all excess water.

Heat oil in heavy-bottomed ovensafe 12-inch straight-sided sauté pan or Dutch oven with tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat, 1 to 2 minutes. Drop 3 or 4 grains rice in oil; if grains sizzle, oil is ready. Add rice and fry, stirring frequently, until rice is light golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and seeded minced jalapeños; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in pureed tomatoes and onions, chicken broth, tomato paste, and salt; increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Cover pan and transfer to oven; bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring well after 15 minutes.

Stir in cilantro and reserved minced jalapeño with seeds to taste. Serve immediately, passing lime wedges separately. Serves 6-8 as a side dish

o

W0w, Raven. B0udin s0unds w0nderful. I've seen it referred t0, but didn't kn0w what it was. I need a r0ad trip!! Thanks f0r the less0n.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here