Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Microwave - Week 3 February 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 14:42

I have some recipes for using the microwave that we believe are good, so thought we could share recipes for the microwave this week.

Here is a candy recipe that I have been making for years - although I don't make it too often since we could eat it all in one day.

FORT WORTH PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

2 sticks butter (real butter)
2 cups chocolate chips
16-oz jar crunchy or extra crunchy peanut butter (I use JIF)
1 lb. box powdered sugar

Put butter and chocolate chips in a large glass bowl and place in microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minute; then stir mixture well. If chips are not totally melted return to microwave and run on high for another 30 seconds. Remove and stir well. Put the peanut butter in the chocolate mix and stir well. Add box of powdered sugar and mix thoroughly. It gets tougher to stir once you have added powdered sugar so need some muscle. When thoroughly mixed, spray a 9 x 13 pan with Pam (or equivalent) or you can butter the pan well. Put fudge in the pan and spread out evenly. Place in refrigerator overnight. When ready to cut fudge into squares, remove from refrigerator for 30 minutes or so before cutting.

This is so easy and so very good. It is quick and easy for the busy holidays.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Microwave - Week 3 February 2013

Fill mug with water. Add a slice of lemon and a teabag. Push 'beverage ' button. Remove when microwave makes an abnoxious noise and enjoy!

I may be exaggerating, but not by much!

o

Microwave Carmel Corn

Pop 1 cup unpopped pop corn (don't salt)

Bring to boil 5 mim on high
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 cup Dark corn syrup

After boiling time is done add
1 tsp baking soda.

Pour mixture over popcorn and stir.

put in Microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes take out and stir every minute.

Pour on cookie sheets and stir as it cools.

Jackie's Hints
I used a wooden spoon sprayed with a little pam to stir the carmel corn.

o

SINGLE SERVE 3-2-1 CAKE MIX

1box angel food cake mix

1box any flavor cake mix

Mix: In a gallon-size, self-sealing food-storage bag, mix the dry ingredients from the two cake mixes. Seal bag (or transfer to other airtight container) and store in pantry up to 3 months, using as needed. Makes about 6 cups mix, which will make 48 small cakes.

Cake: For each individual cake serving, measure 3 tablespoons of the mix into a small microwave-safe container, such as a mug or bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons water. Microwave on High (100 percent power) for 1 minute. If desired, top each cake with whipped topping or a sprinkling of powdered sugar.

PER CAKE: Calories 80 (15% fat), Fat 1.3 g,

No cholesterol, Sodium 114 mg,

No fiber, Carbohydrates 16 g, Protein 1 g

o

when you need a cornbread fix fast!
microwave 3 minute cornbread
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup milk
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup white flour
½ cup corn meal
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

Mix everything with a whisk and pour into a greased microwave safe baking dish. I used a 6½ x 6½ x 2 baking dish. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. If your microwave doesn't have a carousel, then manually rotate the dish half way through the cooking cycle.
*use cooking spray in baking dish.

o

this is an absolute must see link for some great make in a mug recipes.
I have this one saved.

Here is a link that might be useful: snacks in a mug

o

this is one I will be trying tomorrow.
microwave potato chips.

Here is a link that might be useful: potato chips

o

This may be in the site raven posted above, but it is really good.
Single serving chocolate mug cake

2 T flour
1 1/2 T. sugar
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1T unsweetened cocoa
pinch of salt
2 T milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. oil

Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased ramekin. . Microwave on full power for one minute.
I liked the texture of this better than the 3-2-1 cake.

o

Raven let me know if the microwaved potato chips work for you.
I tried them that way, and neither of us liked them at all.

This is my homemade mayonnaise. It can be made in the microwave or on the stove.

1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp dry mustard
3 tbsp flour
2 eggs
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup water
salt

Combine and heat in microwave, stirring occasionally. When cool, add 1 tbsp butter. This is terrific on sandwiches, in coleslaw, egg salads, etc. We love this stuff.

o

This is a variation of a recipe for microwave béchamel given by Barbara Kafka in her book, "Microwave Gourmet Cooking."

BÉCHAMEL SAUCE

Add two tablespoons of butter or margarine to an oven proof glass casserole bowl. Cover with a paper towel, and microwave on high for one minute. Add two tablespoons of flour, mix with the butter or margarine and heat, covered, on high in the microwave for 1-1 1/2 minutes.

Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock and 1/2 cup of 2% milk. Stir to break up lumps and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Check after two minutes to see if it needs to be stirred. If so, stir and heat for another 2 minutes.

Add another half cup of milk and heat on high for 4 minutes. After this time the béchamel should be about as thick as heavy cream. If too thick, adjust with chicken broth, and cook until creamy, usually about 2-3 minutes. If too thin cook for another 4 minutes. If still too thin, add two tablespoons of flour dissolved in 1/3 cup of chicken stock. Cook another 4 minutes until creamy. After making this sauce a few times, it becomes easier to judge exactly how much liquid is necessary to obtain the consistency desired.

At this point, the béchamel can be seasoned in a number of ways. Add salt to taste, and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper. Alternatively, add 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon of white pepper. (Careful, the white pepper has a strong flavor) Cover the béchamel and set aside. If it thickens too much, add milk, water or chicken stock until it is the consistency of a heavy cream.

o

Beef with Broccoli

Power Level: HIGH
Cooking Time: 17 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

1 lb. boneless steak, cut into thin strips
1 Tbsp. oil
4 c. broccoli flowerets
1 clove minced garlic
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 Tbsp. sherry
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
Toasted sesame seeds

In oblong baking dish, heat oil 2 minutes on HIGH.

Stir in beef, garlic, and ginger; Heat an addtional 4 minutes, stirring twice.

Add broccoli and heat, covered, 6 minutes, or until broccoli is tender crisp, stirring once.

Stir in cornstarch, blended with broth, sherry, and soy sauce; heat 3-4 minutes until sauce is thickened, stirring once. Top with sesame seeds.

o

How to Cook Steel Cut Oats in the Microwave Oven

1 part steel cut oats
4 parts water
pinch of salt for every 1/2-cup of oats

A large, microwave safe bowl that is at least 4 times larger in volume than the amount of water, e.g. if cooking 1 cup of oats with 4 cups of water, you will need almost a gallon-size bowl

Stir together oats, water and salt in large microwave-safe bowl. Loosely cover the bowl with a microwave-safe plate.

Microwave on high for a total of 10 minutes. After 5 minutes, stop and stir the oats. Return to microwave and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.

o

thanks raven I aved the quiche recipe

o

Here's my version of Microwave Spinach Quiche. It's certainly not a true version of Quiche. I improvised a bit and only made it twice. I love it both times.

If you decide to try this recipe, please make let me know what you think of it.

Please note that this recipe is for 1 serving only.

photo Microwave_Spinach_Quiche-NTT791x1024_zpsfee3647e.jpg

Click on the recipe, it will take you to its origin where you can download the jpg file for better view. Once you're there, you can choose to download unde the "options" selection.

o

Beer Onion Bread

1 tbsp. yellow corn meal
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 env. dry onion soup mix (from 2.5 oz. box)
3 tbsp. sugar
1 can (12 oz.) beer
1 tbsp. butter

Lightly coat a microwave safe loaf pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch) with vegetable cooking spray. Sprinkle cornmeal over the sides and bottom of the pan. In a bowl, mix the flours, 1/4 cup of the soup mix, the sugar and baking powder. Add beer and stir with a wooden spoon until blended. Spread batter in prepared pan. Dot the top with butter and sprinkle remaining soup mix over the top. Place pan in microwave on an inverted saucer. Microwave uncovered on medium 9-12 minutes. Rotate pan twice. Cook until pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Moist spots may remain on the surface. Place pan directly on flat, heat proof surface and let stand 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan.

o

awesome presentation Ntt! looks wonderful.

o

Cocoa Hot Fudge Sauce

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
4 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar, cocoa and cream. Cook on high 2-3 minutes, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.

Stir in butter and cook on high 2-4 minutes more, watching closely and stirring every 30 seconds or so, until mixture thickens. Stir in vanilla and a pinch of salt.

o

Thanks Ravencajun. I had it again tonight. I hope others will like it too. I like the french or bolillo bread consistency rather than the traditional crust.

In case anyone wondered, the meat on the photo of the recipe was smoked turkey. The bread I used was bolillo bread and the cheese was quesadilla cheese.

The ingredient quantities are approximate. I don't normally measure the ingredients. I just know how much to add it. This recipe is quite forgiving. For example, when I made it today, I ran out of cream of mushroom. So, I used evaporate milk instead. It took a bit longer to cook in the microwave but eventually, the mixture solidified and was cooked through. You can use milk or even condensed cream of chicken.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here