lazypup

a very special person

lazypup
11 years ago

LAZYPUP + FROG (RICHARD RINARD) R.I.P. 4-25-1947 TO 2-12-2013

Comments (150)

• drewsmaga
    11 years ago

RIP Richard. I will miss you. I LOVED your postings, when you explained things to us, and when you shared Frog and Nephew. Condolences to you, Jan -- you had a very special person in your life. . . . .

• brightonborn
    11 years ago

Oh this is such sad news...Sorry for your loss Jan.

• Related Discussions

Aptenia Cordifolia Ice Plant not flowering...ever!

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you, Steve & Dottie, for your responses. Steve, since the plant is making buds, I do suspect the soil may be somehow choking off the root system. However, as a ground cover, this plant is supposed to be rather tolerant. I thought I was pampering it by using a cactus mix with lots of perlite and mixing that with Miracle-Gro for houseplants. I've checked the soil and it is never hard when it's dry. I am going to change the soil to something else...I just don't know what yet. With the water, I do notice the plant gets a little limp midweek, so I water lightly from below. On Saturdays, I put the pot in the sink and water from the top and let it sit in a little water to drink for about 15 minutes, then I hold the pot diagonally to let the water run off and return the plant to its tray. Dottie, yes, Red Apple is another name for this plant, as is Baby Sun Rose. I don't think the plant is healthy at all because the buds have failed to bloom all summer long. My previous plant DID bloom all year on my window sill. I will certainly follow your and Steve's advice and change the soil. I've attached a picture of MY PREVIOUS PLANT, which I gave away to someone who fell in love with it...Now I wish I had taken the time to prepare 1/2 pot for her so I could at least still have the other half...it was doing so well. Thanks again for your responses...All the very best to you.
    ...See More

Ann T. is the sweetest person!

Q

Comments (1)
    Ann is great, no doubt about it. Her photography is second to none and her baking skills are lengendary! Hearing that she is giving of her time and knowledge is not a surprise. What a great place we have here at the CF, eh? Duane
    ...See More

Sweet dog story, get your kleenex

Q

Comments (6)
    Mark sounds like a sweet caring man. Hope you are doing okay... I still cry over my last dog and he's been gone almost 2 years now. Animals sure do wriggle their way into our hearts, don't they?
    ...See More

Granlan

Q

Comments (30)
    Oh, no. I haven't been to FB in awhile and had no idea. I will miss her. Such a lovely lady. She used to work for the American Quarter Horse Association, and when I had questions about one of my horses, she was very quick to get me some help via her cousin who still works there. I know I could have contacted the association myself but before I could, Granlan got the answers for me. I helped her awhile back with one of her cats, sent meds for it. I am so very sorry to read about this.
    ...See More
  • ronf_gw
    11 years ago

I'm so very sorry.

Ron

• golfergrrl
    11 years ago

I've been watching for an obituary.
    Any info?

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

I too looked for an obituary and could not find it. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Could someone please post where to find it?

Sue

• lindaohnowga
    11 years ago

If anyone finds a link to the obituary, please post it. I've had no luck hunting either.

Jan, could you give us a link to the funeral home? Surely they would have an obit.

• the_catalyst
    11 years ago

when & if it ever gets there, the link for obits is below. several options to search but despite pup being gone for several days, and us being told it should be there today...alas, it's not.

maybe pup is having fun with everyone? and i bet i'm not the only one thinking/wondering about this. :/

Here is a link that might be useful: news of his demise greatly exaggerated?

This post was edited by the_catalyst on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 17:59

• golfergrrl
    11 years ago

OK, I'll say it. Jan comes on 5 minutes after he dies to his a/c
    and announces in CAPS that he's passed away.
    She checks in periodically with updates. LP mentioned
    a lot of illnesses, bit I don't remember COPD or severe
    breathing problems... again in CAPS.
    Now, no obit.
    I think LP's doing his thing again... and thought so from the
    first post.
    ED. to add I'll apologize for my cynicism when I see the obit.

This post was edited by lindakathy on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 17:42

• renee_b
    11 years ago

I agree with you Lindakathy 100%. I felt the same from the very first post and the thing that gave me that feeling was that it was all in CAPS. I looked for an obit all week. Jan used Lazypups username, didn;t she have one of her own? Normally the OP would come back and thank the posters for their kind words, thoughts and well wishes. We haven't seen this, only 2 updates. After doing some Internet research, there is a Richard A. Rinard that lives(d) in Westfield, MA. That county is Hampden County. Checking the Register of Deeds there is a Richard A. Rinard that has a few filings with that county. You can see the actual documents. One deed is showing being married. These deeds were back in early 90's. So, there really is a Richard Rinard there in MA, but did he really die? I hope that I am wrong, that he is playing with the board again. I've always enjoyed his posts with Frog from the past. If there is an obit, then I will apologize also.

• Chi
    11 years ago

I did think it was unusual for Jan to post on his account so quickly after his death. You don't see that very often but everyone is different so who knows...

• sjerin
    11 years ago

He did mention a time or two he had been living with Copd for quite awhile.

• User
    11 years ago

I never had a obit from my DH, some people don't do it.

• the_catalyst
    11 years ago

he lived in chicopee ma.

according to the most recent update per 'jan', obit was to be published today.

This post was edited by the_catalyst on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 19:23

• Pieonear
    11 years ago

Something doesn't feel right with this story but that's just mho.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Jan never had an account here, likely he did as most here would do and leave the info for informing his friends and contacts and leave his log in info, same happened a while back where the son came on to tell us of his mothers passing and used her log in.
    Pup mentioned often he really did not have family and in her post Jan said he requested no services so no obit would not be unusual. I have found several of his sites with his pictures and info it is out there he always had his name on all of his pictures he posted.
    I have a very good friend that has pretty much no family he has several serious medical conditions he has asked me and another friend to do the same thing, log in to his blog and website and let people know and also the forums we are on. He has an automated notification to me if he does not log into his account in a certain number of days, we do keep touch often. Should this happen I will most certainly do this for him as I am sure a good friend like Jan would do.
    Believe what you will, what would it take exactly to believe?
    Would an obit do it? Those can surely be faked, not sure what or why proof is needed.
    I am not that suspicious and I unfortunately do believe he has gone on RIP.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

Agree, ravencajun!

Sorry so many were critical of him. Said that and saying again.

• mamatoad
    11 years ago

Well, I guess my old mind just simply doesn't work that way. It never even occurred to me that this could be some sort of scheme! Not everyone publishes obituaries. especially if they don't have any living relatives.

• abbey_cny
    11 years ago

I normally lurk but am delurking for this. I have a dear friend whose brother died about a year ago. My friend lives out of state from me, so I looked for the obituary on line. Have never been able to find it. I know he had one, but it has just never shown up anywhere where I can find it. Perhaps depending on the newspaper it is in they just don't show up on line.
    My condolences to Jan, Frog, and nephew. I enjoyed all of Richard's posts on this forum and elsewhere.

Abbey

• Tally
    11 years ago

Oh dear. How very sad.

I'm so surprised that she didn't post this at the Plumbing Forum.

Surely she must have known it was one of his favorites.

This post was edited by tally on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 10:30

• patti43
    11 years ago

What did I miss? I th0ught he lived in Y0ungst0wn, 0H. Is his faceb00k updated? It wasn't the 0ther day.

• alisande
    11 years ago

Am I the only one who remembers him saying he had a child? A daughter, I think. It sounded like they didn't have much of a relationship.

I suppose my memory could be faulty....

• Chi
    11 years ago

Some people don't have obituaries, sure, but the OP specifically said there would be one and told us where it would be and when. So when it didn't show up, people are starting to question it a little. Unfortunately it is hard to trust everything that is said, and giving people the benefit of the doubt has ended up costing generous KTers actual money. There have been instances of fake deaths at the KT, though the one I know of was a long time ago and it involved money, which isn't this case of course. Either way, it is a very sad situation.

• matti5
    11 years ago

I too thought Lazypup mentioned a daughter, but not having a close relationship with her.

I do remember him on occasion talking about having COPD and being hospitalized last year for a week or so.

• golfergrrl
    11 years ago

The lack of an obit was only the last red flag.
    The first was the original post.
    Remember "GOODBYE"? That's LP's style.
    Most people would have started the thread with:
    "Hi, this is Jan. I know LP had many friends here
    and am here to tell you that he's passed away....."
    The popping in and out with a few short words doesn't
    feel right. Somebody's following the thread very
    closely, but there's been no response to the inquiries
    about an obit.
    I am just annoyed at the possibility that LP is playing the KT
    ....yet again.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

In the last couple of years, our paper has begun printing a 'death notice'...about two lines, name of the deceased and the name of the business handling the arrangements if there are any being made. No services at the request of 'xxxxx' is becoming more and more common.

Actual informational obituraries are optional and not free (after decades of no fees involved) any longer. In fact, they are rather expensive, $200 is an easy amount to incur just listing place of birth, parents, spouse, immediate survivors, workplace, and add a photo or more extensive information and you've come closer to $400 with the information just appearing in the paper one day. The obit is available online in the archives for much longer, but a subscription to our paper is required to access the archives online.

• Tally
    11 years ago

Well, that's all well and good - that obits are optional.

But the poster specifically mentioned an obit and even gave the exact online address. So, if you go to masslive.com and search the name under All Massachusetts Obituaries, which pulls from all papers, nothing comes up.

It is curious.

• mechanikm
    11 years ago

I am new here and only found out about this site searching for obituary information on Richard Allen Rinard and if this is in fact a posting about that Richard Rinard, which from talking to my mother it sounds correct seeing she mentioned a Jan to me, then he did in fact pass away and my sister is picking up his ashes this week at the funeral home, I have been under the impression he was living in PA or OH, and just today found out he was living in the same town I live in, again if this is the same Richard then I can confirm it as I am his son and my mother has told me he didn't want anything extravagant from what we have been told. All the information I have has been filtered down to me through my sister and mother seeing as how my sister has been in contact with that half of the family. I do regret finding out he lived within ten minutes of me and I never met him, it sounds like he brought some cheer to the members of this site

• golfergrrl
    11 years ago

Your mother and sister never told you that you lived 10 minutes from a father you've never met? How ironic.
    Of course, you wouldn't mind telling us the name of the
    funeral home.

• mechanikm
    11 years ago

My mother just found out and my sister was probably worried what my reaction would be, there are no services and I was told he didn't want anything crazy, not to mention I don't have all the information myself, all I know is my sister is picking up his ashes with the instructions of his wishes this week

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Posted: Feb 13 2013, 10:49 AM

(I posted this somewhere else, and feel it might be appropriate to add me 2 ents here too. )

MY 2cents is that it is better to be "charitable" and naive than to be always looking for something to be skeptible about. Richard shared 'his story' with us over a period of time and entertained many of us at the KT with his wit and photography....and finally in his last months, found a way to enrich HIS life with a frog family and their stories. What IF any of it was NOT true?????? Was he asking for anything????? FAME or fortune on an internet forum? As for "JAN" .... what does it matter if she WAS a figment of his imagination (I do not think so!).... from his story, she agreed to take in a friend and share some aspect of their life in his remaining years after being 'friends' for many years. I'd say that was commendable, and we should all be so lucky. AND, even more importantly, IF this is a continuing saga of someone's imagination: maybe the world at large, should admire the fact that a imaginary life story and ending is better than none.

PS today ....I think I feel sorry for those of us who have so little faith in the human condition that they feel it so NECESSARY to just not take it at face value. I do realize that their have been people who have "used" the good wishes and prayers, even our sympathy.....Lazypup did none of that. He let us "IN" to areas of his life just to share his knowledge (perhapos that sharing came off as 'too agressive' to some, but that is all he did. I don't recall any prayer requests etc. etc......What did he ask of us???? OFF MY SOAP BOX FOR NOW.

• Chi
    11 years ago

Weird, from this post from LP last November, he indicated he talks to his son every day. Does he have more than one?

"I am no longer in Ohio, after I retired 5 yrs ago I turned the shop over to my son and I now live in Massachusetts, however I still stay in daily touch with my son and help him however I can from here, including him sending me prints and I work out the specs and material lists & such or sometimes he sends me photos of a job and I offer him pointers on how to handle it.

I also work part time with a plumber here that I have known for years and I teach some of the apprenticeship classes."

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread

• golfergrrl
    11 years ago

"..I think I feel sorry for those of us who have so little faith in the human condition that they feel it so NECESSARY to just not take it at face value."
    Don't feel sorry for me. I don't like to be scammed, conned,
    taken advantage of, lied to or treated like an imbecile.
    I WILLcall you out.

• alisande
    11 years ago

Interesting thread, Chi83. Lazypup sounds so much more functional--healthy and productive--than he indicated to us at the KT just last summer.

As for " always looking for something to be skeptical about," if it were anyone else, I don't think we'd see much skepticism here. But Lazypup's antics (a charitable term) make it hard to accept everything that comes down the pike through his GW account. Surely we haven't forgotten "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."

• Tally
    11 years ago

Exactly. His "antics" had gotten more and more improbable, especially the one about - was it the FBI?

Charity is a virtue, indeed. But....as we've discussed before, critical reasoning skills aren't evil, and being gullible doesn't make you a saint.

Edited to add: I guess you didn't read the link the last time I posted it. What does anyone get out of making up stories on line and watching people get sucked into them? Attention, gratification, superiority, amusement, a sense of power.

If he has died I am truly sorry. But my spidey senses are tingling.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY TImes: Faking Pain and Suffering on the Internet

This post was edited by tally on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 14:30

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

Could we have some suspicious old men (and, possibly, others?) around here?

I enjoyed his stories and comments ... if it turned out that he was making those stories up as he went along ... so what?

He didn't do anything that hurt me in the slightest ..

... and if it was a con job ... I'm inclined to laugh a bit and let it lie ...

... did I just say, "lie"?

(So can we change "RIP" to "LIP" [Lie In Peace])?

ole joyful

P.S. So ... are some of you about to say, "Enough of your LIP, joyful!"?

o j

• User
    11 years ago

I thought I would post these pictures in case you haven't seen them

• patti43
    11 years ago

En0ugh is en0ugh. If Lazypup died it's a very sad thing. If he didn't, that's even sadder. But I really think we sh0uld let him--and this p0st--rest in peace and get 0n with 0ur 0wn lives.

• bigack
    11 years ago

I totally agree, patti, wish the thread would be pulled!

• Sue_va
    11 years ago

Question: What made the background here change to green?

Sue

• lazypup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THIS IS NOT A SICK JOKE!!!!! I USE CAPS, BECAUSE I AM NOT A TYPIST. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER POSTED ANYTHING ONLINE, THERE WAS NO OBIT , BUT I THAUGHT THE DEATH NOTICE WOULD BE ON ( MASS LIVE ) I CANT FIND IT EITHER. HIS MOTHER SAID SHE WAS GOING TO PUT A OBIT IN THE "YOUNGSTOWN VINDICATOR" (GOOGLE) BUT ITS NOT THERE YET. THANK YOU T ALL THE PEOPLE OF FAITH WHO SENT MESSAGES , YOULL NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH THEY HELPED. JAN

• MornieFl
    11 years ago

I'm with Ol' Joyful on this one. Let it go...and let it die,lie, or rest in peace whichever suits you. It really is pitiful people have such shallow lives they can devote all this time to attacking someone they have never even known. It makes no difference to anyone except his left behind what the truth is since he asks nothing from anyone. "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone"

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

To put it all in perspective, tomorrow will still be Monday! Let's let LP RIP be he alive or dead.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

georgysmom, I agree !

• cynic
    11 years ago

This has become comical. If he's alive, he's having a good laugh at the number getting burrs in their bloomers over this, if he's dead, his ashes are jumping around laughing at the ones with the knotted knickers. Either way, good one pup! You got the hens cackling like crazy!

Since it seems to be such a big deal for some, why don't you just call the local authorities and track down the death certificate? Before someone puts in an obit for chicks and giggles. You can also check the courts for probate proceedings but maybe someone is hot on the trail of this already.

• satine_gw
    11 years ago

It makes me sad to read some of these posts. I have no idea if this is a hoax but I feel sympathy for those involved.
    I wish peace for LP and Jan no matter what.
    satine

• lindaohnowga
    11 years ago

chi83, I picked up on that right away and see that this "so-called" son, mechanikm just registered yesterday...Sunday, Feb. 17...."fishy" to say the least. To the best of my knowledge, Richard had "one" son and one daughter. Yes, Richard did live in Ohio in the same area where my hubby and I used to live and he did work out of Youngstown, OH for a while. We didn't know him, but knew some of his relatives.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

OMG just when do you think the son would have registered? years ago? HE said he found this site by doing a search for Richards name and this site popped up since there is this discussion currently going on with his name in it.

I just have to say this short of a bloody corpse I don't think some will ever be happy and even then the conspiracy theorist will scream photoshopped.

What a way to ruin a mans memorial thread.
    I wish they would removed all those post from this thread and leave it as his memorial as it should have been.
    Any doubters could have at least had the courtesy to do their doubting on another thread.
    This has gone beyond anything questioning to just flat out disrespect and disgusting.
    I would possibly expect to see something like this on a teen forum it is just crazy to be happening on an adult forum of MATURE adults.
    My goodness do you hate the man that much? What has he ever done to hurt anyone here NOTHING.
    Wow I bet no one ever asks a friend or husband to come to this LOVELY place to notify their FRIENDS of their illness or passing. I know I sure will remove it from my list of places to contact.
    RIP Richard

• kfca37
    11 years ago

I dont know if this person is living or dead, or something else. But as just general information.

Most states nowadays don't allow just anybody not directly related to the decedent to buy a death certificate...generally 50, or even 100, years have to pass before a disinterested party can do so. And they tend to be expensive, often in the $25 range. Florida allows anybody to purchase a death certificate, but until 50 years has passed, the cause of death is blanked out.

California is still an open state, which means both complete birth and death certificates are available upon request for something like a $14 fee. Now a couple of years ago I purchased a death certificate for a Boston, MA death from 20 years ago, but I don't know the current situation as to who is allowed to request one. I recall it was in the $20 range.

Of course, since living trusts have come into vogue, there's far less probates that go into the public domain.

I believe the SS Death Index gets updated on-line monthly, So if I were checking a recent death sans an obit, that's where I would go. Don't see the "hurry" exhibited here though.

• iowagirl2006
    11 years ago

RIP