SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Favoite Heartwarming Movies

jel48
15 years ago

We've got on a heartwarming movie kick. It's been awfully cold and snowy this winter and we've been watching a lot of movies. We watched a lot of ones that were recommended in a thread a few weeks ago where someone asked for recommendations.

How about recommending movies of the heartwarming variety. I'll start with a couple that we've watched lately. We just loved both of these. The names of others escape me at the moment but I'll add them in if I remember them later.

Christmas Cottage (or maybe it was The Christmas Cottage)

August Moon

Comments (69)

• paleblue
    15 years ago

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

I Remember Mama..............with Irene Dunne

You gotta see them!

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

Michael.....the story of John Travolta as a ghost.

• Related Discussions

The funniest movies you've ever seen?

Q

Comments (63)
    Did anyone mention Dudley Moore in "10"?!?!? (besides my first GF Bo Derrik...;-)) G(D that was funny! When he's mumbling with his mouth packed full after the dentist... The "I'll alert the media" comment from the butler, when he's gonna take a bath... The "Airplane" series... Johnny saying, "WHERE did you get those shoes...and that dresss, Ohhh!" to the distraught woman. Zoolander, Dodgeball...good stuff! "Oh my god, they're Break-dance fighting!" The Money Pit... When Tom Hanks is "caught" in the ceiling?!?!? (I think I almost "went" when that scene happened!) Beverly Hills Cop I was pretty damn funny too. Faron
    ...See More

Have you watched any good movies lately?

Q

Comments (5)
    I rented "The Kite Runner." It was as fantastic as the movie! Evoked all the same emotions, the beauty of the story was not just maintained, it was honored. The music fit the mood and the setting wonderfully. The actors were great. You do have to read most of, subtitles for everything set in Afghanistan or Pakistan, which is about 75-80%. I will probably buy it eventually so I can enjoy it over and over. I might even buy it for my mother for Mother's Day (I know she liked the book). It was just... WOW! Next time I get a day to myself, I'll rent "Atonement."
    ...See More

A Street Cat Named Bob

Q

Comments (22)
    cattyles, I just came back to this to post your exact same question. I just can't watch animal flicks without blubbering - even if they aren't actually sad, the sentimentality does me in. Lots of anthropomorphizing going on in my head. But based on the recommendations here, I'll give it a whirl. Even though my first cat was a ginger cat (my parents' cat when I was born) and he hated that I displaced him as the only child in the family. When I started walking and my mom caught him hissing and swatting at me (not in a playful way) and had to rehome him (at least that's what I hope she did); so my association with ginger cats is not all that positive.
    ...See More

I really hate movies that make me cry

Q

Comments (21)
    Movies don't have to be sad to make me cry. If they are beautiful, heart-touching, funny, have soaring music, or have a perfect resolution, I cry. Heck, that Folger's commercial where the son comes home in time for Christmas and puts on the coffee, that makes me cry. (I love a good pot of coffee lol) If a book made me weep, (Harold Fry), I know I cannot watch the movie. As for the commercials about evil side effects of drugs, we mute the TV as soon as commercials come on. Not just those, but those with annoying music like car and cable commercials. Life's to short to be annoyed.
    ...See More
  • casey_nfld
    15 years ago

October Sky
    The Sound of Music
    Little Women (with Susan Sarandon as Marmie)
    Life as a House
    Forrest Gump
    The Holiday
    Stepmom
    Love Actually

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

Driving Miss Daisy

As Good As It Gets

The Black Stallion

Falling in Love, Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro; it is so romantic!

What's Cooking, about Thanksgiving in L.A., with four ethnically very different families; great food & lots of family drama.

Nobody's Fool, with Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy; Tandy's last movie and one of PN's best!

A Family Thing, with Robert Duvall and James Earl Jones, who turn out to be half-brothers.

• danihoney
    15 years ago

Oh-M-G - Ice Castles!!!! I LOVED that movie. I can't count how many times I watched that movie between the ages of 11 and 15. I bumped in to Tom Skerritt in a little market on Lopez Island in Wa. YEARS later and thought I would DIE!!!
    (P.S. He's a lot skinnier in person.)

There are a LOT of good movies here. I love "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" Such a sweet movie. A lot of these listed make me cry. I'd pick just about any Doris Day movie or Danny Kaye for a pick-me-up. Gene Kelly too (LOVE HIM)

Batteries Not Included
    Cocoon
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    In Her Shoes
    The Holiday
    Father of the Bride (old and new)
    Juno
    Safe Passage (with Susan Sarandon - LOVE it)
    Butterflies are Free
    Always

Just to name a few

• JoanMN
    15 years ago

Titanic...the one with Barbara Stanwyck
    Biscuit Eater...filmed in the south (GA, I think) with mostly locals.
    The Yearling
    Caged with Elinor Parker
    Lonely Are the Brave with Kirk Douglas
    Imitation of Life with Lana Turner
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Stella Dallas with Barbara Stanwyck
    Each Dawn I Die with Jimmy Cagney
    I love the old Shirley Temple movies, too.

• liz
    15 years ago

August Rush...it's become one of my all time fav movies
    Where The Heart Is...who couldn't love FORNEY???
    The Other Sister...
    Waitress....

this is all my brain can remember after the night I had!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Don Juan DeMarco
    You've Got Mail
    ET

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

We just saw a movie on TV last night and I think it's on again tonight- "Akeelah and the Bee". It's definitely worth watching. Lawrence Fishburne and Angela Bassett are in it. It's about an 11 year old girl from South Central Los Angeles and spelling bees. Really nice movie. Kids should watch it, too.

• Tally
    15 years ago

OK, I'm going to plug my first 4 again, because if you want heartwarming AND inspirational, these are true stories and unlike most that have been listed.

Sadly, most people haven't heard of them. They aren't as famous as the golden oldies, but I assure you they are so worth watching.

We just watched Rudy again and I forgot that the real Rudy Ruettiger had a cameo in the movie. Rudy (played by Sean Astin) had undiagnosed learning disabilities and his dream to play football at Notre Dame was unattainable. (Not going to tell you what happened to Rudy)

Wikipedia: Rudy Ruttiger

Lorenzo's Oil - a true story about Augusto and Michaela Odone search for a cure for their son, who suffered from ALD. They found a "cure" which is used to this day and Augusto was awarded an honorary MD. Driven as parents of a boy who was diagnosed to die. (Not going to tell you what happens to Lorenzo)

Wikipedia: Lorenzo's Oil

Music of the Heart - The true story of Roberta Guaspari (played by Meryl Streep) who became a divorced single mom and started the East Harlem Violin String program in the New York public school system. The film culiminates in the first Fiddlefest (cameos by Izak Perlman and Isaac Stern)

Wikipedia: Music of the Heart

Seabiscuit - More than a story about the horse. It's a story about a crippled horse and a crippled jockey who rode together in the most famous comeback of all time. Academy Award winner in 2001.

Wikipedia: Seabiscuit

Sorry to be repetitive, but these are more recent than most of the ones mentioned and because they are true I found them to be among my most favorite of all time.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I saw The Martian Child on HBO today. What a sweet movie. John Cusack

• beach_del
    15 years ago

You've got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, The Notebook (my most favorite). I recently watched The Illusionist and really liked it. I'm a real sucker for a good love story.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Wow, I hadn't thought about The Gods Must be Crazy for a long time. Great movie!

Don't want to duplicate and there's so many great movies. I always feel good after a good comedy. But an assortment of movies are enjoyable:

Charlie Chan movies (preferably Sidney Toler & Warner Oland)
    Sherlock Holmes movies (with Basil Rathbone)
    Blazing Saddles
    Young Frankenstein
    (OK, most any Mel Brooks movie!)
    Shawshank Redemption
    Caveman
    The Breakfast Club
    Arsenic & Old Lace
    Ice Age
    Toy Soldiers
    Fargo

Obviously, I haven't seen many recent movies. I don't do theaters and don't have cable. Don't really worry either when there's so many great ones out there to be enjoyed.
    Witness For The Prosecution

• bigbaby
    15 years ago

Oooo, I forgot about Love Actually. I LOVED that one. Also we love Notting Hill and Two Weeks Notice.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Yes, yes, yes...A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

I'm watching it right now. I always cry at the scene with the flowers on her graduation day.

• susan_on
    15 years ago

Fried Green Tomatoes and Driving Miss Daisy. We were just talking about those movies earlier.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

50 First Dates

• jel48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let you all know how wide spread your influence can be. I printed out this thread the other day and folded the pages (several of them) and put them in my purse so I'd have them along when we went to the video store. When we got there, we picked out our movies from the list then headed up to pay for them. There was an 'older' gentleman paying for his movies in front of us. I heard the clerk ask if he wanted his list back or should she just toss it now that he had the movies. I whispered to Gary that 'here's another person that brings a list to the video store'. Then the man in front of us mentioned some other movie that he thought was really good. We started chatting with him and I wrote his recommendation on my list. Then I told him about asking the KT for recommendations for heartwarming movies. He asked whether I had another copy of the list. I didn't, of course, but told him it was still on the computer and I could print out another copy. So, I ended up handing him the printout of all of your recommendations and we parted with all of us feeling warm and fuzzy and happy. What a nice thing to be able to do as the result of all of YOUR recommendations!

Way to go, KT!!

• mrs.micki
    15 years ago

Untamed Hearts-Christen Slater,Melissa Tomei& Rosie Perez
    House of Cards -Kathleen Turner&Tommy Lee Jones

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

Murder She Purred a Mrs. Murphy mystery (she's a cat)
    Enchanted April
    Desk Set
    Mom's got a dte with a Vampire

Just fun stuff

• puppygirl1962
    15 years ago

Simon Birch
    The Cure
    Terms of Endearment
    My Girl

• mombondo
    15 years ago

A Summer Place
    Spencer's Mountain
    Otis & Milo
    Overboard
    Runaway Bride
    An Officer and A Gentleman
    Walk the Line
    The Family Stone

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

Rails and Ties, starring Kevin Bacon and Marcia Gay Harden. I highly recommend it. It is a very emotional and heartwarming movie. Another is Sweet Land - a wonderful story, beautiful scenery and a great soundtrack.

...i posted on a separate thread the other day, not realizing this one was going.

these are two movies that were exceptional.

another good one, lighthearted and fun - a fairy tale for adults, was stardust with robert deniro, michelle pfeiffer (what a role!) and claire danes. such a fun movie.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

/The Game with Michael Douglas
    Somethings gotta give Nicholson and Diane Keaton and a gorgeous home in the Hamptons.
    hannah and her sisters
    An affair to remember
    el torino is very good too
    wizard of oz
    charlie brown speicals

• mtnwomanbc
    15 years ago

Our favorites (not yet mentioned):
    Local Hero (absolutely excellent, if a bit quirky)
    Titanic
    Chronicles of Narnia (recent version)
    Jacob's Ladder
    What Dreams May Come (load up on tissues)
    Mary Poppins
    Sound of Music
    The Princess Diaries
    Shreck (1st is best)

I'm sure there are others...

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

The Boy Who Could Fly.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Boy Who Could Fly

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for Jarring my Memory. I tend to forget about the Titles of Movies.

• vannie
    15 years ago

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Cute, cute, cute.

• jel48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Imagine my surprise when I did a Google Search for "Best Hartwarming movies" and came up with the thread that I started on GW four years ago! Sometimes the good stuff really does stick around. So, I'm reviving it. For myself, and for all of you who made use of it's contents four years ago, and for those who joined more recently and never got to see this great list compiled by all of us here on the KT!

We just watched a couple of really good dog movies last night. They were:

Angel Dog
    Smitty

We also watched a movie a couple of weeks ago that we really enjoyed:

Courage

Also:

The 5th Quarter

• yayagal
    11 years ago

There's one on the LIfetime channel that really moved me. It's called Twist of Faith. You can find it on demand or search for it. Worth seeing.
    When I was 17 I went to N. Y. for a weekend with some friends, while there, my boyfriend came in from Fort Dix and all six of us went to Mass at St. Pats and then brunch and over to Radio City Hall to see An Affair To Remember. He and I held hands, watched the movie (sigh) and then he left. It's still one of my fav's and he is my husband of 53 years.

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Taking Chance with Kevin Bacon. Make sure tissue box is full.
    Pay it Forward

Only two movies I've purchased for myself

• Sally Brownlee
    11 years ago

You all have mentioned some good ones!
    These few come to mind...
    Meet Joe Black
    Fireproof
    Under the Tuscan Sun
    A River Runs Through It
    Remains of the Day
    Must Love Dogs
    Nights In Rodanthe

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Just watched a great little 2011 French film (English subtitles) called The Intouchables. It is based on a true story

Synopsis: In Paris, the aristocratic and intellectual Philippe is a quadriplegic millionaire that is interviewing candidates for the position of his caretaker with his red-haired secretary Magalie. Out of the blue, the rude African Driss cuts the line of candidates and brings a document from the Social Security and asks to Phillipe to sign it to prove that he is seeking a job position to receive his unemployment insurance. Philippe challenges Driss and offers a period of adaptation of one week to him to gain experience helping him. Then Driss would decide whether he would like to stay with him or not. Driss accepts the bet and moves to the mansion, changing the boring life of Phillipe and his employees.

• redcurls
    11 years ago

Mr Holland's Opus

• mare_wbpa
    11 years ago

The Way We Were

Funny Girl

I second "I Remember Mama" one of the best.

• vicki7
    11 years ago

My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Overboard
    The Blindside
    There's lots of others, but these are just off the top of my head.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Jodi, I watched The Intouchables last night and it is one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. I was going to mention it when I saw this thread. Everyone absolutely should see it and it is not a chick flick. It is a foreign film, so remember to turn on the English captions.

I also saw Quartet in the theater last weekend and that is very sweet. Maggie Smith is, once again, wonderful.

• breenthumb
    11 years ago

Great list. The God's Must be Crazy was a hoot! Let's not forget Rainman, The Graduate, White Nights with Gregory Hines and Mikhail Baryshnikov. Just enjoyed The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel recently, too.

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

For a different kind of movie, my vote goes to "The Gods Must Be Crazy".

• sleeperblues
    11 years ago

Hachi
    Where the Red Fern Grows

• killinsnakes
    11 years ago

Last Of The Dogmen.

My all time favorite. I have watched this every winter for about 15 years. Tom Berenger and Barbara Hershey.. Dont let the violent scene at the first scare you off. It sets the whole movie. Modern western romance.

• User
    11 years ago

I've been on the Inspirational movies lately. These were very good, most found at my library or bought on eBay.

7 days in Utopia
    The Bouquet
    The Grace Card
    Miracle of the widow
    Lost & found family
    Letters to God
    Fireproof
    Fly wheel
    Facing the Giants

Hope Springs

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

Angelaid, glad you mentioned Taking Chance. I couldn't remember the name and was about to Google Kevin Bacon. Most of the movies I could think of have already been mentioned. I would also add Pocket Full of Miracles with Bette Davis and Glenn Ford,,,,,,, and Dave with Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

We just saw The BlindSide for the second time. Love, love it.
    I still stand by The Notebook as my first love.

• rosebudms
    11 years ago

"The Quiet Man".......John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.
    "Sergeant York"........Gary Cooper

• yayagal
    11 years ago

jel48, I loved your story of meeting the older gentleman, doesn't it make you feel good to make a connection and then go on your merry way with a smile? Good for you for making a list.

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Yaya -- what a sweet memory of YOUR Radio City "date with destiny"!

Some of my heartwarming favorites:

While You Were Sleeping
    Frequency
    Truly, Madly, Deeply

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

pammyfay, I was going to mention While You were Sleeping but was afraid it was too much of a "chick flick". It is the only movie I have watched over and over again. I never tire of it. If I'm channel surfing and should come upon it, I don't care at what point it is in the movie, I watch it. I know it would never win an Academy Award, but it just does it for me.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

My favorite movie of all time: Joy Luck Club. I cry every time I see it.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Lars and the Real Woman - unusual, quirky, well acted and heartwarming!

Howard's End

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County